What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

adamkungl

Immortal
Are they really spending $100million on digital something or others?

This is going to be the biggest flop since the bunker, at 5 times the price.

And then they cry poor lol. Dead set you'd think the State government runs the NRL with the efficiency they piss away money which should be going back into the actual sport.

Mister M

Juniors
crowd predictions for this weekend
Melbourne V Penrith 15,000

I think the Melbourne crowd will be closer to 20,000 on Saturday night.

A Saturday night game will naturally bring in a higher crowd than the only other game in town this season so far ( 16k on a Thursday night), the Storm are currently 4-0, there's no AFL game in town Saturday night, Melbournian's are now thinking it's 'footy season' as AFL is back plus it's free entry for kids for both this game and next Sunday's home game.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
How do explain WA, SA and NSW?

I think club membership history, afl media and centralized stadium has more of an impact in WA and SA. Plus the fact that Nrl has neglected these areas. But don't get me wrong, I am over clubs, supporters using excuses for ordinary crowds. I don't think the last 4 weeks can be used as a measuring stick for crowds with the sort of weather we have had and I think we are slowly improving but most of us I'm sure want to see it increasing quicker.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
The broncos get shit crowds because they are lazy....

They are a big fish in the small NRL pond, so it isnt hard to float to the top. At least the Sydney teams have an excuse of being in a massively oversaturated market, the Bronx have a city of 2mil to themselves and struggle to average 25k.

I want a second Brissy team just to put a rocket up the Broncos ass! They wouldnt want their "little brother" team coming in and getting more members/bigger crowds. We would get an arms race for supporters...

Yes broncos are shit and lazy. They take Brisbane supporters as fools. A second team is exactly what needs to happen. Bring on the arms race. Not sure about 25k average but I'm sure a second team in Brisbane with reciprocol rights to suncorp would help boost crowd numbers across the board.

But I don't think Sydney can use that excuse when Melbourne has the supporters/fans/crowds they have.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Are they really spending $100million on digital something or others?

This is going to be the biggest flop since the bunker, at 5 times the price.

And then they cry poor lol. Dead set you'd think the State government runs the NRL with the efficiency they piss away money which should be going back into the actual sport.

Yes $100mil is a lot of money but I think that amount is fair enough. We all hope that the money is spent well and with Grant once running a information technology company data3 I'm really hoping that it will help turbocharge the digital department.

adamkungl

Immortal
Yes $100mil is a lot of money but I think that amount is fair enough. We all hope that the money is spent well and with Grant once running a information technology company data3 I'm really hoping that it will help turbocharge the digital department.

I can't see it.
The biggest development cost is labour - moreso than infastructure etc.
A team of 100 would cost between 10-15mil a year on a range of reasonable salaries.
A team of 100 seems like massive overkill for a sports website and digital app. Maybe not.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Digital work is one of those areas you can spend a mint and get little in return. I wonder what the return on investment is? Current digital revenue is around $4mill a year, going to need a big jump to justify the investment.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I can't see it.
The biggest development cost is labour - moreso than infastructure etc.
A team of 100 would cost between 10-15mil a year on a range of reasonable salaries.
A team of 100 seems like massive overkill for a sports website and digital app. Maybe not.

The labour is the infrastructure. The digital staff create the infrastructure that will be used for years. Now I would also assume that the initial start up costs would be a lot higher than when the infrastructure/systems are in place and just maintenance is needed.

adamkungl

Immortal
The labour is the infrastructure. The digital staff create the infrastructure that will be used for years. Now I would also assume that the initial start up costs would be a lot higher than when the infrastructure/systems are in place and just maintenance is needed.

I meant physical infrastructure - computers, servers, web hosting, bandwidth, etc. Internet things.
Labour is your staffing/development costs.

Start up costs are a drain because you're putting millions into development and you don't have any return until you have a finished product.
I suspect you're underestimating "just maintenance". I very much doubt the size of the team will decrease.

The quesiton is I suppose - is the $100 million figure being thrown an investment over 1 year or 5 or 10? If it's a 10 year cost then fair enough.

Anyway this is kind of irrelevant to crowds - soz for the derail. Moving on..

taipan

Referee
The broncos get shit crowds because they are lazy....

They are a big fish in the small NRL pond, so it isnt hard to float to the top. At least the Sydney teams have an excuse of being in a massively oversaturated market, the Bronx have a city of 2mil to themselves and struggle to average 25k.

I want a second Brissy team just to put a rocket up the Broncos ass! They wouldnt want their "little brother" team coming in and getting more members/bigger crowds. We would get an arms race for supporters...

Couldn't have put it better.The Broncos know they are the only NRL team ,they expect people too just roll up because they're it.They have their u beaut stadium, no need to promote.Weak as.
A 2nd Brisbane side would indeed jerk them into promotion.

Brisbane needs a weekly NRL game,they need a city rivalry twice a year , that builds crowds.
When I see Storm get 18,000 plus members,and Broncos currently not double that figure, it says something.

At least the overwhelming majority of Sydney clubs have record memberships,although crowds to date) many rain affected0 have been a bit meh.

johnny plath

Juniors
That's exactly my point PR,spot on.The Broncos have all the dots crossed with facilities and city domination.If the Broncos averaged 40,000 plus ,perhaps a 2nd side may be on the horizon by now.Melbourne have more than half the members of the Broncos ,in a city where there is crap media coverage and promotion.

