What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop or Dugan? and who replaces them?

mobels

Juniors
'It comes as the Wests Tigers ruled out off-contract Dragons fullback Josh Dugan as a replacement for the departing James Tedesco'

Meaning Dugan has 0 other options if he wants to stay in the NRL, because no one wants him as a fullback and were willing to pay him in the middle of centre and fullback money ($750 - 800k). If we lose him it's to French Rugby.

Gareth67

First Grade
Now that if true it is extremely good news for several reasons
1. All the doom and gloom sayers proved wrong
2. No f**kwhit replacement coming
3. Our marquis player who is in career best form is a Dragon of the very best kind
4. Proved all the wanker predictions from the sports writers wrong
And wait for it here is the absolute best part of the whole thing
5. I expect to see a return from Vas & co with strong claims they have been proven 100% correct and in fact Widdop was definitely not wanted by any other club and him staying is conclusive proof
Win win all round can't wait for a sign from the missing persons bureau.

Agree with you on all counts . As with Vas.& Associates Pty. Ltd. - let me say that if he was a few shillings short of a quid before , then now , he would be a full quid , short of a quid !

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
FMD there are some ludicrous posts and thoughts going on in this place
People happy to see Dugan and Widdop go and be replaced by a host of
Grubs
Hayne, Josh Reynolds, Bird, Foran
Or
Journeymen or people likelywithout a club
Gordon, Morris', Maloney
Or
Never was'
Mybe
Moses
To come to our club and some would want more than what Dugan and Widdop are on or looking for
Would be far happier to pay what is needed to keep what we have and not let any of the others anywhere near our club
Can't believe the sluttish sell our soles behaviour of some people.
To be fair, I would definitely take Maloney. Dude is a premiership magnet!

Vinnie

Juniors
Hopefully we can keep both .. now that roosters claim to have signed Tedesco which other club other than the tigers would want a fullback ? Let alone pay that kind of coin ... that would atleast entice the player to want to leave in the first place .. the answer is 0 if Mary resigns Dugan plays fullback if he doesn't Dugan will still be fullback SO GIVE THE GUY WHAT HE BLOODY DESERVES !

BULLDOGS !!!!! Remember they were in the hunt for Tedesco and just missed out at the last minute, and let's not forget Knights. So just there there is 3.

Gareth67

First Grade
Love it gareth

I just hope that I can find one for both Russell Packer and Josh Dugan .

Just back to Gareth Widdop , I had always thought that Wollongong , would be a better area for his wife and family to live in and grow in , compared to that of Melbourne .

Beaches and countryside being so close . Plus if your interested in a bit of a bet , there is always Albion Park . What more could a bloke ask for ? I most sincerely hope that Russell Packer feels the same way and he also decides , to continue to raise his own young family , in such a beautiful place .

Duges , also for that matter , however we just don't know which way he will jump at this stage .

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I just hope that I can find one for both Russell Packer and Josh Dugan .

Just back to Gareth Widdop , I had always thought that Wollongong , would be a better area for his wife and family to live in and grow in , compared to that of Melbourne .

Beaches and countryside being so close . Plus if your interested in a bit of a bet , there is always Albion Park . What more could a bloke ask for ? I most sincerely hope that Russell Packer feels the same way and he also decides , to continue to raise his own young family , in such a beautiful place .

Duges , also for that matter , however we just don't know which way he will jump at this stage .

Gareth as you know packer and duges are with the same manager.
There manager want duges done before packer.
To me packer will stay and I'm about 60 / 40 re duges.
Then they can get on with mann and Lafai.
All good mate.

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth as you know packer and duges are with the same manager.
There manager want duges done before packer.
To me packer will stay and I'm about 60 / 40 re duges.
Then they can get on with mann and Lafai.
All good mate.

Hope that they both stay , my preference is Packer as the priority signing , offer the man a good contract both money wise and term . The team requires his toughness and bull like runs , has become the keystone of what promises to be an outstanding forward pack .

Josh's agent has been dragging the chain for far too long , the club should do an ' Ivan Cleary ' on him , and give him a expiry date on negotiations . Just my line of thinking .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
We should simply be doing what the bulldogs are doing . Sign the players we want ( Dugan and Packer ) before we lose them . Then latter in the year work out if or who we need to get rid of to be under the cap .
Your correct. Problem is we have already signed most of the juniors we want to keep which reduces are flexibility. By retaining the players you want to keep going from the top down, you have the flexibility of choosing between juniors/outsiders with less implication on price.

BrissyRedV

Bench

Widdop re-signs with Dragons

Sat 22nd April, 09:30AM

DTV Signing Gareth Widdop
Captain Gareth Widdop has re-signed with the Dragons for a further four seasons.

