What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Contract

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
No where near that. He has no form behind him.
How he can go and see teams and ask for 900k with a straight face is exceptional.
Well Newie's offer upfront means its achievable...reckon Birdy just wants that sort of money at a competitive club. At the end of the day we were the lucky ones that got Bird at the bargain price for 3 years. Will always be remembered as part of our first premiership as will Benny.

cb4

First Grade
Someone will always pay you what you think you are worth, regardless if you are bad at your job.
Bird isn't bad at his job, but he will be over paid at 900k.

Who ever is advising him that he is a 6 or 1, is giving him the wrong advice. As a 6, he has less skill than Sean Rudder.
As a 1, he can't catch a spiral bomb or defuse a grubber.

He is being set up to fail.

Ads

First Grade
Guess I would look at it this way. Can we get better than Bird for the same money? If so let him go.

cb4

First Grade
Guess I would look at it this way. Can we get better than Bird for the same money? If so let him go.

If you want to look at it that way.

We have a better fullback, we have two better halves. We don't have a better edge second rower unless Lewis stays on.

We will be alright if he leaves.

Arnold

Juniors
Jack was always the one out of the 2 that I would be able to live with losing.

Its part of winning the Comp.

Weaponhead

Coach
If he wants more ball he should talk to Flange about a roving 13 role taking over from Gallen or Lewie's right edge role. He ain't a 1 and we have a better 6. He is a ball runner and fits best as a backrower.

He gets pumped deluxe by certain media types which ups the asking price. He has talent but does the game changing impact match elite player $$$?

Special K

Coach
Bird is too small for 13. 13 is another prop in 2017/2018 etc. Please stop this thinking. He'd be a backrower replacing Lewis.

Lewis is 6"2 105kg. Bird is 6"0 93kg. I can't think of another edge backrower that small.

sandshark

Bench
I'm thinking that he is pretty hesitant to sign for a side like Newcastle or Parra, it could be a long time between final berths and success (Parra looking more likely than Newcastle).

I wouldn't go over 650K for him.. He is still young and hard to pick in terms of what his best position is.
He wants the money and he wants the love; centre just isn't where he thinks he will get it.

As long as we have Holmes and a few other youngsters secured, I'd be ok with this one continuing his journey elsewhere.
We can't keep them all.

As long as we have Holmes and a few other youngsters secured,
Who else do we have that can play at the back? How many games has holmes missed through injury in 12 months? How many Bird? How many times Holmes carried off? How many time should Bird have been taken off, injured?
Should read, as long as we have Bird and a few others, we will be ok.

wibble

Bench
He is a great talent, but he is not an elite 5/8.

$900 k seems like elite spine money to me. I'd take Thurston, Cronk, Smith, or Maloney for that money (yes, I rate Maloney as worth the same to us as those guys).

Maybe Hodgson, Granville, Morgan, Hunt, Milford, Taylor, Munster, Slater, Tedesco, Pearce, or Cleary (depending on other positions).

Foran, Johnson, DCE, RTS, only if I didn't have one of the others.

I don't think Bird is in that company yet.

Mind you, I'd happily pay him that rather than Brooks that sort of money....

Latest posts