What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beer Thread

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
James Squire Hop Thief 8, meh.
i know.. always enjoyed the hop thief variant... easily the best of the squire range.. one i'd always buy if i saw it in store.. enjoyed seeing the differences each year..

but this year? one sixpack bought.. thought it was terrible.. haven't bought another...

did have one of these today.. rather enjoyable..

14449187_533886466797355_323237254422069248_n.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore
I reckon the Hop Thief 8 is comfortably the most sessionable of the Hop Thief releases....I liked it. Not in a beer snob way, just in an "I could drink three six packs of this and be very happy" way....

Misanthrope

Staff member
I went on a craft beer brewery tour here in Beijing a couple of weeks ago.

Four brew pubs: Peiping Machine, Great Leap, Slow Boat, and Arrow Factory. All very good spots.

Got chatting with the owner at bar #3 and he asked if I'd be interested in leading some of their tours. Gonna be a boozy Beijing year.

GongPanther

Referee
Tooheys still the best beer in the world

drinking a carton now

To be quite frank Rhyno,Tooheys,Carlton,Fosters,XXXX, they are all rubbish.Chemical fizz which the average drinker is unaware of what they are actually drinking. Get into the naturally crafted brewed pale ales,beers or pilsners.

All of the mainstream lagers are so terrible that they lack taste and substance. And the severity of the hangovers is testament to the quality of the lagers in Australia.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
To be quite frank Rhyno,Tooheys,Carlton,Fosters,XXXX, they are all rubbish.Chemical fizz which the average drinker is unaware of what they are actually drinking. Get into the naturally crafted brewed pale ales,beers or pilsners.

All of the mainstream lagers are so terrible that they lack taste and substance. And the severity of the hangovers is testament to the quality of the lagers in Australia.
Wasting your breath, sir.

Bazal

Post Whore
Whilst Tooheys are no doubt shit beers for the most part, it's untrue to say that they are chemical fizz. They are the only mass produced Aussie beers that are preservative free and made with proper natural ingredients.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Whilst Tooheys are no doubt shit beers for the most part, it's untrue to say that they are chemical fizz. They are the only mass produced Aussie beers that are preservative free and made with proper natural ingredients.

I really didn't know that. Thanks

sddefault.jpg

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
Wasting your breath, sir.

Lager,if you have a couple, is OK in a hot day in Oz.But it's crap if your on a bender the next day,unless your one of the lucky ones who have the gift of never getting a hangover. Beers like 50 Lashes by James Squire is proof you can make a beer without the nasties that go with it.

But,to each his own.

Bazal

Post Whore
No,by James Squire who actually brew it in Camperdown (I think Hahn's old brewery). Lion aquired James Squire brewery as they did with Tooheys and many other liquor brands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_(Australasian_company)

http://www.beerthebeautifultruth.com/the-world-of-beer/the-beautiful-beers/one-fifty-lashes/

It's a Tooheys product. Has been since it was re-born in the late 90s. Lion-Nathan own Tooheys but they do not brew the beers for them. In fact, Chuck Hahn was head brewer at James Squire when Tooheys first brought it back and folded his label into their portfolio. He was then head brewer for Tooheys itself.

Little Creatures and White Rabbit are also Tooheys products.

GongPanther

Referee
http://www.beerthebeautifultruth.com/the-world-of-beer/the-beautiful-beers/one-fifty-lashes/

It's a Tooheys product. Has been since it was re-born in the late 90s. Lion-Nathan own Tooheys but they do not brew the beers for them. In fact, Chuck Hahn was head brewer at James Squire when Tooheys first brought it back and folded his label into their portfolio. He was then head brewer for Tooheys itself.

Little Creatures and White Rabbit are also Tooheys products.

Oh right...there you go then. So the Tooheys brewery is located in Camperdown? I only remember the old breweries along Broadway (the Kent brewery,visited their private bar once.Pure nostaligic heaven) and along South Dowling St West Redfern,which are both now redevelopments.

What I'll do Bazal is that I have some links to those breweries from the olden days and pics of the hotels from yesteryear.

I'll start a thread about it in the furkin fun bar were we can display those images. :)

Bazal

Post Whore
Oh right...there you go then. So the Tooheys brewery is located in Camperdown? I only remember the old breweries along Broadway (the Kent brewery,visited their private bar once.Pure nostaligic heaven) and along South Dowling St West Redfern,which are both now redevelopments.

What I'll do Bazal is that I have some links to those breweries from the olden days and pics of the hotels from yesteryear.

I'll start a thread about it in the furkin fun bar were we can display those images. :)

Nah Tooheys have rather a few breweries, including Lidcombe. They do still brew Squires at Camperdown, but not all of it (that's a 4-5 million litre brewery IIRC, demand for Squires easily exceeds that, that's only about 7000 pallets). And Tooheys basically brew as one big company, brewers move here and there.

The thing I was kind of trying to point out that it's not as simple as your post above regarding the mass produced beers. As I mentioned, Tooheys actually use no preservatives in their beers, and all natural ingredients. They brew many beers people believe are "craft" beers, like Squires, Kosciuszko and Little Creatures. Matilda Bay are Carlton products....