What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Hodkinson

Spot On

Coach
Oh dear, it is obvious that a few in here haven't watched a Knights game this year or know what Brown has done so far at the club.

And for those who are unaware - Hodkinson was not a Brown signing.

davi

Juniors
Well, a Broncos supporter started this thread.

My post is not about shit stirring, and more just about discussion and analysis. Gus Gould has also said the Knights struggles have been largely because the development program has fell by the wayside before Nathan Bronwn came on board. He suggests Brown has been getting that back in order, but it will take a 7 or 8 years to see the dividends.

Also I'm aware that Hodkinson has been a signing that has not panned out for the Knights since last year. But to be dropped from first grade after playing state of Origin only a couple of years ago is a fall from grace. The same as Tony Williams who can't get a crack in first grade for the sharks, after playing state of origin a couple years ago. In Williams defense though the Sharks forward pack (Pryor, Gallan, Graham, Fifita, Lewis) is one of the best in the league.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It was incredibly predictable that he was going to be shit in Newcastle colours. The less talented partner of a halves duo carried by the Dogs forwards, no way he was going to be anything in a side going backwards.

Still, achieved a lot in his career. 150 odd NRL games and NSW's hero in 2014, certainly can hang the boots up proudly. Or go to England and be a star there.

Knight76

Juniors
Or go to England and be a star there.

Which is what he should be doing.

I don't want to hear about Browns ESL connections and how we should be bringing in some poms to boost us. If he hasn't done so yet, I can't see it happening and is my biggest disappointment with him as coach.

ed-grimley

Bench
My post is not about shit stirring, and more just about discussion and analysis. Gus Gould has also said the Knights struggles have been largely because the development program has fell by the wayside before Nathan Bronwn came on board. He suggests Brown has been getting that back in order, but it will take a 7 or 8 years to see the dividends.

Also I'm aware that Hodkinson has been a signing that has not panned out for the Knights since last year. But to be dropped from first grade after playing state of Origin only a couple of years ago is a fall from grace. The same as Tony Williams who can't get a crack in first grade for the sharks, after playing state of origin a couple years ago. In Williams defense though the Sharks forward pack (Pryor, Gallan, Graham, Fifita, Lewis) is one of the best in the league.
OK, but I save my concern for my own team and Gus should be trying to work out what's going on at Penrith.

Exsilium

First Grade
Huh? He has been our worst player this year certainly and arguably over the past two.

Our halfback directly let in two tries and only kicked _twice_ last game.

He was dropped on form. Form is probably terrible because of the knees but he swears he is fine.

Hope he is shifted into a coaching role because his first grade days are over.

So the Knights squad, as poor as it is, has no bearing on his form? You could have had any half playing up there and they'd have failed with the form of your entire squad.

I'm trying not to defend him but I think its a bit rich to pick him as your worst player.

Spot On

Coach
So the Knights squad, as poor as it is, has no bearing on his form? You could have had any half playing up there and they'd have failed with the form of your entire squad.

I'm trying not to defend him but I think its a bit rich to pick him as your worst player.

Be honest, have you watched every Newcastle game this season or entered and read the Knights forum after each round?

What are the highlights from him so far this season, besides a few conversions, that have really grabbed your attention?

Apey

Staff member

No he is actually our worst player

macavity

Referee

He is meant to be the dominant playmaker but has been an absolute passenger.

Yes, he may not have been an absolute hot mess like say Jaelen Feeney, however that is largely because of his lack of involvement (hard to make mistakes when you don't touch the ball) ... and it must also be noted that the expectations of him are rightfully much higher than those on rookies.

All in all, given his position and pay packet, he has been the worst for us.

Exsilium

First Grade
Be honest, have you watched every Newcastle game this season or entered and read the Knights forum after each round?

What are the highlights from him so far this season, besides a few conversions, that have really grabbed your attention?

