What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 internationals (non World Cup).

welshmagpie

Juniors
Would be good to create a bit of a calendar of internationals happening around the world this year, other than the world cup down under which we all know about.

Off the top of my head...

Oct/Nov: Malta to tour Thailand

Balkans Cup: Greece, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey

The Partisan

Would have to think this Americas Cup won't have too many 'fly in; fly out' players for all 3 combatants.

Can't see clubs releasing players late in the season / during the semis if still 'in the running'.

Not a negative by the way !

adamkungl

Immortal
Good warm up for the USA and likely a selection trial for the last few spots in the WC squad.

A few teams have nothing scheduled yet though. Anyone taking it seriously should have 1 mid season and 1-2 in September-October

May has
Australia vs NZ
England vs Samoa
Tonga vs Fiji
PNG vs Cook Islands

Would like to see England play Ireland and/or Wales before flying over and hitting Australia first round.

Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG would be silly to not play a game before their group matches too. Cook Islands likely up for a game.

France and Lebanon - if I'm running either of these two I want to get a jump on my opponents. Both up against it, 1 game's worth of form could be the difference. Neither have anything scheduled as far as I know.

None of the European nations have anything announced either. Wales Ireland and USA should all be getting a game in the PNG humidty early before the Cup starts or they'll struggle

jim_57

Staff member
Jamaica Rugby League‏@JAMRugbyLeague Apr 9
Reggae Warriors have confirmed games versus USA, Canada Rugby League and France this year!

^Twitter

Unfortunately the link to more info is broken...

I remember reading on another forum I Catalans fan mentioning Palanques of the French Federation either wants or has organised (can't remember) games against Jamaica, Fiji & NZ before the World Cup.

This was a good few weeks ago and the first one is confirmed by Jamaica, so maybe there is some substance. A game in the Pacific Islands could really boost the French for this tournament.

adamkungl

Immortal
I remember reading on another forum I Catalans fan mentioning Palanques of the French Federation either wants or has organised (can't remember) games against Jamaica, Fiji & NZ before the World Cup.

This was a good few weeks ago and the first one is confirmed by Jamaica, so maybe there is some substance. A game in the Pacific Islands could really boost the French for this tournament.

Like I said above, even 1-2 games of form could be the difference for any team below the top 3. That first game France v Lebanon will 99% likely be key in advancing to the quarters, since it's hard to see either of them beating Australia or England in their next 2.

If I'm France I'm getting as big a run up as possible into that round 1 match.

jim_57

Staff member
Like I said above, even 1-2 games of form could be the difference for any team below the top 3. That first game France v Lebanon will 99% likely be key in advancing to the quarters, since it's hard to see either of them beating Australia or England in their next 2.

If I'm France I'm getting as big a run up as possible into that round 1 match.

Yeh definitely agree with that, the other 2 games they're going for would both be a step above Lebanon as well IMO.

Let's not forgot that game V Lebanon is pretty much a knockout game and winner qaulifies for the 2021 World Cup. Huge stakes.

Last edited:

Coastbloke

Bench
Italy are apparently playing Lebanon in Beirut and Spain in Saluzzo in June..
Scotland in September with venue TBC..
Italy will also play some Womens and U21s involving those countries as well..
Source was the RLEF site..

adamkungl

Immortal
Are the Latino Sydney internationals the only ones played so far this year?

Knocking up something a bit neater for yas

adamkungl

Immortal
See if this works.

Will update as new info comes up
Not much point adding WC games in right now, we all know what they are and will be covered extensively

The women's game v Spain is interesting. That would be a first for Spain I should think.

If only this work included a few domestic players in the WC squad.

Latest posts