What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Understanding the 2021 World Cup Qualifiers

jim_57

Staff member
Everyone in the International forum likely agrees with you on this.

What we don't agree with is giving Asia-Pacific an extra spot so an island with a smaller population than a medium sized Sydney suburb gets an easy qualification.

Aside from doing nothing to expand the value of the game or tournament due to their size, they aren't better than any of the other teams qualified, nor do they have more home grown players.

Likely by the time 2021 qualifiers roll around they'll have pretty tough competition.
If any of the current 6 Asia-Pacific nations don't auto-qualify they'll still have to beat them to get in (likely Tonga).
If there's a playoff, to get 7th in the region they'll have to beat Philippines.
Then beat Lebanon.
Or South Africa and Canada/Jamaica.

Pretty tough games all round, certainly not cricket scores in Cooks favour (Except maybe South Africa).

Agree with a lot of that, I think by 2021 there is every chance some new teams could be in with a shot and existing fringe teams could be in with a much better chance.

adamkungl

Immortal
I might be alone on this, but I think some of the prime targets for international expansion in the next few years should be the top 10 Rugby Union countries that don't have a decent RL presence yet.

Anywhere that plays Rugby at a decent level should have some blokes willing to give League a crack. Even if they're the leftovers - who knows maybe theyre better suited to the 13 man game. The game started by splintering from RU, why not run with it..

I'm talking:
Japan
South Africa
Namibia
Kenya
Argentina
Uruguay
Georgia
Romania
Portugal
Germany

Force

Juniors
Everyone in the International forum likely agrees with you on this.

What we don't agree with is giving Asia-Pacific an extra spot so an island with a smaller population than a medium sized Sydney suburb gets an easy qualification.

Aside from doing nothing to expand the value of the game or tournament due to their size, they aren't better than any of the other teams qualified, nor do they have more home grown players.

Likely by the time 2021 qualifiers roll around they'll have pretty tough competition.
If any of the current 6 Asia-Pacific nations don't auto-qualify they'll still have to beat them to get in (likely Tonga).
If there's a playoff, to get 7th in the region they'll have to beat Philippines.
Then beat Lebanon.
Or South Africa and Canada/Jamaica.

Pretty tough games all round, certainly not cricket scores in Cooks favour (Except maybe South Africa).
I dont think Asia-Pacific should get an extra automatic spot, I just dont think Europe deserve a 7th spot either nor the Africa/Middle East and the 2nd America's. I would rather the 7th European, 2nd America's and the African/Middle East spots be up for grabs in a repechage play-off tournament for those that didnt make it through their regional qualifiers. The Emerging Nations tournament is a good opportunity to do that.

I agree they arent any better than the teams already qualified but they are better than the next lot like Russia, Serbia,Sth Africa, Canada etc...

Force

Juniors
I don't think they should be punished, I just think nations producing players and with the most developed domestic scenes should be rewarded. This then gives other nations an incentive to earn their way to an easier way to qualify for big tournaments.
Rugby League is already developed there
Not sure how they're being punished by having to be 6th best in their already over-represented region to qualify for a World Cup
Well given their smaller population size people seem to think its ok to overlook them for bigger Nations where league is still a minor blip especially when its been thriving in the Cooks for over 3 decades. This was none more evident when they were overlooked for the Pacific test series between Samoa/Tonga/Fiji and PNG.

jim_57

Staff member
Rugby League is already developed there

Well given their smaller population size people seem to think its ok to overlook them for bigger Nations where league is still a minor blip especially when its been thriving in the Cooks for over 3 decades. This was none more evident when they were overlooked for the Pacific test series between Samoa/Tonga/Fiji and PNG.

Would I be correct in guessing Fiji would still have more teams domestically? and definitely produce more players? That's the point I'm getting at, they should be given every chance to qualify, but given the size of their country and player base should be very happy with their level.

Agree they should be a part of the rep weekend.

jim_57

Staff member
I dont think Asia-Pacific should get an extra automatic spot, I just dont think Europe deserve a 7th spot either nor the Africa/Middle East and the 2nd America's. I would rather the 7th European, 2nd America's and the African/Middle East spots be up for grabs in a repechage play-off tournament for those that didnt make it through their regional qualifiers. The Emerging Nations tournament is a good opportunity to do that.

