What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary...Who will he coach in 2017/18?

Which club will Ivan Cleary coach next from 2017/18?

• Wests Tigers

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

• St George Illawarra Dragons

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

davi

Juniors
Reports are Ivan Cleary will be the next Tigers coach, and its even possible he will coach the Tigers against the Dragons on Sunday.

"WESTS Tigers will confirm Ivan Cleary as the club’s new head coach within days.
Fox Sports’ chief NRL reporter James Hooper revealed to NRL Tonight an announcement will be made this week or early next week, and says Cleary could even coach the side in round five against the Dragons on Sunday.

“It looks as though Ivan Cleary is absolutely going to be the Wests Tigers head coach effective immediately,” Hooper said.

“We don’t think that announcement will be made tomorrow (Wednesday), more likely the end of the week or even early next week.

“Guaranteed Ivan Cleary will be the Wests Tigers head coach.”

Fairfax Media is reporting the deal will be for three and a half seasons, expiring in 2020.

It's been the worst kept secret in rugby league since Jason Taylor was unceremoniously dumped by the Tigers last Monday."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...h/news-story/0f95988b6c4e60e549dd896eb59a3201

Poor bastard. JT started what needs to be done and now he has to finish it. I'd punt the Dud 4 otherwise the pricks will continue to f**k the coach over in the future. Shame to lose Teddy but it has to happen

mxlegend99

Referee
If Cleary signs he will get rid of the guys on overs. The big 4 will not get what they expect. Tedesco is the only one close to worth it.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Funny that they didnt think to do this before the preseason...

Theyve basically just given away the year. Id be shocked if they get anywhere near the 8 this year.

betcats

Referee
Poor bastard. JT started what needs to be done and now he has to finish it. I'd punt the Dud 4 otherwise the pricks will continue to f**k the coach over in the future. Shame to lose Teddy but it has to happen

As a Penrith fan I want him to resign the halves long term so he doesn't come looking for Nath in a couple years. I was horrified when I heard he might go to the dogs, they have two shit halves and much more buying power than the tigs.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Wouldnt be too different than what he walked into at Penrith. Gus told him how bad it was going to be and he still took the job.

He's a big part of building this current team to where it is.

The difference would be we had Gould to sort out the mess, Tigers have nothing short of a shambles..

As a Penrith fan I want him to resign the halves long term so he doesn't come looking for Nath in a couple years. I was horrified when I heard he might go to the dogs, they have two shit halves and much more buying power than the tigs.

Nathan would still be in the 20's if daddy had his way

betcats

Referee
Don't really see many players who'd want to be coached by their Dad above under 12s tbh

You go around asking players that do you? Lol I know a lot wouldn't want it but Im fairly confident Ivan would love to coach his son, if he were to try and sign him when he became available he would be a good chance of getting him imo.

adamkungl

Immortal
You go around asking players that do you? Lol I know a lot wouldn't want it but Im fairly confident Ivan would love to coach his son, if he were to try and sign him when he became available he would be a good chance of getting him imo.

Just a hunch.. no need to get smart arsey about it.
I would think the potential to be seen as playing favourites/conflict of interest would deter both of them. Furthermore I don't think Ivan's ego is big enough to see himself as the best coaching option in the NRL for Nathan.

soc123_au

Staff member
Martin Lang only ever got coached by his old man iirc. He signed for Penrith a few months before it was announced John would be following him over though.

betcats

Referee
Just a hunch.. no need to get smart arsey about it.
I would think the potential to be seen as playing favourites/conflict of interest would deter both of them. Furthermore I don't think Ivan's ego is big enough to see himself as the best coaching option in the NRL for Nathan.

Its was a fair question imo. Ivan might think he knows his son and his game better than anyone therefore is the best option, or he might just think Nathan is the best youg half going around and I want to build around him. Nathan had a get out clause around his father in his last contract so they have obviously thought about it, im fairly certain Ivan even said he would like to coach Nathan in a pre match interview with Freddy before one of Nathans games last season.