What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Hooper Next immortal.......

davi

Juniors
Wonder if James Hooper is serious or just looking for attention. Yeah Cam Smith should be a immortal, but by-passing Darren Lockyer is in my opinion a tad disrespectful.

"Rugby league reporter James Hooper is never far away with a piece of NRL controversy and his pick for the next NRL Immortal may raise some eyebrows.

With Darren Lockyer long tipped to be crowned the ninth Immortal, Hooper believes another man deserves it more.

After orchestrating a superb first half for the Storm in their win over Manly, Cameron Smith has Hooper's backing for rugby league Immortality.

"In my view he'll be the next Immortal," he told Triple M.

"I think he's the best player of this generation.

"He's done so much...I would have Cameron Smith."

Hooper not the only one supporting Smith's bid with Jonathon Thurston also voicing a similar opinion last year.

Whoever is picked to become the next Immortal they'd join these legendary names: Clive Churchill, Bob Fulton, Reg Gasnier, Johnny Raper, Graeme Langlands, Wally Lewis, Arthur Beetson and Andrew Johns."

http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/n...torm-darren-lockyer/6x03wgur7qqk1ck9eyh6dygnf

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe they need to limit immortals to 2 per generation otherwise it starts to lose its lustre. For me cam smith (02- ?19) is ahead of Lockyer (95-11) if you had to pick just one player from the last two decades post Johns.

Charlie124

First Grade
Regardless of who says it and what you think of James Hooper, he's right. Cam Smith is the best player of his generation along side Thurston. Lockyer was a great player but I don't know how any serious punter could rank him above either of the aforementioned.

Anyway, opinions & arseholes and all that.

davi

Juniors
The immortals is stupid anyway. It needs to be replaced with a proper, recognised NRL hall of fame

The immortals has been around for 35 years just disposing what's been a treasured Rugby League relic because you think it's 'stupid' is not good enough reason.

mozza91

Coach
Let me know when either of them wins 10 grand finals in a row. captain-coach in 4 of them, team of the century and sports hall of fame.

Oh and is on top of the premiership trophy.
Smith is a known cheat who signs multiple contacts, uses dangerous wrestling moves to injure opponents, shows no compassion to seriously injured players yet still has the majority of the Australian public believe that he's a great bloke and is the most respected current player.

The level of deceit is definitely worthy of Immortal status.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If any of Smith, Lockyer, or Thurston get in before Proven, Sterling, Meninga, and Lazarus it'll be disrespectful, just as it was when Johns jumped the queue.

I haven't taken the immortals seriously in a very long time, it's a gimmick that was designed to sell magazines and grog, then said magazine would trot it out every so often as sales started to take a downturn until it shut shop.

Now that the NRL owns it they should bring it up to date by adding 4-5 players who should have been in it for years, then make it that once a decade 2 more players are added to the immortals through a vote taken of their peers, anybody that has played NRL/ARL/NSWRL gets one vote, the two players with the most votes become immortals.