What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally team finally hits form & then

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Widdop, Packer and Dugan that were in the doldrums are finally showing their class this year and now with cashed up clubs about it looks like it will be difficult to keep them here at the Dragons. I have the bad feeling if we lose these 3 players despite Hunt coming and good players coming through the system we may struggle in 2018. I don't understand why the club can't attract 3rd party player sponsors like other clubs can when the Red V is probably the most famous club and jersey in rugby league.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Don;t worry too much. If they keep hold of WIddop which I am hearing they are getting closer, the other 2 SHOULD stay. If not then they are absolute a disgrace. Packer and Dugan where at their lowest of lows prior to wearing the red V and were unwanted by these so called cashed up clubs. Those clubs could have signed them then but Saints to the gamble. So they make an extra 100k or so a season. What about the previous couple where they made an extra few 100k extra as Saints were the only ones willing to pay them to play footy Poor form if they leave and if so they are not good enough to wear the red V anymore imo.

In saying this my gut feeling is Packer will stay and Dugan probably as well.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
  1. Agree with you Slippery
The problem is there manager.
The same guy for all 3 off them.
I think widdop will stay and packer loves it here and will stay to.
With duges more difficult because of the Roosters bid we will not be able to outbid them.
But the thing that been the stumbling block is the recruitment saying he is a centre only .
While we all know he a fullback and if they can settle that he might stay.
Anyway let hope all this doesn't affect how the teams playing.

Country Dragon

Juniors
With duges more difficult because of the Roosters bid we will not be able to outbid them.
But the thing that been the stumbling block is the recruitment saying he is a centre only .
Roosters won't want him if it's true they've signed Tedesco will they?

hazzbeen

Bench
Widdop, Packer and Dugan that were in the doldrums are finally showing their class this year and now with cashed up clubs about it looks like it will be difficult to keep them here at the Dragons. I have the bad feeling if we lose these 3 players despite Hunt coming and good players coming through the system we may struggle in 2018. I don't understand why the club can't attract 3rd party player sponsors like other clubs can when the Red V is probably the most famous club and jersey in rugby league.
Because our management have been untouchable and the boys club and our chief have done little after 2010 premiership . Instead of building on that platform , all it did was give them another 7 years easy ride ....

hazzbeen

Bench
I have said this before , it will get to a stage that players can say ( Im only getting paid as a center so Im not playing fullback ) The whole thing about getting so much to play in a certain position is getting out of hand . So really it comes back to what is that player worth to the team , not what position he plays ....

giboz71

First Grade
Just got the feeling the club envisaged a mini cleanout at the end of last year. Seriously we were worse than horrible in 2016.

Hence the kitchen sink was thrown at Hunt and a whole host of juniors were given deals assuming they'd be able to step up from 2018 and beyond.

But the off contract incumbents, Duges, Widdop, Packer, Lafai etc have all started the year on fire. I would hazard a guess that the club wouldn't have been all that unhappy to let one or two of those guys go but now it seems we want to keep all of them.

Just the nature of footy unfortunately, no one could have predicted our start to the year. Leading the comp after 7 rounds....we would have been 100/1.

thebigredv

First Grade
Part of me thinks Widdop, Lafai, and Dugan have been playing for contracts. Wherever they sign, it will be interesting to see if they keep up the form after this farce is done and dusted.

The Doc

Juniors
Our main threat for Duges now will be tigers.
He wants to play FB.... Roosters now have tedesco.
Tigers need a FB (amongst many) and have money to spend now.
Wouldnt surpruse me to see them make a bid for our big 3 (packer dugan widdop).
Its gunna be tough to keep all 3 and also Lafai with the form he is in.
Not impossible, but tough.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Rewind 6 months and many on here who are now cu#t calling the club for not having re-signed Duges, Widdop, Lafai et al are the same people who wanted them banished to Siberia back then. Tough Crowd!

blacksafake

First Grade
Our main threat for Duges now will be tigers.
He wants to play FB.... Roosters now have tedesco.
Tigers need a FB (amongst many) and have money to spend now.
Wouldnt surpruse me to see them make a bid for our big 3 (packer dugan widdop).
Its gunna be tough to keep all 3 and also Lafai with the form he is in.
Not impossible, but tough.
Well he'll certainly get plenty of tackling practice at the tigers.
What a way to earn your money:rolleyes:

Latest posts