What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Roosters

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregot the man to coach the Dragons long-term: Frizell

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

20 Apr 2017, 3 p.m.
r0_0_4051_2701_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

WEIGHT LIFTED: St George Illawarra forward Tyson Frizell is relieved to have sorted out his long-term future well in advance of the 2017 season. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE forward Tyson Frizell believes Paul McGregor has done enough in the Dragons flying start to the season to earn a contract extension, but the club won’t be rushing into a decision on their coach’s future.

McGregor endured a firestorm of criticism at the end of a dismal 2016 campaign but has silenced his critics in emphatic fashion with his side sitting at the top of the table after seven rounds.

It’s seen him closing in on a contract extension with the club he captained in its inagural season, though CEO Peter Doust has said the board is in no hurry to lock McGegor down beyond this season.

With games against heavyweights Melbourne and Cronulla to follow Tuesday’s Anzac Day clash with the Roosters, a decision prior to the club’s round 12 bye appears unlikely.

Frizell re-committed to the club on a three-year contract extension – keeping him at the club until 2010 – prior to last year’s Four Nations and said he hopes to play under McGregor for the length of that deal.

“I’ve played my best footy under Mary so of course I’d like him to stay,” Frizell said.

“I definitely think he deserves an opportunity to stay at the club longer and I’d love nothing more than to see him here long term.

“We’re the only people that really see how much effort and how much passion Mary does put into our team. He’s the first one here and the last to leave and all the little things like that.

“He’s played for the club his whole life, now he’s able to coach and I probably couldn’t see Mary coaching anywhere else. The fact is those things happen but if we can keep playing good footy hopefully we can see Mary here for a while.”

Talk of McGregor’s future has taken a back seat in recent weeks to ongoing speculation surrounding off-contract pair Gareth Widdop and Josh Dugan that threatens to overshadow the club’s 6-1 start to the year.

McGregor was visibly frustrated by the persistent questions regarding the star duo that hijacked Wednesday’s launch of the traditional Anzac Day clash.

They’re just two puzzle pieces in the most chaotic open market in recent memory and Frizell said he is relieved to have sorted out his long-term future well in advance of the 2017 season.

“It’s absolutely something thing I don’t like to leave to the very end,” Frizell said.

“I guess some players are able to do it but for myself I probably would dwell on it in the back of my mind.

“I’m very happy to have sorted that out and it lets me just worry about playing good footy for the team knowing it’s sorted. I suppose your future within the NRL is never fully secure but I’m happy that, for the time-being, it is.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4610019/frizell-endorses-mcgregor/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
My favourite game of the year: Frizell
Thu 20th April, 03:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra back-rower Tyson Frizell has labelled the traditional Anzac Day clash with the Sydney Roosters as his favourite NRL game of the season.

Frizell also discusses his fitness following recent rib and elbow complaints ahead of Tuesday's game against the Roosters at Allianz Stadium, Moore Park.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/04/20/my_favourite_game_of.html

BennyV

Referee
Friz is a beast, but I still think he has another level to go up. IMO, he could easily be the best edge-backrower in the game. I hope that this new McGregot character can help him get there before his contract expires in 2010.

(Seriously, what sort of f**king amateur hour is this newspaper operating in).

SBD82

Coach
Friz is a beast, but I still think he has another level to go up. IMO, he could easily be the best edge-backrower in the game. I hope that this new McGregot character can help him get there before his contract expires in 2010.

(Seriously, what sort of f**king amateur hour is this newspaper operating in).
Also, McGegor.

And it's the mercury (mockery). They were amateurish before they lost all of their editorial staff.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Preview: Round 8 v Roosters
Fri 21st April, 10:00AM
A A

Sydney Roosters v St George Illawarra Dragons
Allianz Stadium, Moore Park
Tuesday, 4pm

The St George Illawarra Dragons will look to maintain their standing atop the NRL Telstra Premiership ladder against the Sydney Roosters in the traditional Anzac Day clash at Allianz Stadium, Moore Park this Tuesday.

The Dragons' incredible record on Anzac Day means very little against the Roosters especially since both teams are sitting pretty in the top four.

The Red V will welcome back Josh Dugan (hamstring) at fullback for the significant fixture, with Kurt Mann shifting back to the interchange.

Five-eighth and skipper Gareth Widdop (150th NRL game) and centre Tim Lafai (100th NRL game) will also celebrate big milestones against the Tricolours.

