What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons In No Hurry To Sign Mary

possm

Coach
Optimists: We are a different team this year! 2017 is our year! Mary was right!

Realist: Steady on, remember 2015 we were in a similar position and look how that turned out

Pessimist: The wheels are falling off! We need a real coach! We are doomed!

OV: You're all pathetic! Short memories!

OT: Actually OV is partially correct. You do all have short memories. I have spoken.
Look, we were saying last season that Mary should develop a plan based on the skills and talents of the players in his squad. Well with the help of the leadership team and others, the players are now performing to a style of play they believe in and can execute well.

Now all that needs to be done is to repair the damage being done in the back office. If not attended to, we could lose more than Dugan and Widdop. We need to replace players who are leaving, like for like if we want to maintain the same competitiveness.

possm

Coach
I'm hearing either JD or Walters are in line as our 2018 coach. Rookies again, when will we learn.

The Doc

Juniors
For the most part, TL;DR.

Our 2017 performance doesnt have much to do with our 2016 performance, but if we are judging Mary overall as a coach then we have to account for his full tenure, including big winning streaks (now and 2015) and big losing streaks (2015 and 2016). We also have to look past the numbers and look at where he actually struggles, whether that has been fixed and if so, how? For the moment, he has egg of many a face with the way the team is playing but there are still holes, despite coming first, and many of us are wary of those holes being exploited, like they were in 2015.
I know you werent around these parts back then, but the general vibe on our winning streak was 'if we were blowing teams off the park, I would be worried, but we are winning ugly and that is what's needed to win a premiership'. In truth, as longa s we are winning people will look to say that the way we are winning will take us all the way. In 2015, it didnt, and while I'm loving being at the top (the A1 ladder I tape to the wall of my office at work every week will tell you) there's concerns about this year too.

I dont give a f**k what raiders or bulldogs fans thought in 2015 or 2016. I care about my team!

Oh, and many people didnt dispute the signing of Vaughan and McInnes. There were some of us who were cheering. In addition, I really liked the idea of signing Lafai last year (just ask OT!) and while I was against him starting this year, it seems my jubilation was simply a year early!
A quick breakdown Benny:
* If we got the wooden spoon last year under mary, then this year win the grand final, whats marys status as a coach?
Is he shit because he got the wooden spoon last year?
Or is he a great coach cause he won a grand final?
Genuine question, would love to hear your perspective on that.
* The holes being exposed, what holes?
We got exposed against parra, holes to seem to have been plugged dont they?
I mean, along the way we have beaten some teams with "great coaches" and havnt been exposed yet.
Green and Flannigan didnt expose those holes, did they?
I say worry about those holes when and if they get exposed.
* You dont give a shit about other fans, fair enough, neither do I, bit when we want to compare our team to theres, then its legitimate to compare scenarios that are worth comparing.
Raiders 2015-2016 is being used by me to compare us from 2016-2017.
F#ck the fans, compare the teams/coaches run in the respective years.
* Many people didnt dispute Vaughan and McInnes???
Lol come on Benny, not everyone disputed, but the current suicidal parrots ALL threw a stink, especially at the Vaughan signing!!!
How many complained that we splashed cash on a reserve grader that couldnt crack the raiders first grade team?
Lets not get stupid and start denying complaints.
70% minimum of posters on here hung the club for signing Vaughan.
Finally, the Lafai debate. I was against him being chosen ahead of Milne and even Mann.
Heck, i was disappointed the club didnt try harder to off load him.
He is now the best centre option at the club.
Mary left me with egg on my face.
I can admit that.
Mary was right... i was wrong.
We got exposed against parra Big time.
I bagged mary, saying he cant coach.
Mary fixed that problem, that cant be denied as it hasnt been repeated.
Again, mary got it right, i was wrong.
To say a hole will be exposed again is such a stupid comment.
Its like saying "we will lose a game".
Off course we will. Teams getting exposed and losing games is part of rugby league.
Melbourne got held scoreless 2 weeks ago.
Shit happens.
Without trying to predict the teams demise, as it sits at the moment, mary is doing a pretty good job.
The team is doing a excellent job.
All im saying, as a few others are also, is give mary and the boys some credit for this year so far (not you directly, all the so called "realists")
We still have f#cknuts complaining now about management.
Ask them what they are doing about these issues that are bothering them.
Nothing, nothing but complaining on an internet forum and death riding the team and coach.
Would any suicidal parrot from here give up a head coaching job if offered it?
Would they quit because some wanker fan on an internet forum wants them to quit?
But they want mary to walk away hahahaha wake up fools.
He is the coach of the best performing team in the NRL.
Credit to Mary and the boys.

