What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Hooper Next immortal.......

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Lazarus should be neck deep in the debate IMO - he won everywhere he went, literally - not a coincidence

but yeah it's a dumb concept, Hall of Fame a much better notion

i would have agreed until he sold his soul to qld for politics

_Johnsy

Referee
OP knickers in a twist about Hooper (a journalist) offering his opinion, that Smith should be the next Immortal over Lockyer. I wonder why you've singled out Hooper as being disrespectful, considering JT has voiced exactly the same opinion?

IMO Norm Provan should be a walk up start, should have been one of the original Immortals in 81.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Norm Provan hasn't received it yet because there's already been 3 St George players inducted from the same era - it doesn't have any 'click' appeal.

But he'll get the status after he dies - it makes for a better story.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have Keith Holman as an immortal before anyone else.
Then Ron Coote, Duncan Hall, Mal Meninga, Brad Fittler, Laurie Daley and Glenn Lazarus should all be considered before anyone who retired after 2010.

Seage

Juniors
Can I just say how enjoyable it is to read the opinion of educated, hardworking New South Welshman who see Queenslanders for what they are - cats.

What's Lockyer getting inducted for? 15 years of throwing flat balls in attack? Get real.

blaza88z

Coach
Can I just say how enjoyable it is to read the opinion of educated, hardworking New South Welshman who see Queenslanders for what they are - cats.

What's Lockyer getting inducted for? 15 years of throwing flat balls in attack? Get real.

I was prepared to take you seriously until you suggested New South Welshmen are hard working, been to Western Sydney lately?

GongPanther

Referee
The immortals is stupid anyway. It needs to be replaced with a proper, recognised NRL hall of fame

It has more to do with having a one man ship over the AFL and Rugby Union,albeit naming a sportsman an "Immortal" is quite a contradiction in terms.

Well done. You remembered literally the only half decent tackle of Lockyer's overrated career. And he only pulled it off cos he knew how slow and useless an attacker his Broncos team mate Devere was.

This is a real Origin tackle by a player who was twice as good as Lockyer, and should be made an immortal well ahead of him:

Tommy Smith

Referee
If someone asked me what made Lockyer great, I wouldn't know what to say. He was a fantastic player, but in no way a genius.

Exactly how he gets thrown up as the next Immortal from the retired brigade ahead of the likes of Sterling, Kenny, Daley, Langer, Meninga and Fittler I'll never know.

Sterlo should already be in there. Led his side to league's last 3peat; and 4 Premierships in total during arguably leagues greatest and most competitive era. He was also great for NSW and Australia.

Exactly what is missing on that resume, and what Lockyer has over Sterlo's amazing career I'll never know.

Latest posts