What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Homebrew Thread

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Does anyone suggest a clone recipe for Mountain Goat Organic Steam Ale & can you culture the yeast?.

From AHB:

Ok I spoke directly to Dave about cloning this awhile ago and he gave me a quick run down:
It's 25% wheat malt and the rest is pilsner malt
Bittered with P.O.R to around 12 IBUs and the rest is a mix Galaxy, Casade and Citra
Yeast is of course Saf US-05.

I would suggest equal amounts of aroma hops from 20min onward.

More info here:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/59572-mountain-goat-steam-ale-clone/

EDIT - here is the recipe apparently from the horse's mouth:

Here's what we do:

Organic Pilsener Malt - 87.5%
Organic Wheat Malt - 12.5%

No hops in the kettle.

60 min boil.

OG 1.044
FG 1.010

Approx 2-3 grams/litre of beer in Galaxy, Citra & Motueka hops - depending on alpha acids and oil contents - in the whirlpool.

Dry hop depending on flavour/aroma post fermentation - at least 2g/l depending on oil content and your dry hopping methods.

We aim for 22BU.

Neutral ale yeast.

Don't filter.

Bottle.

Drink!

Last edited:

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Jeese kegging is so ridiculously expensive. I am looking around but it's just impossible to even get 1 keg up and running for under $500 and I already have the chest freezer.

Gumtree is useless, no one sells their kegging gear.

TiggaPlease

Jeese kegging is so ridiculously expensive. I am looking around but it's just impossible to even get 1 keg up and running for under $500 and I already have the chest freezer.

Gumtree is useless, no one sells their kegging gear.

Hey HF, if you don't need fixed taps straight away you could grab something like this: http://www.thekeggingcompany.com.au/kegging-party-kit-two-taps-kegs/
then grab a c02 cylinder: http://www.thekeggingcompany.com.au/co2-cylinder-2-6-kg/

Knock $80ish off if you only want one keg.

then get some intertaps or the like when funds allow.

TiggaPlease

yeah looks good, if u get one of those packages they throw in a 2.6kg c02 tank for $144

My only real recommendation would be get quality stainless forward sealing taps, I've got the perlick 650ss flow controls and they're awesome but about $100 a pop. The keg king intertaps seem to get pretty good reviews too and are about $40 cheaper.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Yeah I want to go with the intertaps. As you said, they are forward sealing and are pretty much identical to the perlick. I think I read somewhere that the patent was up with perkick forward sealing taps so now more are coming onto the market.

If I got one of those bundles I'd swap the brumby tap for an intertap, I have also heard that you shouldn't bother with plastic disconnects and should go with quality stainless steel.

TiggaPlease

Plastic disconnects are fine - As long as you get CMB or Cornelius branded ones. The generic Chinese plastic ones are f**ked and have lost me a couple of full kegs.

You're going to love kegging, so much quicker and easier than bottling.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Cheers for that Frank, is it possible to culture the yeast from the bottle or is it just a conditioning yeast?.
Not sure - I thought their stuff was exclusively in cans. If they bottle condition I would assume that they use the dormant yeast in the beer, but given that they've indicated they just use US-05 or 1056 it's probably not worth it.

I don't think they have their own proprietary yeast like Coopers etc.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Yeah I want to go with the intertaps. As you said, they are forward sealing and are pretty much identical to the perlick. I think I read somewhere that the patent was up with perkick forward sealing taps so now more are coming onto the market.

If I got one of those bundles I'd swap the brumby tap for an intertap, I have also heard that you shouldn't bother with plastic disconnects and should go with quality stainless steel.
It is worth considering going for MFL fittings - makes it so much easier to swap out disconnects (if you want to force carbonate through the beer dip tube). I went for the stainless steel disconnects and I already had MFL fittings. Not too much of an investment for me but such peace of mind.

http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-and-keg-disconnects/keg-disconnects-home-brew.html

+1 on kegging - soooooo much easier and it's totally worth it to have your own beer on tap.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I tasted Freezer Burn last night. Pretty damn good. It is a bit of a muddle of flavours but I only had a small glass as I'm strictly keto during the week. I'll take some time over the weekend to wrap my head around it but I'm really happy so far with the balance between alcohol, bitterness and hoppiness.

