What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Clifferd

Coach
its ridiculous that Parramatta & Penrith are only playing each other once in 2017

there should be some consideration given to zoning the comp to ensure .. derbies ... always take place twice a year.

Western
Parramatta
Penrith
Bulldogs
Tigers

Southern
Dragons
Souths
Sharks
Roosters

Northern
Broncos
Titans
Cowboys
Storm

Eastern
Manly
Newcastle
Canberra
Warriors

you get the other 3 sides in your zone every year , plus 9 others from the other zones
you should never miss out on playing your historical & geographical neighbours
its a no brainer

Once again people in this thread continue to be better at scheduling games than the spineless monkeys @ NRL

all in all, it's not that hard

El Diablo

Post Whore
Parramatta is Penrith's highest drawing crowd each year. A huge mistake by the NRL for these teams not to meet twice this year.
and a couple of years ago the NRL scheduled Parramatta's home game v Penrith to be the one game that Parra plays in the NT

Vee

First Grade
He's got a point.

Why would Penny only play Parra once? Seems like a no brainer they'd play twice every year.

Maybe it's so they can play a f**king trial game at Penrith in the pre-season, because that's what the game needs.
Exactly right. Insanity not to have our big rivalries playing home and away every season.

T-Boon

Coach
Gus having a whinge about the fixture this weekend, might be better spending his time working on out getting more than 14k along to a Penrith game I'd suggest?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...eels-scheduling-stuff-up-20170419-gvnrd7.html

A conference type system would be good, but since it is the kind of thing the NRL clubs would be too lazy or scared to think about (until at least 5 years after the AFL have such a system) the reality is we don't have one. So lets not pretend like we do.

Would Gould have ever suggested something to the NRL like getting the Clubs input into the draw each season? I am guessing not.

And once again, like the Nines, way to encourage your fans to get out to the ground Gus. Parra will hopefully reciprocate next season when we play at Penrith with "oh its going to be extremely cold if you are brave enough to go better take a jacket and long johns".

T-Boon

Coach
Yep, absolutely awful nrl doesn't take these things into consideration

It is the clubs not the NRL. They have no initiative or ability to co operation for the greater good.
How hard would it be for the clubs to go to the NRL and say here are the games we insist on each year. But then another club would be "why do they get a say in their draw but we don't?" "Why do we have to play Melbourne twice every year?"

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Gus having a whinge about the fixture this weekend, might be better spending his time working on out getting more than 14k along to a Penrith game I'd suggest?
Hang on a second; the last two Penrith games have attracted a crowd of well over you're 14k mark so right off the bat you are incredibly wrong.

Second of all I thought you'd want to see clubs fighting for crowds, Parramatta are quite often Penrith's biggest draw all year; why shouldn't Gus have a whinge they aren't playing the Eels at home. Imagine if the Roosters didn't get a home fixture against Souths, or the Cowboys didn't get the Broncos, or the Storm didn't get the Warriors.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
How hard would it be for the clubs to go to the NRL and say here are the games we insist on each year. But then another club would be "why do they get a say in their draw but we don't?" "Why do we have to play Melbourne twice every year?"

I believe each of the clubs give their concessions as to who they want to play twice, what time of year, etc. Obviously not every club's needs will be met. but don't for a second think the clubs don't even try to work out a good crowd pleasing draw (for themselves obviously).

T-Boon

Coach
I believe each of the clubs give their concessions as to who they want to play twice, what time of year, etc. Obviously not every club's needs will be met. but don't for a second think the clubs don't even try to work out a good crowd pleasing draw (for themselves obviously).

Maybe the NRLs policy is if both teams want it then we will facilitate it.
Maybe Penrith want to play Parra twice each year (because Parra fans head out there) but Parra's attitude is no we don't want that because Penrith fans don't bother travelling to Parra games. We'd rather ask for a couple of games against the Tigers and Dogs each year because we can get big reciprocal crowds at ANZ.
Gus is basically encouraging his clubs fans not to go attend the game. In return Bernie Gurr should do likewise next time we have a game in Penrith.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Maybe the NRLs policy is if both teams want it then we will facilitate it.
Maybe Penrith want to play Parra twice each year (because Parra fans head out there) but Parra's attitude is no we don't want that because Penrith fans don't bother travelling to Parra games. We'd rather ask for a couple of games against the Tigers and Dogs each year because we can get big reciprocal crowds at ANZ.
Gus is basically encouraging his clubs fans not to go attend the game. In return Bernie Gurr should do likewise next time we have a game in Penrith.
Well I know where i would rather watch a game at...but I don't think it's a two club thing, the NRL will probably listen to a few of the clubs requests and try to implement them.
I do think the NRL dropped the ball here.
I got no hint of Gus encouraging fans not to go at all, I think you're looking into something that is not there.
Gus wants what's best for Penrith and one of those is a home game against Parra every year.

T-Boon

Coach
Gus wants what's best for Penrith and one of those is a home game against Parra every year.

Where in the article does Gus talk about how he fought for this prior to the draw being made?
If he did that he would have mentioned it in the article so I am going to assume he never raised it until now. In the week of the game, when its just a little bit too late. The dumb bastards are good at being a bit too late then blaming the NRL.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Where in the article does Gus talk about how he fought for this prior to the draw being made?
If he did that he would have mentioned it in the article so I am going to assume he never raised it until now. In the week of the game, when its just a little bit too late. The dumb bastards are good at being a bit too late then blaming the NRL.

http://www.nrl.com/the-process-behind-the-draw/tabid/10874/newsid/70374/default.aspx?print=true
"No other sport puts such a priority on club requests."-direct quote
of course Gould and the Panthers would have put in a request for parra at home why wouldn't they?

Like Timmah I do recall both clubs being disappointed there was just the one fixture between the clubs this year, after they made the draw. I think whoever made the NRL draw screwed up by not including this fixture.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hang on a second; the last two Penrith games have attracted a crowd of well over you're 14k mark so right off the bat you are incredibly wrong.

Second of all I thought you'd want to see clubs fighting for crowds, Parramatta are quite often Penrith's biggest draw all year; why shouldn't Gus have a whinge they aren't playing the Eels at home. Imagine if the Roosters didn't get a home fixture against Souths, or the Cowboys didn't get the Broncos, or the Storm didn't get the Warriors.

It's been ELEVEN years since you last avg's more than 14k, in Gus's reign you havent even cracked 13k.

No problem with the sentiment, of course the schedule should be set to max crowds but Gould has a direct line to the nrl's leaders and should be whinging to them, not putting out negative stories about the game through the media. We've got enough journos laying the boot in without a supposed lover of the game doing it.

Emu01

Juniors
Raiders v Manly 12k

Souths v Broncos 11k Souths fans have vanished.

Parra v Penrith 13k.

Sharks v Titans 14k

Cows v knights 16k

Dogs v Tigers 22k

Dragons v Roosters 40k

Storm v Warriors 22k

Last edited:
The Parra v Penrith game is almost impossible to predict crowd at a foreign ground and both teams in terrible form,and a difficult time slot.I could be way wrong with 13.

Yer. Raiders and Manly is tricky too. Untested time slot in Canberra etc.

I'd have guessed the same as you pretty much to a T. Maybe the news on Woods will get another couple of thousand to Dogs-Tigpies.

Latest posts