I'll be honest. Most games last year, I think I missed about 5. This year, all. I try to watch all the NRL games tbh.

Exsilium

First Grade
I'm not saying he is a world beater. However I dont think your forwards are allowing enough time for your halves and to a lesser extent, your backs.

It's all well and good to throw a wide ball to Gagai or go behind the first decoy and allow Lamb run it. Might create a few chances but ultimately your forwards not running consistent lines, failing to draw defenders and the inability to bend the line as a result of drawing defenders is hurting the timing of your attack and the ability to have the opposition guessing.

I think you guys would actually go alright if you had one or two key forwards. I like what I see from Daniel Safiti

In all fairness, I dont think your defensive structures are far off.

Outsider looking in.

macavity

Referee
Oh, our forwards aren't making metres either - but a fair bit of that is to do with the absolute shit show of a kicking game meaning we are constantly coming off our own line and/or defending. Hard to make metres when you only have 40% of the possession and most of that is in your own 20.

Exsilium

First Grade
Oh, our forwards aren't making metres either - but a fair bit of that is to do with the absolute shit show of a kicking game meaning we are constantly coming off our own line and/or defending. Hard to make metres when you only have 40% of the possession and most of that is in your own 20.

Your forwards need to put your halves into a position to pin the opposition or build pressure to begin with but it does go both ways and Ill agree on your point.

Whenever teams like Melbourne, the Cowboys or Brisbane are under constant kick pressure they have two forwards in front of the kicker with the option of negating the quick markers by going outside both decoys to the 5/8 who has all the time in the world. It also opens them up to running on the last play or going in behind the line. Most defenses will commit to the halfback and at least they have the option without having to constantly kick under pressure. That's all Hodkinson does. Gets the ball, moves off the left or right foot and kicks to infiniti and beyond.

With better structures and more discipline you will probably find his kicking game and options would improve.

Burwood

Bench
His poor form this year has been more noticeable because Newcastle have actually been in the position to win multiple games, but always seem to fall at the last hurdle. Last year we were getting rolled by 30+ each week, so of course there was less notice taken of his performances.

Hopefully this week Barnett, Pete and Sione can find themselves not needing to take on the kicking duties of a disabled halfback.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I don't think he's much chop at all tbh
It's hard to know because the quality of his squad is so bad, but it's fair to say he hasn't really gotten the best of out his players consistently

In any event whether he can coach or not won't matter unless they sign some serious talent or produce in the next 18 months, if not in 2 years time he'll have another spoon or two to his name, they'll still be a 6-8 win team at best and he'll be sacked and maybe his career as an NRL HC is over

Tough spot

You dont think he is any good or you dont know?

Pedge1971

First Grade
Gee, signed on as their marquee player only to be dropped a year later.

No wonder Bird didn't want to go near that basket case.

Can we blame Bennett for this or??

Blame Hagan. His knees are f**ked and they were when he was signed by Stone and Hages. Brown inherited the cluster f**k and sadly Hodko cannot compete in the NRL anymore. He is shot.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Your forwards need to put your halves into a position to pin the opposition or build pressure to begin with but it does go both ways and Ill agree on your point.

Whenever teams like Melbourne, the Cowboys or Brisbane are under constant kick pressure they have two forwards in front of the kicker with the option of negating the quick markers by going outside both decoys to the 5/8 who has all the time in the world. It also opens them up to running on the last play or going in behind the line. Most defenses will commit to the halfback and at least they have the option without having to constantly kick under pressure. That's all Hodkinson does. Gets the ball, moves off the left or right foot and kicks to infiniti and beyond.

With better structures and more discipline you will probably find his kicking game and options would improve.

Erm Hodko doesnt kick it mate. His knees are shot....that is the point.

nick87

Coach
You dont think he is any good or you dont know?

I don't think he's any good, if I had to bet now I'd say he's not a good coach
but I'm not concrete on that and I accept that given the state of his squad he needs more time to show his wears