I know a lot is made of Broncos fta coverage, but that is Thursday and Friday nights. this obviously brings benefits that are commented on often enough, but theyre average time slots for growing crowds, and growing future spectators. Broncos have regularly asked for Sunday arvo, and Saturday evening time slots but get f**k all. As we said, times change but when the Broncos were averaging over 40k during the 90s, it was at the old QE2 stadium which was f**ked to get too with limited parking and f**k all public transport, yet people made the effort whenmost of their games were Sunday arvo and people had the opportunity and time to get out their. I'm too far from Suncorp for thurs/friday night but would easily be able to attend regularly with some actual weekend footy. Don't know how many others would be in the same boat.

taipan

Referee
I know a lot is made of Broncos fta coverage, but that is Thursday and Friday nights. this obviously brings benefits that are commented on often enough, but theyre average time slots for growing crowds, and growing future spectators. Broncos have regularly asked for Sunday arvo, and Saturday evening time slots but get f**k all. As we said, times change but when the Broncos were averaging over 40k during the 90s, it was at the old QE2 stadium which was f**ked to get too with limited parking and f**k all public transport, yet people made the effort whenmost of their games were Sunday arvo and people had the opportunity and time to get out their. I'm too far from Suncorp for thurs/friday night but would easily be able to attend regularly with some actual weekend footy. Don't know how many others would be in the same boat.

Understand mate.Hopefully next year when the NRL finally gets scheduling control, clubs can get a far better deal for their attending fans ,than what's on offer now.If they can' tell teh Tv stations this is our schedule take it or leave it, nothing really changes.
Rivalries should be family friendly times, such as Cows v Broncos,Sharks v Dragons,Parraatta v Dogs,Storm v Raiders.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i honestly think 4 people from this forum could sit around with a large sheet of paper and schedule a season that would average at least 18k / game...

pretty simple ideas;

Big game at ANZ every Sunday arvo with Sydney rivals
Throw marketing cash at a strong regional market for Thurs (like knights / Gold coast)
Leverage NZ Friday early game,
Make DST work for you on friday nights with 8.45 Broncos games
Schedule storm around AFL
Throw serious revenue bonus' at clubs, that exceed crowd targets .
Reciprical rights to all NRL members at all stadiums all games.. (first in first served)
Kids $5 all games all stadiums
Every member who goes to all 12 home games, gets a free A reserve GF ticket
they could pay people to go and you'd still never ever attend a game

you'd just whinge here all day

moffla

Bench
I think the Melbourne crowd will be closer to 20,000 on Saturday night.

A Saturday night game will naturally bring in a higher crowd than the only other game in town this season so far ( 16k on a Thursday night), the Storm are currently 4-0, there's no AFL game in town Saturday night, Melbournian's are now thinking it's 'footy season' as AFL is back plus it's free entry for kids for both this game and next Sunday's home game.

This. Our next two games should be touching 20k

chahrour123

Juniors
I didn't actually exactly see the round 5 scheduling until today. Actually looks pretty decent this round. Will be higher than a 15k crowd avg. AAMI Park will get 20k, ANZ will feature 2 teams and you'd think Dragons fans will turn up. Raiders are taking on the Eels if that gets 15k that would be great. I think the 2 disappointing crowds will be the Thursday game and Friday 6pm game. Warriors fans with Foran returning should get 14-15k.

insert.pause

First Grade
I meant physical infrastructure - computers, servers, web hosting, bandwidth, etc. Internet things.
Labour is your staffing/development costs.

Start up costs are a drain because you're putting millions into development and you don't have any return until you have a finished product.
I suspect you're underestimating "just maintenance". I very much doubt the size of the team will decrease.

The quesiton is I suppose - is the $100 million figure being thrown an investment over 1 year or 5 or 10? If it's a 10 year cost then fair enough.

Anyway this is kind of irrelevant to crowds - soz for the derail. Moving on..
it's $20m p.a. & with such little detail about it we don't really have a gauge to make a judgement on whether it's a good investment or not. The person responsible for it, Rebekah Horne, setup tenplay and has a pretty good reputation by the sounds of things. She wouldn't have gone to the NRL unless they were serious about what they wanted to do.

adamkungl

Immortal
it's $20m p.a. & with such little detail about it we don't really have a gauge to make a judgement on whether it's a good investment or not. The person responsible for it, Rebekah Horne, setup tenplay and has a pretty good reputation by the sounds of things. She wouldn't have gone to the NRL unless they were serious about what they wanted to do.

Ok, 20m a year is reasonable if theyre looking to have a big scope on the project. Top notch website and mobile apps, high quality streaming, social media, etc. For that kind of price it needs to be 5* stuff though - anything less will be a waste.

jim_57

Staff member
This. Our next two games should be touching 20k

Having just moved to Melbourne for work I have been reasonably surprised by the Interest in the storm down here. Where I work has a few interstate (the good ones) and Kiwis which could be giving me a false impression, but even the locals seem to take interest in games if they're on TV. I could be proven totally wrong, but I feel like they're on the verge of a big surge in crowds and interest.

In my 3 months here I've heard far more word of mouth about the Storm than I heard about the Lions in 1 year living in Brisbane.