I agree they arent any better than the teams already qualified but they are better than the next lot like Russia, Serbia,Sth Africa, Canada etc...

Think listing Canada in there is presumptuous, would be a good game at full strength IMO. I don't think there is conclusive proof they would definitely be in the top 16 teams in 2021 anyway, Canada and Jamaica would be a similar level and in 5 years time and perhaps the help of some heritage players Serbia and Phillipines could develop to be a match for them. That's just guess work, but the tournament is 5 years away so that's all we have.

jim_57

Staff member
I might be alone on this, but I think some of the prime targets for international expansion in the next few years should be the top 10 Rugby Union countries that don't have a decent RL presence yet.

Anywhere that plays Rugby at a decent level should have some blokes willing to give League a crack. Even if they're the leftovers - who knows maybe theyre better suited to the 13 man game. The game started by splintering from RU, why not run with it..

I'm talking:
Japan
South Africa
Namibia
Kenya
Argentina
Uruguay
Georgia
Romania
Portugal
Germany

The struggle is getting a comp that is anything other than a few RU players running around for a few weeks in the off season. Definitely worth a look, but if it's just a bunch of anatuer blokes running the show it will be a major uphill battle.

Of course some targeted influence from NRL or SL clubs could be a major help.

adamkungl

Immortal

As I said above I'd go
Euro 6
A-P 6
Americas 2
MEA 1
Playoff series 1

Force

Juniors
Agree with a lot of that, I think by 2021 there is every chance some new teams could be in with a shot and existing fringe teams could be in with a much better chance.
Unless they can get players playing at the top level (NRL/SL) or just below then I cant see that happening.
Would I be correct in guessing Fiji would still have more teams domestically? and definitely produce more players? That's the point I'm getting at, they should be given every chance to qualify, but given the size of their country and player base should be very happy with their level.

Agree they should be a part of the rep weekend.
Fiji most probably do have more teams and produce more domestic players yes but they're about even on the heritage players.

Force

Juniors
Think listing Canada in there is presumptuous, would be a good game at full strength IMO. I don't think there is conclusive proof they would definitely be in the top 16 teams in 2021 anyway, Canada and Jamaica would be a similar level and in 5 years time and perhaps the help of some heritage players Serbia and Phillipines could develop to be a match for them. That's just guess work, but the tournament is 5 years away so that's all we have.
I would very much doubt Canada can foot it with a full strength Cook Islands team, same with Serbia, Philippines and what not. Cook Islands at full strength (admittedly with heritage players) would be full of NRL and Super League players. Unless those teams can match that then they would'nt stand a chance.

Force

Juniors
A full strength Cook Islands side would look something like this:

1. Valentine Holmes
2. Jordan Rapana
3. Joseph Manu
4. Anthony Gelling
5. Dominique Peyroux
6. Brad Takairangi
7. Isaac John
8. Josh Papali'i
9. Sione Katoa
10. Dylan Napa
11. Tepai Moeroa
12. Zeb Taia
13. Alex Glenn

14. Zane Tetevano
15. Kenny Edwards
16. Sam Mataora
17. Tinirau Arona

11 of the team have already represented the Cook Islands and at least 3 more of these will represent them vs PNG come May.

jim_57

Staff member
Unless they can get players playing at the top level (NRL/SL) or just below then I cant see that happening.

Fiji most probably do have more teams and produce more domestic players yes but they're about even on the heritage players.

Well that would be the plan, IMO sooner or later the change in immigration trends will start helping some Asian national sides. Hopefully any of them can buold a strong domestic scene to back that up.

I don't think that is true at all, like it or not how many players from that Cook Islands team would be born in the Cooks? Fiji has a good handful or Fijian born players available. That's not a dig at the Cooks, I think they do very well for a nation their size and heritage players will always be a necessity for them.

They should be given their chance to qualify in every tournament, but if they do qualify it should be at the expense of Tonga, Samoa etc, not at the expense of other areas.

Force

Juniors
Well that would be the plan, IMO sooner or later the change in immigration trends will start helping some Asian national sides. Hopefully any of them can buold a strong domestic scene to back that up.

