What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Delboy

First Grade
One of the most amusing statements that gets used each year is " uncle Nick always gets his man". How that never sets off an alarm at the NRL that the cap,is being manipulated big time is a strange phenomen.

Not surprising given there seems to be a connection around the CEO and the Dogs, Broncos and Roosters ( see John Grant also)

The numbskulls in the media refuse to see through their own statement, the powers that be then I believe ruled that Meriton couldn't support the Tigers with TPAs,given their previous sponsorship. City Ford group ring a bell ????

Chipmunk

Coach
Here's how Paulo plays long minutes. He is at the bottom of this list:

Tackles per minute 2016 (average minutes)
0.70 Fensom (51)
0.70 Friend (76)
0.70 Hannant (35)
0.69 Alvaro (38)
0.66 James (59)
0.64 Evans (34)
0.64 Myles (43)
0.64 K. Pritchard (27)
0.63 Graham (61)
0.62 Boyd (35)
0.62 Peats (65)
0.61 G. Burgess (39)
0.61 Mannah (40)
0.61 McInnes (63)
0.61 Rein (70)
0.61 Tolman (60)
0.60 McCullough (67)
0.60 McLean (38)
0.60 Terepo (38)
0.59 Brown (46)

0.58 Lichaa (75)
0.57 De Gois (55)
0.57 Finucane (60)
0.57 McGuire (58)
0.57 Napa (57)
0.57 Prior (44)
0.56 Tamou (47)
0.55 T. Burgess (45)
0.55 Cook (49)
0.55 Matagi (29)
0.55 Matulino (52)
0.55 Waerea-Hargreaves (49)
0.54 Moa (37)
0.54 A. Fifita (55)
0.54 C. Smith (80)
0.54 Vaughan (38)
0.53 O'Brien (26)
0.53 J. Trbojevich (70)
0.52 Farah (65)
0.52 Heighington (33)
0.51 Bromwich (59)
0.51 Granville (62)
0.50 Parker (61)
0.49 Lussick (43)
0.48 S. Burgess (72)
0.48 Pulu (37)
0.48 Woods (57)
0.47 Gallen (64)
0.47 Hodgson (71)
0.47 Klemmer (54)
0.47 M. Scott (46)
0.46 Taumalolo (52)
0.46 Vave (35)
0.45 Ennis (80)
0.44 Paasi (45)
0.43 Luke (72)
0.42 Kasiano (31)
0.39 Paulo (49)

I looked at 2016 stats because the sample is larger, and only looked at middle defenders (and only some of them). Obviously those who spent any minutes anywhere else (e.g. Peats spending some time at edge forward to cover for injury) will have their stats distorted.

For comparison I have also included Eels middle forward stats for 2017:
0.67 Alvaro (30)
0.64 Mannah (37)
0.64 Vave (30)
0.62 Terepo (37)
0.58 K. Pritchard (71)
0.58 B. Scott (44)
0.50 Brown (60)
0.46 Matagi (44)
0.39 O'Brien (17)

Hey Pou Bear, I'm curious to pick your wisdom a bit.

Going back to your tackle per minute half the amount of players data stat list. If the Raiders replaced a pretty good tackle per minute defensive middle player in Vaughan with a much poorer tackle per minute player in Junior Paulo, yet had a much better win percentage and won more games than they did before, then what does this say about the tackle per minute stats in general?

I'm not being smart, I'm asking a legitimate question... Sticky had no issue with swapping Junior for Vaughan and they became a better team with a much poorer middle field defender. Is Junior that much better attacker than Vaughan? I don't see it.

Last edited:

eloquentEEL

First Grade
“Any club which believes it is likely to exceed the 2018 salary cap based on current agreements should notify the salary cap auditor immediately".

This is what I can't cop. Why don't the NRL *know* what they've registered for each club for any given year?

strider

Post Whore
“Any club which believes it is likely to exceed the 2018 salary cap based on current agreements should notify the salary cap auditor immediately".

