What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop or Dugan? and who replaces them?

Okman

Juniors
There's a reason Dugan wanted to go to the rorters....they have the ability to play finals football and push for a premiership....Tigers on the other hand, are years off at least playing finals football, so this late in his career it would make absolutely no sense for him to join the tigers. But if he does choose the money, its not about the game of rugby league at all, and he has his family in mind, which in that case good on him and i wish him the best in the future.
Tedesco? Can't remember reading anywhere where Dugan said he wants to go to the roosters

willzy91

Juniors
Tedesco? Can't remember reading anywhere where Dugan said he wants to go to the roosters

Sorry reason his manager was pushing those rumours....1 - because they would be a good fit for him and 2 - to get extra coin from the dragons.

barry

Juniors
Dont kid yourself mate, its all about the money.. uncle Nick and his brown paper bags.

Weve just signed one of the games best half backs, we now have one of the best forward packs in the comp. Theres no reason other then money that players wouldnt want to stay or sign with the Dragons

Any half or 5/8 would flourish in our team this year and next year.

To respond to the OP, Gagai would look good in a number 1 red V jersey next year... he would kill it!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
So...IF the dragons end up losing both Widdop and the Doogs...

Would you be keen to see the Morris boys back?

I orgasmed when Brett M. scored that unbelievably, remarkable try against the Chooks at Allianz Stadium earlier in the season.

Did everyone see it? From about 30 metres, Brett managed to crash over the line with at least three defenders trying to stop him. It was the most insane example of speed, strength, and pure determination that anyone would be lucky to see just once in a lifetime.

So, it's a YES (moans) from me. Despite his alleged advancing years, and that he's "only a winger", Brett is a much greater upgrade on MacDonald.

As for Josh M...well, unfortunately his career didn't kick on as well as I had predicted for whatever reason....and he's not a five-eighth either

It's a no from me regarding him.

But what am I talking about? Neither of them would come back after being shafted by the club, and you can expect their younger brother, Dylan, will play anywhere else than the Dragons due to their experiences (and you can include father Steve as well).

SGMax

Juniors
Hearing via Twitter that both Widdop and Dugan will sign with the dragons, the Widdop deal is close and Dugan stretching it out to get any extra coin he can get from the dragons.....also Packer will sign with the dragons as well....

If true, great news....we should be a force next year.
I still think that we are one classy back and one prop short of a premiership.
Tedesco together with Dugan would have gone a long way to getting us there.

Hopefully these positions can be filled by our lower grades but clubs like the Broncs, Bulldogs and Roosters don't take chances and buy top line talent.

We may still get there but we will need things to go our way such as peak form to be maintained by the whole roster and not too many injuries and a few juniors to blossom.
Hoping Field gets going next year and Marsters develops well for 2019 or 2020.

Things looking up. Lets hope we don't have 5 years of rubbish in between a good period again.
We should be constantly building and improving the playing roster every time an opportunity comes up.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
In all seriousness who would want to go to the Tigers right now they are a mess and seems like a career killing move.....
I agree Minh with everything you say but unfortunately to some players the $$$$$ come first and the other stuff comes second.......thats why some have played at more clubs than you can count

possm

Coach
If we do sign both of them for overs who is going to get the flick to pay for them.
I think there may be not enough cap left to pay both players what they want without a TPA being included.

The current playing style revolves around our big mobile forwards and while ever they are fit, able and willing, we should continue on in a similar fashion this year. The style of play is limited mainly because of the incapacity of our coach to fully employ the talent of our backline.

In my opinion, if we sign Dugan and Widdop we may have to lose Lafai and Packer. if we lose one of them and replace that player with a local junior already signed, we could very well keep these two players. I stick by the rule that we should replace like with like to maintain quality although, if a junior did hit the road running - say like Jack Bird.

Anyway, if we lose these marquee players, then it is my view we should replace them like for like. If we keep on waiting, it is likely we will get less than a marquee player either from another club or from our signed juniors.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
If the Roosters and Broncos can afford to buy Tedesco and Bird and The Dogs get Woods and Foran with their already star studded rosters then I cant see any reason logically why we cant retain Widdop, Dugan and Packer with similar payments/deals...and thats alloying for the fact we shelled out big bikkies for Hunt.......Im still super confident we will retain the 3, always have

Life's Good

Coach
Hearing via Twitter that both Widdop and Dugan will sign with the dragons, the Widdop deal is close and Dugan stretching it out to get any extra coin he can get from the dragons.....also Packer will sign with the dragons as well....
If true that would be great. One could assume front loading of contracts/unloading some players(due to lack of TPA)would have to be part of the equation. If so then that opens the window for success but could set us back down the track.

I love being an armchair expert.

Dragsters

First Grade
Dont kid yourself mate, its all about the money.. uncle Nick and his brown paper bags.

Weve just signed one of the games best half backs, we now have one of the best forward packs in the comp. Theres no reason other then money that players wouldnt want to stay or sign with the Dragons

Any half or 5/8 would flourish in our team this year and next year.

To respond to the OP, Gagai would look good in a number 1 red V jersey next year... he would kill it!

I love The Dugan and I agree that Gagai would be a great pick up...

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Hasn't Millward previously said that the club is interested in attracting a "gun" centre?

This won't have any impact on the retention (or loss) of Dugan/Widdop.

willzy91

Juniors
Hasn't Millward previously said that the club is interested in attracting a "gun" centre?

This won't have any impact on the retention (or loss) of Dugan/Widdop.

I also feel Millward mentioned this before Lafai started playing amazingly!....so not sure why they would be going after Gagai unless we loose Dugan and he plays fullback like he has done at the knights previously....

Crush

Coach
OK, if Widdop were to go to another club I would like to see them go after Josh Reynolds.
I think next to Hunt he would be a menace. He is inconsistent at times but he is a real competitor.
I think he would be a good fit.
I know everyone hates him but once he pulled on the Red V he'd be loved.

Dragons 09

Juniors
OK, if Widdop were to go to another club I would like to see them go after Josh Reynolds.
I think next to Hunt he would be a menace. He is inconsistent at times but he is a real competitor.

God i hope we keep Widdop then lol. I seriously can't ever imagine i would love Reynolds. In saying that, i despised big Dell when he was a Shetland but couldn't get enough of him in the Red V so i sort of get where you are coming from.

If no Widdop, I'm good with Kurt Mann.

Crush

Coach
God i hope we keep Widdop then lol. I seriously can't ever imagine i would love Reynolds. In saying that, i despised big Dell when he was a Shetland but couldn't get enough of him in the Red V so i sort of get where you are coming from.

If no Widdop, I'm good with Kurt Mann.
More than likely he will go to sharks.
They love grubs, he'd fit right in

Life's Good

Coach
I will go out on a limb and say target Moses Mbye if we lose Widdop. At the Dogs he wears 7 but is really a running 6 which is a bit like Milford(maybe not as dynamic). It's not ideal to change both halves in the off season but I think a Hunt/Mbye pairing wouldn't clash.
As for Duges, if he goes then put Field on a weight gain diet to get him ready for first grade.

gregstar

Referee
id be okay with dugan leaving.

i don't believe he is as important to the team or as wonderful a player as many here do.

i rate halves, centres & wingers as being more important than fullbacks.

Country Dragon

Juniors
Reynolds should never even be allowed near our club, let alone play for them!
Grub of the highest order, right beside Smith and Slater IMO!