What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Drakon

Juniors
Well, finally official. Good stuff!

Widdop re-signs with Dragons

Sat 22nd April, 09:30AM

DTV Signing Gareth Widdop
Captain Gareth Widdop has re-signed with the Dragons for a further four seasons.

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced that five-eighth and skipper Gareth Widdop has re-signed for the next four seasons.

Widdop will now remain at the Red V until the end of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The England international has been an integral member of the Dragons since his arrival in 2014, where he became sole captain of the club this season.

Widdop has played 79 games for the Dragons to date, and on Anzac Day against the Sydney Roosters will play his 150th NRL game.

Widdop also recently became the second-highest pointscorer in St George Illawarra history and is now on track to surpass Jamie Soward's record of 977 points.

The 28-year-old was pleased to remain at the Dragons for the next four years.

"The Dragons have grown more and more since I've arrived. There's a good environment here and it's a good place to be so I wanted to play my part in that," Widdop said.

"At this stage of my career it certainly was a big decision for my family. I have three young kids, I'm very settled here in Wollongong and I'm enjoying my time here.

"So while it was a big decision, I'm happy to be staying."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward explained the reasoning behind Widdop's deal.

"We have shown a lot of confidence in Gareth as our long-term leader by offering him a four-year contract," Millward said.

"We were very conscious of creating stability and consistency in our team and we feel we have achieved that with the re-signing of Gareth.

"Gareth's our leader and obviously plays in a vital position so we're over the moon that he has re-signed."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/04/22/widdop_re_signs_with.html

Old Timer

Coach
All those that got the Widdop contract wrong please put up your hand.
All those that panicked about nothing put up your hand.
Stay calm and keep doing whatever it is we are currently doing namely winning games and negotiating because so far so good.

Saintsified

Bench
Widdop has achieved far more in his position than Mary has on his!
Don't agree, Mary did more as a player than Widdop and obviously as a coach so far.....im far from being a Mary coaching fan and wanted him gone, but if he keeps winning then great sign him up, he will only get better and better as a coach...my point is Widdop was just as dissappointing at our club as Mary was, 7 rounds and we changed our tune, well thats fine too, but im saying we need to now change our tune for Mary too, he is the coach and he is the reason they are firing noone else.

Country Dragon

Juniors
Don't agree, Mary did more as a player than Widdop and obviously as a coach so far.....im far from being a Mary coaching fan and wanted him gone, but if he keeps winning then great sign him up, he will only get better and better as a coach...my point is Widdop was just as dissappointing at our club as Mary was, 7 rounds and we changed our tune, well thats fine too, but im saying we need to now change our tune for Mary too, he is the coach and he is the reason they are firing noone else.
As I've already said, Widdop has done more as a player than McGregor has achieved as a coach. How's that?

Gareth67

First Grade
Post on Facebook said Paker has signed, to be announced Wednesday. According to the poster he was told by Packer himself.
Don't know if it's true or not, but this topic has rumours as a topic so dont blame me for posting it

Have just read in the Fox's Sports an interview that was done with big Russell , where he mentions that he is after an extension with the Dragons .
Also said that his family are settled and and very happy living in the Wollongong area .

Which is good to know , now that we understand that he does indeed wish to remain at the Dragons . So hopefully the Joint Venture can offer the man a decent contract and we shall continue to see him in the Big Red V .

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Have just read in the Fox's Sports an interview that was done with big Russell , where he mentions that he is after an extension with the Dragons .
Also said that his family are settled and and very happy living in the Wollongong area .

All appears well , now that we understand that he does indeed wishes to remain at the Dragons . So hopefully the Joint Venture can offer the man a decent contract and we shall continue to see him in the Big Red V .

Sounds good. Russell is a must keep I.M.O.

Bench
Another post on Facebook an announcement on Dugans future will be announced this week. Source is supposed to be a director from another club. Take it for what's its worth

Latest posts