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced that five-eighth and skipper Gareth Widdop has re-signed for the next four seasons.

Widdop will now remain at the Red V until the end of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The England international has been an integral member of the Dragons since his arrival in 2014, where he became sole captain of the club this season.

Widdop has played 79 games for the Dragons to date, and on Anzac Day against the Sydney Roosters will play his 150th NRL game.

Widdop also recently became the second-highest pointscorer in St George Illawarra history and is now on track to surpass Jamie Soward's record of 977 points.

The 28-year-old was pleased to remain at the Dragons for the next four years.

"The Dragons have grown more and more since I've arrived. There's a good environment here and it's a good place to be so I wanted to play my part in that," Widdop said.

"At this stage of my career it certainly was a big decision for my family. I have three young kids, I'm very settled here in Wollongong and I'm enjoying my time here.

"So while it was a big decision, I'm happy to be staying."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward explained the reasoning behind Widdop's deal.

"We have shown a lot of confidence in Gareth as our long-term leader by offering him a four-year contract," Millward said.

"We were very conscious of creating stability and consistency in our team and we feel we have achieved that with the re-signing of Gareth.

"Gareth's our leader and obviously plays in a vital position so we're over the moon that he has re-signed."
http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/04/22/widdop_re_signs_with.html

BrissyRedV

Bench
So where to from here? The side is looking pretty good for 2018 and in the current player market craziness, looking relatively stable.
2. MacDonald 2019
3. Aitken 2019
6. Widdop (C) 2020
7. Hunt 2021
8. Vaughan 2019
9. McInnes 2018
11. Frizz 2020
12. Thompson 2018
13. JDB 2020
14. Sims 2019
15. LAM 2018
16. Host/Leilua/Sele

MilanDragon

Juniors
So where to from here? The side is looking pretty good for 2018 and in the current player market craziness, looking relatively stable.
2. MacDonald 2019
3. Aitken 2019
6. Widdop (C) 2020
7. Hunt 2021
8. Vaughan 2019
9. McInnes 2018
11. Frizz 2020
12. Thompson 2018
13. JDB 2020
14. Sims 2019
15. LAM 2018
16. Host/Leilua/Sele

We might find that either Lafai/Mann or if rumours to be believed, Gagai go in at 4.

If not Dugan at 1, then potentially Mann, field or Dufty.

Nightingale at 5.

The big ? Is who the other starting prop would be.

As for 17, could be Field/Dufty if he is ready or even one of the other juniors that get mentioned.

BrissyRedV

Bench
We might find that either Lafai/Mann or if rumours to be believed, Gagai go in at 4.

If not Dugan at 1, then potentially Mann, field or Dufty.

Nightingale at 5.

The big ? Is who the other starting prop would be.

As for 17, could be Field/Dufty if he is ready or even one of the other juniors that get mentioned.
Personally, I think the next cab off the rank should be Packer. Maintaining the pack is top priority as they have really led the resurgence of this team and the backs have finally been able to show their class off the back of it. We have a number of options in the backline and we also need to maintain some form of depth. Along with guys you mention, we also have Herbert and Garrick signed up for 2018 with the former pretty close to being ready to make the jump to firsts. Exciting times for us.

possm

Coach
2. MacDonald 2019
6. Widdop (C) 2020
7. Hunt 2021
8. Vaughan 2019
9. McInnes 2018
11. Frizz 2020
12. Thompson 2018
13. JDB 2020
14. Sims 2019
15. LAM 2018
16. Host/Leilua/Sele
17. Aitken 2019
2. MacDonald 2019
3. Aitken 2019
6. Widdop (C) 2020
7. Hunt 2021
8. Vaughan 2019
9. McInnes 2018
11. Frizz 2020
12. Thompson 2018
13. JDB 2020
14. Sims 2019
15. LAM 2018
16. Host/Leilua/Sele
Taking into consideraton what Millward has said abut our roster and the possibility that Mary will not be head coach, I'd be happy with the following:

1. Field
2. MacDonald 2019
3. Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Mann
6. Widdop (C) 2020
7. Hunt 2021
8. Vaughan 2019
9. McInnes 2018
10. Packer
11. Frizz 2020
12. Thompson 2018
13. JDB 2020
14. Sims 2019
15. LAM 2018
16. Host/Leilua/Sele/Kerr
17. Aitken 2019

I imagine we would start the year with Dugan at fullback and Mann or Aitken at 3 however, if Field makes the grade, the above team would be our first choice side for most of 2018.

Latest posts