This is what I can't cop. Why don't the NRL *know* what they've registered for each club for any given year?
THey havent figured out how to use the SUM() function in excel yet

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hey Pou Bear, I'm curious to pick your wisdom a bit.

Going back to your tackle per minute half the amount of players data stat list. If the Raiders replaced a pretty good tackle per minute defensive middle player in Vaughan with a much poorer tackle per minute player in Junior Paulo, yet had a much better win percentage and won more games than they did before, then what does this say about the tackle per minute stats in general?
Vaughan wasn't as hard working as Boyd though, and they kept him.
I'm not being smart, I'm asking a legitimate question... Sticky had no issue with swapping Junior for Vaughan and they became a better team with a much poorer middle field defender. Is Junior that much better attacker than Vaughan? I don't see it.
I think Junior Paulo is a much better attacking player than Vaughan, and like we all keep telling each other - you need balance. The Raiders are able to cover for Junior Paulo so he's a good fit. But again tonight he was the only Raiders forward who even came close to making as many runs as tackles. He made fewer tackles than both Sezer and Croker.

84 Baby

Referee
Maybe a player can waive the cooling off period (to give his new club certainty) but that doesn't effect the NRL's 10 day (administrative) turnaround in registering contracts received?
I think that's what I said but this isn't a cooling off period, it's a registration turnaround period which just happens to match cooling off period. Which brings us to back to Hayne waiving his cooling off period so the NRL waived their registration turnaround period. The whole rival club thing doesn't matter as it is the registration turnaround period waiving that is being questioned and the NRLs own rules appear silent here.

Umm.... period?

Because the clubs may not yet have forwarded all agreements to the NRL. They are clearly talking about the impact of contracts that have not yet been forwarded to the NRL (or at least have not yet been registered), as they include the warning that when the contracts are presented they may not be registered.

"Any club that contracts in excess of this number does so with knowledge of the proposed 2018 salary cap as it currently stands and risks contracts not being registered" (from the article cited).

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I guess some of the clubs are saying, yeh we know but we are gonna cut some players before next year

strider

Post Whore
I think that's what I said but this isn't a cooling off period, it's a registration turnaround period which just happens to match cooling off period. Which brings us to back to Hayne waiving his cooling off period so the NRL waived their registration turnaround period. The whole rival club thing doesn't matter as it is the registration turnaround period waiving that is being questioned and the NRLs own rules appear silent here.

Umm.... period?
At the very least it shows the NRL were highly involved in the Hayne signing ... it supposedly happened in a rush and at night ... yet the nrl was fully aware and ok with it all for a 10am announcement the next day .... perhaps the titans talked to the nrl earlier???

Its just very odd given that all other high profile situations play out in the media for days/weeks/months before anything is considered official ..... i think its very safe to say the nrl were very much onboard with hayne landing on the gold coast

strider

Post Whore
I guess some of the clubs are saying, yeh we know but we are gonna cut some players before next year
Havent the nrl mandated in the past that cap situations be sorted before allowing signings to proceed?

Burgess return to souths needed walker moved .... roberts going to brisbane required copley moved and then roosters getting copley required jennings moved

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
That would make sense and also maybe why nothing has been officially announced but we are talking bout the NRL here

El Diablo

Post Whore

this explains it better

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/01b8e5135701443add36c463c5879219

“At this time, it is the NRL’s expectation that this number is used by clubs for planning their 2018 rosters. Any club that contracts in excess of this number does so with knowledge of the proposed 2018 salary cap as it currently stands and risks contracts not being registered ...

“Any club which believes it is likely to exceed the 2018 salary cap based on current agreements should notify the salary cap auditor immediately with a plan to ensure the club is salary cap compliant for the 2018 season.

Glenneel

Bench
Well another Broncos game, on Friday no less, another refereeing blunder/s favouring them again. Pencil in Broncos getting to gf this year thanks to refs.
Gee they must have been filthy when Cows got up and beat them, didn't go to script.

Latest posts