My only mistake was releasing the hops from the paint strainer bag a few days before kegging. I ended up losing at least 3L of beer in hoppy sludge at the bottom of the fermenter. I reckon it gave it a kick in flavour and aroma though.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
After drinking a fair bit of it over the weekend I am really happy with it. Photo below:

FreezerBurn.jpg

I put another Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale in the cube on Saturday and will probably pitch tonight just to get something a little more easy drinking back on tap.

TiggaPlease

That looks unreal Grimey!

I made a simple Aussie ale on the weekend. Ale, wheat and a tiny bit of crystal. POR at 60. Should be a decent smasher.

Have been pretty conservative with my recipes recently so I'm looking at going all out on my next one - Currently formulating a hoppy ale with lemongrass, chili and coriander leaves - Will boil and dry hop the lemongrass and chili and only dry hop the coriander.

Hoping to make something similarish in profile to Garage Project's Death from Above, although without the mango.

Will get the citrus burst from Centennial and Chinook.

Am considering adding some galangal too, but that might be over the top. Lime zest is another option.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I find keeping it simple is the best.

I have found I rarely follow any recipes with all grain. It's hard to go wrong with any malt bases unless you are doing something from left field.

What I like to do is have a low flavour session ale, a hoppy APA or XPA, an IPA and a stout.

I just pick some hops and run with it.

My next brew I am thinking of just doing a big simcoe pale ale. It's a terrific hop and I wanna try it by itself.

I heard that you can buy dry cubes of Jim Beam that you can put into a bottle of water to turn it into a proper bottle of Jim Beam.

WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-23_14-4-59.png
    upload_2017-3-23_14-4-59.png
    409.6 KB · Views: 3

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Got this fermenting at the moment.

Pirate Life Pale Ale Clone

4.00 kg Pale malt
0.50 kg Munich Malt
0.30 kg Light Crystal Malt
0.10 kg Acid Malt

15 g Centennial (or whatever bittering hops you have to an IBU of 15 or so, I just had some centennial to get rid of) Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Cascade - Boil 15 min
15.00 g Mosaic - Boil 15 min
10.00 g Cascade - Boil 5.0 min
10.00 g Mosaic - Boil 5.0 min
20.00 g Cascade - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min
15.00 g Mosaic - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min

I used 2 packets of US05

25g Cascade - Dry Hop
20g Mosaic - Dry Hop

OG 1.053
FG 1.010
5.6 %ABV
IBU 50
Colour 12.6EBC

This is a 20L batch size at around 80% efficiency.

This will be my first kegged batch, my keezer is finished. Just currently checking my system for gas leaks. Seems fine so far.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Looks good. I haven't actually tried the Pale Ale. My Dad has some cans out at his place so will go out there tomorrow.

My Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale has fermented out so I'll cold crash and fine this weekend and then it will have to wait patiently for a tap to open up.

TiggaPlease

Brewed the lemongrass chilli ale on Friday night.

Used 1 chopped up birdseye chilli and 2 bashed and chopped stalks of lemongrass with 5 mins to go. The OG sample certainly tasted less sweet than normal, and there is a slight peppery sensation on the tongue. I'll be adding at least 2 more chillis and 2 more stalks of lemongrass dry, and a bunch of chopped up coriander.

I think this will work out pretty well.

Also ran out of base malt on the weekend so will be needing to stock up this week, I might buy some Maris Otter and try my hand at an ordinary bitter or a dark mild.

Anyone got any tips for brewing English style beers? I haven't had much success in previous attempts.

Latest posts