What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QRL Tipping - Week 8

expansionist

Juniors
Mackay Cutters v Easts Tigers at BB Print Stadium Mackay on Saturday, April 22 - 6pm

Wynnum Manly Seagulls v CQ Capras at BMD Kougari Oval on Saturday, April 22 - 6pm

Souths Logan Magpies v Ipswich Jets at Davies Park on Sunday, April 23 - 1.40pm* (Live on Channel 9 QLD)

Redcliffe Dolphins v Sunshine Coast Falcons at Dolphin Park on Sunday, April 23 - 2pm

Burleigh Bears v PNG Hunters at Pizzey Park on Sunday, April 23 - 2.05pm

Norths Devils v Northern Pride at Bishop Park on Sunday, April 23 - 3pm

Townsville Blackhawks v Tweed Heads Seagulls at Jack Manski Oval on Sunday, April 23 - 3pm

Stewbum

Juniors
Mackay Cutters v Easts Tigers at BB Print Stadium Mackay on Saturday, April 22 - 6pm

Wynnum Manly Seagulls v CQ Capras at BMD Kougari Oval on Saturday, April 22 - 6pm

Souths Logan Magpies v Ipswich Jets at Davies Park on Sunday, April 23 - 1.40pm* (Live on Channel 9 QLD with commentary direct from the historic Davies Park Urinals)

Redcliffe Dolphins v Sunshine Coast Falcons at Dolphin Park on Sunday, April 23 - 2pm

Townsville Blackhawks v Tweed Heads Seagulls at Jack Manski Oval on Sunday, April 23

XXXX Cap

Juniors

Souths Logan Magpies v Ipswich Jets at Davies Park on Sunday, April 23 - 1.40pm* (Live on Channel 9 QLD)

Townsville Blackhawks v Tweed Heads Seagulls at Jack Manski Oval on Sunday, April 23 - 3pm

expansionist

Juniors
Good one guys, Stewbum - I will be at the 'historic' Davies Park tomorrow. I can give you a commentary of the urinals if youd like?

Truly a place that time forgot.

League guru

Juniors
Good win for Ipswich over the Broncos Reserve Grade (aka Souths). Even with a "Giddy Up" from the Referees they couldn't win it. TV Commentator Scott Sattler may like Matt Mintos passing and kicking game but forgot to mention his Reluctance to bend his back and actually make a tackle. Has brought last years Capras form to Souths.

Brutus

Referee
Always thought the Hunters were good value today.
Plenty of points scored thus far.
How did Wynnum lose to Central.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
If you were Central, you would have been coming to Kougari thinking this is one we can win. The Gulls went ok against Easts but had lost four straight and only scored three tries in three weeks. Daniel Ogden being out disrupted the line-up further and then Mitchell Dodds was stretchered off after 12 minutes.

Central did turn up to play, unlike Wynnum who conceded seven tries. They had a couple of chances to get back in the game but a very poor completion rate didn't help there.

We knew their attack was ordinary but now the defence is falling apart as well. God help them against the Blackhawks this week.

Brutus

Referee
They need a bit of the late great Mal Green's venom and technique in defence by the sounds of it.

Stewbum

Juniors
Good one guys, Stewbum - I will be at the 'historic' Davies Park tomorrow. I can give you a commentary of the urinals if youd like?

Truly a place that time forgot.
Had a mate snap a photo in there a week back - hasn't changed in 50 years. Olfactory overload.

Stewbum

Juniors
Good win for Ipswich over the Broncos Reserve Grade (aka Souths). Even with a "Giddy Up" from the Referees they couldn't win it. TV Commentator Scott Sattler may like Matt Mintos passing and kicking game but forgot to mention his Reluctance to bend his back and actually make a tackle. Has brought last years Capras form to Souths.
Yeah it was a good win. I had a punt on Ippy too. Love the Walker boys' innovations. Have been calling for them for 20 years. Use the effing rule book to your advantage!

Diehards

Juniors
Did they not revamp the Leagues Club a few years back using all their old boys to do it?

I do respect that they have managed to keep the club afloat over the past 10 years despite having no money. I dont want to see another historic BRL club go under

expansionist

Juniors
Yeah the leagues club is decidedly OK - a nice building.

Its a nice building, which is just too small to house anything of any use at the club. All public facilities are external (in cruddy portable buildings or decrepit old piles of rubble).

Only seating is portable style terrace seating - capacity around 50, and not one seat anywhere with any cover in the whole area.

It is a disgusting experience when it is hot, cold or wet and everytime I got there with my young kids it was an ordeal.

But - theyre my local club.

Stewbum

Juniors
Yeah the leagues club is decidedly OK - a nice building.

Its a nice building, which is just too small to house anything of any use at the club. All public facilities are external (in cruddy portable buildings or decrepit old piles of rubble).

Only seating is portable style terrace seating - capacity around 50, and not one seat anywhere with any cover in the whole area.

It is a disgusting experience when it is hot, cold or wet and everytime I got there with my young kids it was an ordeal.

But - theyre my local club.
It's been obvious for decades what they need to do - go to the population. West End and Rugby league go together like a olives and meat pie.

Springfield.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Just getting stuck into reading Steve Haddin's book. Some relevant extracts :

With the Gabba being used by Rugby Union and the Exhibition commandeered as an isolation hospital for the Spanish flu outbreak......All matched were switched to Davies Park, then known as "The Dairy", and the necessary refurbishments put a significant dint in QRL finances.

Perhaps the toilet block was built in that round of refurbishments.

All matches were played at Davies Park after the QRL signed a ten-year lease on the ground for 175 pounds per annum. Plans to turn the tree-lined riverfront location at West End into the "finest football ground in Australia" never eventuated.

That's a bit tough, surely it's in the top four or five?

Brutus

Referee
Last time I took a slash in that toilet someone had written a Souths all-stars team of the 80's on the wall. There's passion for you! I think they went with Bruce Harry at pivot, ahead of Gary French.

Brutus

Referee
Good to see they have some knowledgable people working for the QRL media department.

The bloke filling in for Salty this week to do the voiceovers for the Intrust Super Cup matches prounounced Kougari Oval as Koo-gaaar-eee Oval.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Walter Williams - he's done a few Wynnum games this season and pronounced it like that each time. You will think someone might tell him, I mean it's only been around for 50 years.

He was one of many axed from 4BC a couple of years ago. Typical of the type of work done by radio people when they are down on their luck.

Latest posts