What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it time to revamp the ANZAC Test..

Coastbloke

Bench
We know that the May Test is to be no more after next month, but remember when the now Trans Tasman Test WAS actually the ANZAC Test?
Could there be scope for a return of a Test match between the Australian Kangaroos and the New Zealand Kiwis on whatever day ANZAC Day falls?
This would require some fortitude from the NRL to try and promote this as they do Origin and make this an annual event worth experiencing. Work with the RSL and the NZ equivalent to ensure the utmost respect for the fallen but at the same time sell the game as a pure Test match between the 2 strongest League nations on the globe. Particularly if the Kiwis do well in the RLWC.

It needs to be fair. Australia one year. New Zealand the next. It needs to be given the same treatment by the NRL as Origin. No GIO or Newcastle. SFS to start (with hopefully to build it to eventually play it at ANZ within 5 to 6 years). Then Eden Park the next year, then Suncorp, then Eden Park and so on.
It will take some work and dedication by the NRL to sell it but it can be done. Don't forget the current one off Test outrates the Bledisloe Cup convincingly. What are everyone's thoughts?

The NRL has no interest in such a thing, Anzac Day or not. That's why they're killing it off. It won't be outrating the Bloodyslow anymore. 400,000 less people will now see the Kangaroos play. Great way to treat one of the oldest, most recognisable and respectable brands in the game. No wonder they can't find anyone to sponsor them.

The Partisan

Personally not a fan of any sport or other venture using the ANZAC tag to promote their event. Their is already trophy named for the clash.....promote the game using this with the Trans Tasman tag in support. Build a tradition / history.

As for the actual staging of the game on this day. Appreciate the passion and sentiment an international could bring but still not sold on the idea. I think having the Warriors play in a marquee game on the day is enough for NZ representation.

For the actual game ....I reckon a Sunday arvo game ...like was played a couple of years back when the Friday game postponed ....is a winner. Crowd was great that day and it was also (unintentionally) the last game of the rep weekend so momentum had been created by the Pacific Tests and Oz / NZ 20's games.

Games played in NZ is a must !

Coastbloke

Bench
Thanks for the responses to the post guys.
I am aware that the mid season Test is being scrapped after this year.
It's just MHO that there is an possible opportunity to put on a Test match that might actually mean something to the RL calendar that could rival Origin..
The club matches on ANZAC Day have obviously been very successful and are highly unlikely to change.. The idea is just wishful thinking on my part with the belief that a game representing the 2 Nations that fought together would have more significance..

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Hopefully having a stand along origin weekend with a NZ vs ENG match on the Friday and a double or triple header (maybe France could come out) Pacific test on the Saturday night next year we will eventually see maybe a second stand alone game with more opportunity for Test Matches.

adamkungl

Immortal
Mal actually surprises me with his attitude towards Internationals. Much better than I'd hoped. A tad Aussie-centric still but that's fair since he's the coach.

NZ absolutely needs home tests every year.

He clearly wants to return to the international RL world of his day, which was annual incoming and outgoing tours to and from NZ and GB. It'll never happen. The NRL doesn't give a f**k, the NZRL is broke and just does whatever it's told and the rfl is incompetent and has ditched its history and iconic GB and ashes brands. But the game would be stronger for it.

adamkungl

Immortal
Am I dreaming or are the Kangaroos not making even 1 appearance in 2018..?? :rage:

This has been assumed for some time.

The RLPA negotiated a year off post-season rep football for Australian players last time round.

There's one thing they should be told to stick up their arse if they want the deal they're angling for now.

roughyedspud

Coach
Am I dreaming or are the Kangaroos not making even 1 appearance in 2018..?? :rage:

Thank the RLPA..

Unless we see the kangaroos in a potential Feb 2019 world 9s then yeah the roos will be missing between the end of Nov 2017 to Oct 2019... scandalous that..

On the plus side ,I guess, a practical brand new and largely untested Australian team will be going into ashes series....should be fun lol