What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Whilst I'm very happy that he is going to re-sign, I find it curious what has gone on behind the scenes.

Millward was quoted as saying that Field would be groomed at fullback, then transitioned into the 5/8 role to partner Hunt. That appears to have been either a case of Millward over reacting or the expectation that IF Widdop was going to re-sign it would only be a short contract of 1 or 2 years. Both though indicate that the shifting sands of recruitment cannot be predicted, especially in this market. I think it would have been a benefit for everyone if Millward didn't open his mouth about these issues.

Now as for Dugan, he has really backed himself into a corner, as it appears even the Tigers are not interested in him. Really only the Knights may be tempted given they lost Bird and could use a defensive fullback, but at what cost and what would be the difference for Dugan to sign with them or us or even French rugby?

They way it looks to me is that with the re-signing of Widdop as 5/8 for 4yrs, what is to be done with Field? My guess is that Dugan, as I mentioned above, is not a super priority for us. I feel that Field will play ffullback next year and given this year and another pre-season to "bulk-up" but without losing his dynamic speed.
I think Millward has a vision of a spine of:
Field
Widdop
Hunt
McInnes

Also, if Dugan isn't re-signed then use his current money and the priority must go (in order) Packer, McInnes - (extension), Mann+ Lafai, Lawrie + Kerr.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Very good if true.

4 years with a Widdop/hunt halves pairing could set us up very well.

I'm curious to see how they bring through someone like Jai Field, he might have to start on the wing in the centres then be the long term solution to Widdop. By which time he would be around 23.. could be very well planned. Or I'm giving too much credit.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Told you all and Im still betting on Dugan and Packer staying......put it this way all the experts were saying now that Cronk is going Widdop will return to Melbourne and he was the most likely to not resign.....lets just wait and see...Im very confident the 3 will remain......go The Mighties

BSE
Can you tell me the winner of the 5 at randwick
Thanks

Saintsified

Bench
Difference is that Widdop has shown class and ability in the past. Mary is yet to do so.
Both have shown in 2017 something, but many wont rate Mary yet so why rate Widdop after 7 rounds? goes from being shit to a $1m dollar player in 7 rounds????? thats fair enough but now Mary is a supercoach too.

TruSaint

Referee
The Tigpies have no forwards for the halves or FB to play behind (this Tedesco to Chooks) so Cleary being smart will concentrate on the pigs first especially as he will try and lure his son at some point.
Maybe a smokey that James Graham may head to Tigpies if forced out at the Dogs.
Nofauluma to FB will be their option I suspect.

Makes sense.

thebigredv

First Grade
Tell us this news this time last year, we go into meltdown.

Tell us this news this year, we jump for joy.

Exactly what I am thinking.

Biggest difference this year to last has to be the absence of Benji Marshall and Mitch Rein. Enter McInnes and McCrone and you see much happier 5/8 and much more productive back rowers and props. Now just imagine what Hunt and Widdop will get up to.

OzDragon

Coach
Exactly what I am thinking.

Biggest difference this year to last has to be the absence of Benji Marshall and Mitch Rein. Enter McInnes and McCrone and you see much happier 5/8 and much more productive back rowers and props. Now just imagine what Hunt and Widdop will get up to.
I like the extension. Just funny the difference 12 months can make.

Latest posts