I don't think that is true at all, like it or not how many players from that Cook Islands team would be born in the Cooks? Fiji has a good handful or Fijian born players available. That's not a dig at the Cooks, I think they do very well for a nation their size and heritage players will always be a necessity for them.

They should be given their chance to qualify in every tournament, but if they do qualify it should be at the expense of Tonga, Samoa etc, not at the expense of other areas.
I know Sam Mataora and Tepai Moeroa were born in the Cook Islands but like the other Pacific Island teams (bar PNG) most would be raised in NZ or OZ. They would be able to foot it with the other Pacific Island Nations and be too good for those other fringe Nations. For teams to be competitive or foot it with the top sides they will have to feature heritage players or be on the end of cricket scores.

jim_57

Staff member
I know Sam Mataora and Tepai Moeroa were born in the Cook Islands but like the other Pacific Island teams (bar PNG) most would be raised in NZ or OZ. They would be able to foot it with the other Pacific Island Nations and be too good for those other fringe Nations. For teams to be competitive or foot it with the top sides they will have to feature heritage players or be on the end of cricket scores.

I think we're going around in circles here, you think it should black and white the 16 best teams in the World Cup and I would prefer a set number from each region to prevent over saturation from the Islands. IMO the RLIF has to balance playing strength and commercial opportunities and what is best for the game going forward.

Neither Cook Islands, Russia, Canada or Phillipines will win the 2021 World Cup, I don't prioritizing lack of "cricket scores" above ALL else is the right idea.

Force

Juniors
I think we're going around in circles here, you think it should black and white the 16 best teams in the World Cup and I would prefer a set number from each region to prevent over saturation from the Islands. IMO the RLIF has to balance playing strength and commercial opportunities and what is best for the game going forward.

Neither Cook Islands, Russia, Canada or Phillipines will win the 2021 World Cup, I don't prioritizing lack of "cricket scores" above ALL else is the right idea.
To me our arse is back to front where the International Game lags behind a game between two States and a domestic comp (NRL/SL). I want the International Game to be at the forefront but you wont get that when people treat the World Cup as a development tournament. A World Cup must be treated as the pinnacle, this is part of the reason why the Union counter-part is so successful because the International game is at the top.If you want development in a World tournament use the Emerging Nations instead.

What I would like to see is 6 teams for both Europe and Pacific (move Asia in with the Middle East, they and the ME region would do much better that way cos the Pacific teams are too good to get past). Also, 1 from the America's. So thats 13 automatic qualifying spots, the other 3 I would like for them to be up for grabs at an Emerging Nations tournament where all the other teams who missed out on the proper World Cup qualifications attend and strive to win it, come second or third. I think this is fair and less confusing then how they have things cos every Nation is given a fair chance and the best 3 will go through.

Edit to add: Enforce the domestic player rule (or at least limit the number of Pro players per team) at the Emerging Nations tournament so heritage teams dont flog the others.This will even the tournament out even more and reward those who have put in the effort to develop the game at home.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
To me our arse is back to front where the International Game lags behind a game between two States and a domestic comp (NRL/SL). I want the International Game to be at the forefront but you wont get that when people treat the World Cup as a development tournament. A World Cup must be treated as the pinnacle, this is part of the reason why the Union counter-part is so successful because the International game is at the top.If you want development in a World tournament use the Emerging Nations instead.

What I would like to see is 6 teams for both Europe and Pacific (move Asia in with the Middle East, they and the ME region would do much better that way cos the Pacific teams are too good to get past). Also, 1 from the America's. So thats 13 automatic qualifying spots, the other 3 I would like for them to be up for grabs at an Emerging Nations tournament where all the other teams who missed out on the proper World Cup qualifications attend and strive to win it, come second or third. I think this is fair and less confusing then how they have things cos every Nation is given a fair chance and the best 3 will go through.

Edit to add: Enforce the domestic player rule (or at least limit the number of Pro players per team) at the Emerging Nations tournament so heritage teams dont flog the others.This will even the tournament out even more and reward those who have put in the effort to develop the game at home.

What I'm suggesting hardly makes it a development tournament, we're talking about the last few fringe spots. I imagine the makeup of the Soccer or RU world Cups would be different if they went for the exact best teams and not regionalized qualifiers, but nobody is calling those a development tournament.

