What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Storm

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Whoa steady on with the "was", Manu hasn't retired yet. I'm still holding our some hope he can get fit and have the swansong he deserves in his last 2/3 of a season (if not longer).

WellsNZ

Juniors
Whoa steady on with the "was", Manu hasn't retired yet. I'm still holding our some hope he can get fit and have the swansong he deserves in his last 2/3 of a season (if not longer).

Would love to see it also, not convinced it will happen though.

Regardless, we've seen his best and his best was pretty awesome.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Would love to see it also, not convinced it will happen though.

Regardless, we've seen his best and his best was pretty awesome.

Agreed. I just don't want to see a repeat of the sad end we saw to Pricey's career with Manu (retiring due to injury without making it onto the field for his fi so season)

vvvrulz

Coach
Remember Manu was pretty average when he got on the field last season, but Manu at half power is still better than Ken

JJ

Immortal
So am I, but to be fair it's been a while

TheDMC

Bench
This game against Melbourne is going to be interesting from a tactical point of view.
I'm not at all convinced by Kearney as a coach and this to me will be somewhat of a litmus test.
Eight rounds in and a pretty healthy squad.
Kearney has clearly dictated a conservative game plan based on minimizing errors and maximizing time with the ball. 2nd phase play has all but been banned as he tries to implement discipline and structure.
But you don't usually beat the Storm by playing structured footy - by playing their game ( perhaps 2011 semi-final was an exception). Unlocking their defence usually requires a power game we simply don't have, or 2nd phase ball - lots of offloads.

Good teams and coaches adapt game tactics depending on the opposition.
Our best chance of winning surely has to be with a bit of 'jungle ball,' but will we do that?
I doubt it. Not until the game is lost anyhow (if even then).

Our error stats are near the worst in the league despite shutting shop on offloads. Dropping bombs, tits for hands, and Issac luke dummy half scoops are too blame. We have had second least offloads so far this season, usually we are top 3.

If we win by playing the same tactical approach as Kearney has promoted so far, than all kudos to him.
If we lose closely in a grind well then, Kearney tactics can't be judged either way.
If we get smashed playing conservatively, then Kearney can shove his tactics where the sun don't shine.
If we get smashed playing jungle ball, then more conservative tactics, ala Kearney, are justified.
If we win with some jungle ball, then we need more jungle ball.

I predict we will play conservatively and either get smashed or get over run in the second half. 30-12 to Melbourne.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
He didn't seem right, either mentally or physically, throughout the whole of last season.

Agreed and the stupid six incident brought that to light, it sounded like he was playing busted on painkillers half the time.

This game against Melbourne is going to be interesting from a tactical point of view.
I'm not at all convinced by Kearney as a coach and this to me will be somewhat of a litmus test.
Eight rounds in and a pretty healthy squad.
Kearney has clearly dictated a conservative game plan based on minimizing errors and maximizing time with the ball. 2nd phase play has all but been banned as he tries to implement discipline and structure.
But you don't usually beat the Storm by playing structured footy - by playing their game ( perhaps 2011 semi-final was an exception). Unlocking their defence usually requires a power game we simply don't have, or 2nd phase ball - lots of offloads.

Good teams and coaches adapt game tactics depending on the opposition.
Our best chance of winning surely has to be with a bit of 'jungle ball,' but will we do that?
I doubt it. Not until the game is lost anyhow (if even then).

Our error stats are near the worst in the league despite shutting shop on offloads. Dropping bombs, tits for hands, and Issac luke dummy half scoops are too blame. We have had second least offloads so far this season, usually we are top 3.

If we win by playing the same tactical approach as Kearney has promoted so far, than all kudos to him.
If we lose closely in a grind well then, Kearney tactics can't be judged either way.
If we get smashed playing conservatively, then Kearney can shove his tactics where the sun don't shine.
If we get smashed playing jungle ball, then more conservative tactics, ala Kearney, are justified.
If we win with some jungle ball, then we need more jungle ball.

I predict we will play conservatively and either get smashed or get over run in the second half. 30-12 to Melbourne.

i was pumped for this game last year telling my workmates playing in melbourne doesnt faze us. nek minute 40 odd zip and a quater of the team out on the redbulls and season is over prety much after that
im sceptical about this yearsgame. no hype in the media which could favour us as a team cos all the focus has been on forans contract. i see kearneys style and i like it but we dont have the forwards to beat the storm in a grind. but on our day who knows. storm are having trouple stopping points lately so this could be our time

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Unlocking their defence usually requires a power game we simply don't have, or 2nd phase ball - lots of offloads.

That's it in a nutshell - along with having a great (or at least good) defence - unfortunately we don't really tick any of the boxes, and when we get into the 2nd phase play we can't do it with control (and our defence remains a huge worry anyway)

Meth

Staff member
I hate that this game is tied to ANZAC day. Last year, we showed precisely zero fighting spirit. We'd better show some tonight.