What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

April 20, 1908

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
On this day in 1908, the first official Rugby League games in Australia were played.

Here is a piece I wrote with brief match reports and game details which have been compiled from several newspapers and sources.

http://commentaryboxsports.com/australian/nrl/day-birth-premiership.html
Should the NRL do something (as opposed to the current nothing) to commemorate this day, and if so, what should they do?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like most things dealing with the history of the game, they are forgotten quickly.

I think Souths, Roosters, Newcastle and Wests Tigers should wear the strip worn on that day for this round. Have a ceremony at Birchgrove Oval.

A huge fans day with players, current and past present etc.

pantherz9103

First Grade
I'd much prefer more of these heritage rounds rather than those Marvel jersey rounds, however 1908 is only relevant to a few old foundation clubs, so the NRL probably won't bother.

mistertaylor

Juniors
Like most things dealing with the history of the game, they are forgotten quickly.

I think Souths, Roosters, Newcastle and Wests Tigers should wear the strip worn on that day for this round. Have a ceremony at Birchgrove Oval.

Wests Tigers and Newcastle weren't foundation clubs mate.

mistertaylor

Juniors
I'd much prefer more of these heritage rounds rather than those Marvel jersey rounds, however 1908 is only relevant to a few old foundation clubs, so the NRL probably won't bother.
What we need is a true heritage round with leather balls, no padding on the goal posts, and heavy cotton jerseys!

siv

First Grade

Other than Souths v Easts

I would like to see Newcastle play Parramatta in 1908 heritage jersies

Both have strong links to their 1908 clubs

Newcastle left and then accepted the offer to rejoin

Parramatta colours come from the old Cumberland team who used the old Sydney Uni RU hooped jersey in 1908

You can have Norths v Newtown in NSW Cup
And Wests v Glebe-Burwood in the RM Cup as a double header at Wentworth Park

And since St George originally formed in 1908 we can have the battle of ther mergers as the other 1908 fixture

2 teams were unrelated, but yeah

I was replying to a chap up the chain who said Newcastle weren't a foundation team.

They quite clearly were.

That they left at the end of 1909 to commence the Newcastle RL comp and another Newcastle named team came in to the comp in 1988 doesn't not change the face his comment was wrong.

The Newcastle of 1908-09 are regarded as a different side to the Knights.

Much like the Titans are regarded as different to the Gold Coast side that entered in 1988.

Sure, but they're still called Newcastle.

And your point about current clubs wearing the original/heritage strip is both valid and with precedence.

As per the modern era Newcastle Knights donning the 1908-09 Newcastle Rebels kit in 2008. What would it hurt for them to wear it now and pay tribute to the foundation side, also named Newcastle?

And I also thought when the Titans entered in 2007 that there was suggestion it was a continuation and a new venture.

Casting an eye back on the past doesnt hurt. In fact, if GC did a heritage Giants or Chargers kit, I reckon people would go crazy for it.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
The Newcastle of 1908-09 are regarded as a different side to the Knights.

Much like the Titans are regarded as different to the Gold Coast side that entered in 1988.

I consider them as the same team

Just readmitted

Just the like Auckland Warriors are the same team as NZ Warriors even though they went bust

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I consider them as the same team

Just readmitted

Just the like Auckland Warriors are the same team as NZ Warriors even though they went bust
The NRL doesn't though and, with no disrespect to you, their ruling is the only one that matters here.