What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate Gareth Widdop

BennyV

Referee
This is a silly comment.

The Dragons' improved form can be put down to a number of areas: 1. playing either mediocre or teams not at their optimum 2. no B. Marshall at halfback, which was never his position 3. Widdop slowly gaining form due to the above point and 4. forwards such as Vaugan playing out of their skins at the moment.

If you really believe Marketo has been an issue in the past, you have NFI.
Lol settle down Jake!

God-King Dean

Immortal
I just moved a massive chunk of this thread (from the passed week, I'll be here forever if I did the entire thread) to The Swamp

I've tried my best to leave all posts which are reasonable discussion. People are entitled to the opinions no matter how daft they seem.

Moved the posts are nonsense & name calling.

Hopefully this promotes normal conversation, & the name calling & inane babble can be kept on the Swamp.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I have been a WIddop critic big time but he was absolutely outstanding yesterday. Maybe Benji was affecting his game. His kicking game yesterday was great. Not sure whether his improvement if because of Benji leaving or his attitude but whatever it is he is showing to be be a great asset and Ben Hunt will take him to the next level. If they can re-sign him on decent coin and nothing too over the top it could be a good bit of business.

I love been proven wrong like this as I surely thought Widdop was just not up to standard.

SBD82

Coach
I just moved a massive chunk of this thread (from the passed week, I'll be here forever if I did the entire thread) to The Swamp

I've tried my best to leave all posts which are reasonable discussion. People are entitled to the opinions no matter how daft they seem.

Moved the posts are nonsense & name calling.

Hopefully this promotes normal conversation, & the name calling & inane babble can be kept on the Swamp.
Would have saved a lot of time if you'd just renamed this thread to what it should have always been called: The Swamp III

KiamaSaint

Coach
This is a silly comment.

The Dragons' improved form can be put down to a number of areas: 1. playing either mediocre or teams not at their optimum 2. no B. Marshall at halfback, which was never his position 3. Widdop slowly gaining form due to the above point and 4. forwards such as Vaugan playing out of their skins at the moment.

If you really believe Marketo has been an issue in the past, you have NFI.
So Marketo should be in the 17?

Sloth

Juniors
It is amazing the form reversals you see when players are coming off contract. Arguably the best we have seen out of Widdop and Lafai since wearing the red V. Offer them a 1 year extension and make them earn their contracts every year :grinning:

possm

Coach
I'd say:
The forwards have given Widdop the room he needs to do his stuff.

A revised, believable game plan.
A belief in his own ability.
Players backing him up and being rewarded with results.
McInnes providing good service.

ALSGI

Bench
I have been a WIddop critic big time but he was absolutely outstanding yesterday. Maybe Benji was affecting his game. His kicking game yesterday was great. Not sure whether his improvement if because of Benji leaving or his attitude but whatever it is he is showing to be be a great asset and Ben Hunt will take him to the next level. If they can re-sign him on decent coin and nothing too over the top it could be a good bit of business.

I love been proven wrong like this as I surely thought Widdop was just not up to standard.
Slippery
I dont think any one's criticism of Widdop, or the other main culprits have been proven wrong based on their performances last year and beyond.

Like you I think most of us are happy to give due credit and based on the last few weeks Widdop has to be applauded and supported. He certainly seems to be getting that from the players and staff.

Hope we're still applauding in September.

emu62

Juniors
[QUOTE="loveoursaints, post: 12080494, member: 47675"

. He is paid to create tries which he certainty DOES NOT.[/QUOTE]

BaHahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahaahahahahaahhahaahhahaahh
hahahahahhaahhahah.FMD,BAhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahahah
Absolutely hilarious, one of your best loveoursaints

Old Timer

Coach
Widdop is playing the best I have seen him play. I wonder whether getting rid of Benji and Rein is a factor in his form.
Sign him up now.
Don't wonder too much!!!!!!!!!
Widdop is a smart footballer and seems quite a shy style of character and all the hoopla around Benji was no doubt destabilising.
No doubt Hunt will be a far better fit as he like Widdop not a media megalomaniac and he too will go about his work in a quiet and ethical way.
More good stuff to come I'm sure.

getsmarty

Immortal
Once they got the reaction they were looking for, St George Illawarra captain and 5/8 Gareth Widdop had the repertoire of plays to hurt them on the scoreboard.

He set up four tries. Two of them with perfectly placed kicks, in behind the Tigers' defensive line. The other two tries came courtesy of brilliant long spiral passes from Widdop to his outside men, well beyond the reaches of the West Tigers defenders. These plays were obviously planned and clinically executed.

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/04/03/...r-deserves-a-new-contract#DKt8hbhQGgrdCzWm.99

slippery5

Juniors
6pm Sunday Mr Widdop was successful in having his sentence down graded from "Do not pass Go, but go directly to Gaol" to be given another 6 x rounds to continue his Good "behaviour" form & to come clean on who stole his identity for the previous 3 yrs. I'm a believer in rehabilitating offenders.

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors
In all seriousness he has had an amazing start to the season if he keeps this up he deserves another 2-3 year extension. The combination of Widdop and hunt would be lethal

Minh

First Grade
Widdop and Hunt would carve it up....we need to sign Widdop and Duges up ASAP.......

possm

Coach
It was OK to bag Widdop's performances when he was playing poorly, I was one of those who joined in with calls of replacing him at end of contract. But now it has become clear that it was Mary's game plan and structures that limited his creative style. I believe the halfbacks selected to pair with him in the halves were also a bad fit.

I am glad Widdop has found form and that the constraints holding him back have been dumped. If he can keep up this form he will be a dynamic partner for Hunt next year.

I believe the only problem Widdop faces moving forward this year is whether or not our forwards can continue to dominate the opposition and make room for Widdop to wield his magic.

Latest posts