Other than positional switches for the Roosters – Blake Ferguson and Shaun Kenny-Dowall swap and Jake Friend starts – they will welcome back Kane Evans on the bench in place of Ryan Matterson (syndesmosis).

Teams –

Roosters: 1. Michael Gordon, 2. Daniel Tupou, 3. Joseph Manu, 4. Shaun Kenny-Dowall, 5. Blake Ferguson, 6. Luke Keary, 7. Mitchell Pearce, 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, 9. Jake Friend, 10. Isaac Liu, 11. Boyd Cordner, 12. Mitchell Aubusson, 13. Aidan Guerra. Interchange: 14. Zane Tetevano, 15. Paul Carter, 16. Kane Evans, 17. Sio Siua Taukeiaho, 18. Latrell Mitchell, 19. Dylan Napa, 20. Connor Watson, 21. Lindsay Collins.

Dragons: 1. Josh Dugan, 2. Nene Macdonald, 3. Euan Aitken, 4. Tim Lafai, 5. Jason Nightingale, 6. Gareth Widdop (c), 7. Josh McCrone, 8. Russell Packer, 9. Cameron McInnes, 10. Paul Vaughan, 11. Tyson Frizell, 12. Joel Thompson, 13. Jack de Belin. Interchange: 14. Tariq Sims, 15. Leeson Ah Mau, 16. Kurt Mann, 17. Hame Sele, 18. Taane Milne, 19. Jacob Host, 20. Luciano Leilua, 21. Blake Lawrie.

Key Match-Up: Luke Keary v Gareth Widdop – Two of the form five-eighths of the competition, Keary and Widdop head into Anzac Day with not much between them statistically. In terms of try assists (Widdop 8, Keary 7), tackle breaks (Widdop 10, Keary 9) and tries (Widdop 6, Keary 3) there is very little separating them. They're even producing a similar amount of missed tackles per game (Widdop 4, Keary 3.6).

The History: Played 36; Roosters 16, Dragons 19, Drawn 1. The Roosters may have won eight of their past 11 games against the Dragons but when it comes to Anzac Day, history tells us a different story. The Red V has won a whopping seven of the past nine games on April 25 against the Roosters, including the past two years.

Match Officials: Referee: Matt Cecchin. Assistant Referee: Alan Shortall. Sideline Officials: Chris Butler and Brett Suttor.

Televised: Channel Nine – Live coverage from 3:30pm; Fox League – Live coverage from 3:30pm.

Radio: ABC, 2GB and Triple M

Social: Ensure you are across the Dragons' social media platforms on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/04/21/nrl_preview_round_8_.html

possm

Coach
Roosters will be on a high after winning Tedesco's signature for 2018. We will need to be on our game and I'm sure we will.

Sloth

Juniors
Roosters will be on a high after winning Tedesco's signature for 2018. We will need to be on our game and I'm sure we will.

How will they be, the guys in the backline without a contract for next year will be thinking of a new club. SKD will be thinking, why is only Newcastle interested me? Ferguson will be thinking wonder what flavour cruisers they have at the Tigers. Gordon, which clubs are left that I have not played for? Latrell, why did my parents name me Latrell?

slippery5

Juniors
Old habits die hard.
Exactly what we did last year with KFFL and Nighty playing on the opposite wings and then finally swapped back and Mann finally promoted.
7 rounds gone this year with wingers on the wrong side and now possibly to be played on their correct sides but alas no action to promote Mann who is better than at least 2 in the existing backline.
Same behaviour by the coach 2 years in a row, would love to know why.
Nfi my dear Watson Nfi

SaintElroy

Juniors
Why? You would think after tedescos signature they would be a little nervous, upset . There's going to be a shuffle in that backline. And someone's getting the flick.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I do find it a bit odd that we continue to pick MacDonald ahead of Mann. MacDonald has some physical advantages over Mann but to me Mann is simply a better footballer. He defends well, reads the game, can find the line just as well as MacDonald. Oh well, I guess Kurt will get his seven minutes late in the second half, hopefully when we're 20 points ahead.

Walpole
McDonald is bigger but mann plays harder.
Runs harder.
Defends harder.
Hopefully McDonald looks in the mirror and see how big a unit he is.

possm

Coach
Why? You would think after tedescos signature they would be a little nervous, upset . There's going to be a shuffle in that backline. And someone's getting the flick.
Why, Gordon retires and Tedesco slots in at fullback.

Latest posts