possm

Coach
A quick breakdown Benny:
* If we got the wooden spoon last year under mary, then this year win the grand final, whats marys status as a coach?
I mean, along the way we have beaten some teams with "great coaches" and havnt been exposed yet.
* You dont give a shit about other fans, fair enough, neither do I, bit when we want to compare our team to theres, then its legitimate to compare scenarios that are worth comparing.
Lol come on Benny, not everyone disputed, but the current suicidal parrots ALL threw a stink, especially at the Vaughan signing!!!
How many complained that we splashed cash on a reserve grader that couldnt crack the raiders first grade team?
Finally, the Lafai debate. I was against him being chosen ahead of Milne and even Mann.
I can admit that.
Off course we will. Teams getting exposed and losing games is part of rugby league.
Shit happens.
Without trying to predict the teams demise, as it sits at the moment, mary is doing a pretty good job.
All im saying, as a few others are also, is give mary and the boys some credit for this year so far (not you directly, all the so called "realists")
Nothing, nothing but complaining on an internet forum and death riding the team and coach.
Would they quit because some wanker fan on an internet forum wants them to quit?
When our edge forwards shut down the opposition halves, we are really only exposed on the right edge when Aitken flies in and fails to shut down play.

BennyV

Referee
A quick breakdown Benny:
That's never happened in the history of the NRL so it's impossible to say. But if he got the spoon, I'd be spewing that he was given an opportunity to back it up.
Disagree that the holes have closed. We still have an issue with our right side defense, as seen against Manly in particular (2 tries) and Cronulla (unable to exploit it). It hasn't lost us a game since Parra because our forwards have been dominant since. But that doesnt mean it's not an issue, and the concern is that if our forwards are matched, it is an easy passage to the tryline.
Use of the bench is questionable too. Works for the moment because Vaughan, Packer and JDB can pump out big minutes but if/when we lose a couple of them to injury and SOO, Mary's use of the bench over his career has proven below par.
The thought process that just because we are winning means everything we do is perfect is weak.
The concern is a trend over the last 5 years. Not just the 2016-17.
Wait, you said nearly every singly member of the forum was against the Vaughan signing. A quick look through that specific thread disagrees with that. Many were happy with the signing, iffy on the price.
I can admit that.
Shit happens.
I'll give him that, Lafai was definitely the right call! Although, despite me being against it, I dont think I was wrong on this one - just a year ahead of my time ;)
This whole back-and-forth started because a self-professed optimist claimed that people werent 'allowed' to be optimistic. I simply said that it goes both ways, and the realists amongst us are being equally criticised for being grounded!

possm

Coach
Can't wait to see Thomo, Friz, and JDB smash Pearce as soon as he gets the ball. A few big crash tackles early on will shut him down for the rest of the game.

possm

Coach
The longer they wait the better it is whilst McJetski remains in neutral for the season to unfold.
The club cannot afford to stuff this up again!!
Mary won't win a stare down with Millward. Too much power in the Millward/Young families. Mary is feeling the heat and will be gone at seasons end or sooner.

mickeylane

Bench
Wh
A quick breakdown Benny:
I can admit that.
Shit happens.
Flanagan coached Cronulla team 2015 - 15th
Flanagan coached Cronulla team 2016 - premiers
I guess he's a shit coach!!

cussy

Juniors
McGregor has the team firing. The NFL model of team management is working. The team is currently in first place when most had them as wooden spooners including many of the "supporters" here. They have signed a repreasantive half as well as many of their quality juniors and hopefully resigning the bulk of thier first grade side. The cap is under control. The training staff are managing the players injuries and fitness well. The team obviously look happy.
What the f**k is your problem?
Because we missed the eight last year and 2014?
Enjoy the ride.

possm

Coach
I think no matter what we think, a decision has been made to replace Mary for the 2018 season. Mary is performing for an improvement to his resume.

I think no matter what we think, a decision has been made to replace Mary for the 2018 season. Mary is performing for an improvement to his resume.

I wish that were true, possm.

Why the club retained Mary after last year but sack him with better results this year will take a bit of explaining.

Straight Shooter

mickeylane

Bench
Mcgregor will stay on a 2 year deal..like I said the deal w coincide w Bellamys contract expiring at Storm - Bellamy has been Dousts tArget ever since Bennett left and still is.. Mcgregor to stay for another 2!!

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

Lay off those green buds when you're on the chew, possm.

Give it another month and Im sure everything will be in place, one way or another. They will clearly stick with McGregor, they are just testing all the parts and making sure the product won't break down again.

giboz71

First Grade
...Sharks came in 6th in 2016. Do you even Rugby League?

Actually from memory, they won the spoon in 2014, after the peptides scandal and Flanno was suspended.

Came 6th in 2015.

And Premiers in 2016.

I think Mickey was alluding to the fact they went from the spoon to premiers within 2 years.

Latest posts