What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The weekly Paul Carige award

wibble

Bench
I felt sorry for Edwards, getting KO'd to give up crucial momentum was unlucky, but....

...it really was Carige-esque. It wasn't as big a moment, and there was more game to go and other players also contributed, but after losing the coach and leading vs the very fancied Storm, it was a poor few minutes from Edwards.

As a "weekly" award, just playing shit probably gets you on here. But really, Carige's efforts were so special for a number of reasons, and Edwards matched a few of them:

A big game? Check (not as big, but still important for their season)
Player really trying but being spectacularly stupid? Check (though Edwards' work rate is poor, I do think he is trying. He wasn't being lazy like Sue, just really dumb)
Player single handedly snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? This is the less Carige like effort- he did contribute greatly to important momentum swings, and the team could easily have won without his efforts, but there were others who also helped wreck the Tigers.

Still, as a weekly award, Edwards probably deserves a mention on this thread, even if it wasn't quite as single handedly destructive to his own team as Carige. But then, this is a special award for a reason, it will be difficult for anyone to top Carige.

Well done Edwards, early contender for the yearly award.

Charlie124

First Grade
Roberts had a good crack at it tonight but Kahu came in over the top to take the gong.

Special mention to Hunt for dropping the kickoff, lucky for him it went backwards this time. We all saw it though, Ben.

Big Salad

Juniors
That touch judge who suggested the high tackle penalty for Kasiano late in the game would have won this on any other night. Worst high tackle penalty I've seen.

Incorrect

Coach
I bagged Kahu in the match thread last night, and rightfully so as I can't believe a first grade footballer can make it to that level and not know the rule...

However - it has always struck me as a weird rule, even back to my junior days... I know it's nowhere near the top of any list of priorities but perhaps the rule should be looked at - Maybe they should change it so that the receiving team can pick it up and play on if they wish to... Not many would, most times teams will take the kick for touch from halfway (on a failed kick-off) or the 2 points directly in front if a drop-out doesn't go the 10.... but yeah, let the receiving team pick up and play on if they want, kinda like taking a quick tap from a penalty... maybe there's a drawback I'm not factoring in....

Latest posts