Most other things we agree on, I would love to see the International game as the pinnacle of Interest in RL, hopefully one day it can regain it's position on top of the tree.

Force

Juniors
What I'm suggesting hardly makes it a development tournament, we're talking about the last few fringe spots. I imagine the makeup of the Soccer or RU world Cups would be different if they went for the exact best teams and not regionalized qualifiers, but nobody is calling those a development tournament.

Most other things we agree on, I would love to see the International game as the pinnacle of Interest in RL, hopefully one day it can regain it's position on top of the tree.
With soccer the way they do qualifiers is on par with how I want league to be in regards to the weaker regions. FIFA recognise how weak Oceania is so make them go through a tougher qualifying route as they dont have direct entry to the World Cup (although that might change with the expansion of their World Cup). The winner of the Oceania qualifiers has to play-off with the 5th placed South American team, the 4th place North/Central American team and the 5th place Asian team. Who ever wins of those teams goes through to the World Cup. Its better this way cos a lot of good European/American teams would miss out to weak Oceania teams.

Its similar with Rugby Union for the next World Cup at least. Because Japan are hosting it they automatically qualify so that leaves the Asian qualifying spot up for grabs. Japan are usually the qualifiers for Asia so that creates a problem because the other Asian teams are piss-weak so the IRB are making the winner of the Asian qualifier go through a play-off series with the winner of Oceania (rest of Oceania not including Samoa,Fiji,Tonga)...who ever wins that goes into a repechage tournament with the fringe teams who didnt make it from some other region qualifiers.

I reckon for league it is less of a hassle if we just use the Emerging Nations as the qualifiers for the fringe teams instead. If those fringe teams from Europe/Americas or Africa/Middle East are good enough they will make it. I would settle for at least the winner of the Emerging Nations tournament qualifying for the next World Cup as per Adam's suggestion of one qualifier up for grabs.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
So we now know the qualifiers will be completed in 2019 giving all teams an almost 2 year run-up to prepare for the WC.
If I understand correctly, nations must be Affiliate Members to enter WC Qualification process?
Which gives us the following challengers for qualification:

Americas
Canada
Jamaica
USA
(Unlikely for any more to meet Affiliate standards by 2018-19)

Asia-Pacific
Australia
New Zealand
Samoa
Fiji
PNG
Tonga
Cook Islands
(Philippines, Thailand, Vanuatu could possible reach Affiliate status in time)

Europe
Spain
Czech Republic
France
Italy
Latvia
Malta
England
Ireland
Norway
Russia
Scotland
Serbia
Ukraine
Wales
(with maybe Poland, Hungary possibly reaching Affiliate status in time)

Middle East and Africa
Lebanon
South Africa
(Unlikely for any more to meet Affiliate standards by 2018-19)

So the qualification picture *should* look something this:

Americas
Americas Cup mid-2019
up to 2 places available, 3rd may enter possible playoff

Asia-Pacific

Asia-Pacific Cup B series/playoff 2018. Two or more of Cook Islands, Philippines, Thailand, Vanuatu might play off to qualify for the Pacific A qualifying series next year.
Asia-Pacific Cup A series/playoff mid-2019. Nations that fail to auto qualify vs Cup B winners for the final WC spots.
up to 4 places available (after auto-qualifying), 6th or 7th may enter possible playoff

Europe

European Qualifiers C South series early 2018. Czech Republic, Ukraine, Hungary play off for chance to enter B level cup.
European Qualifiers C North series early 2018. Latvia, Norway, Poland play off for chance to enter B level cup.
European Qualifiers B series late 2018. Spain, Russia, Serbia play off with C level winners for chance to enter A level qualification series.
European Qualifiers A series late 2019. 17WC Nations that fail to auto qualify play off vs B level winners for final WC spots.
Up to 7 spots available.

MEA
*MEA Cup playoff 2018. South Africa v Lebanon. Winner enters WC or playoff.
*Occurs if Lebanon fail to auto qualify. Otherwise SA wins by default.

Playoff
**Playoff series late 2019. MEA winner v Pacific 6/7th (v American 2/3rd)
**Occurs if all Pacific nations auto qualify or if Lebanon auto qualify