What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonga v Fiji at Campbelltown

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Should be a good contest this.

I have had a shot at a possible Tongan squad before City/Country strips a number of players. Fiji will be impacted by this too.

1. William Hopoate
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (if not picked by NZ)
3. Michael Jennings
4. Konrad Hurrell
5. David Fusitua
6. Tui Lolohea
7. Ata Hingano
8. Leilani Latu
9. Sione Katoa
10.Andrew Fifita
11.Manu Mau (if not picked by NZ)
12.Felise Kaufasi
13.Sio Siua Taukeiaho

14.Sitaleki Akauola 15. Addin Fonua-Blake 16. Siosaia Vave 17.Solomone Kata

18. Daniel Tupou 19. Patrick Kaufusi 20. Joe Ofahengaue 21. Peni Terepo 22. Siosifa Talakai 23. Jorge Taufua

stormbati

Bench
The Tongan side going by recent articles will be star studded.
Tonga could lose Fifita, Jennings, Hopoate and possibly Fonua-Blake to City v Country.
Fiji will most probably lose Campbell-Gillard and Tariq Sims, possibly Waqa Blake, Kane Evans and Uate.
Will be shithouse if they do and will rob the fans of a spectacle for a nothing game.

jim_57

Staff member
Why does city-country still take precedence over the pacific tests selection wise when with the new rules NSW can pick any eligible players that play for the pacific sides?

Samoa V England and this game will probably be of a higher standard anyway.

Clarkent

Juniors
Thank God it's the last year of city vs country... it's ruining the international game... that Tongan team looks strong as and so will all the other island nation...

adamkungl

Immortal
Is there any suggestion players will actually choose CvC over this?

I saw one story saying Tonga were gonna line up Fifita, Jennings, Tupou, Hopoate - all eligible for City

Clarkent

Juniors
Well find out on Sunday when they name the team... players have been known in the past to pick cvc over there island nation...

jim_57

Staff member
Look at it from a NSW perspective, you want give a few players a run to test their rep credentials, would you rather give them a run in a depleted CvC game or a game against England or in a fiery test between 2 pacific nations..

I know what my choice would be, but Daley would probably take the nostalgic angle.

If Pacific players all opted out of CvC as well as the NRL allowing Des to get his way (ridiculous) you could almost scrap the whole game, so I dare say the NRL/NSW will "persuade" Pacific players to play CvC to try keep it somewhat relevant.

Last edited:

Matterhorn

Juniors
I may sound like a broken record but I still don't like players switching from aus/nz back to an island nation and vise versa multiple times in there playing careers.

I can accept a young player starting out playing for an island nation then playing for Australia and then eventually if his aus rep is over switch back to that nation

But you could get a players Rep Nations caps in order looking like this

tonga,tonga,Australia,Australia,tonga,Australia,Australia,australia,tonga,tonga,tonga,Australia,tonga,tonga,tonga,tonga,tonga..........

Coastbloke

Bench
Four locals will be in the Fiji squad...

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=398258

Meanwhile, four local players have been included in the Fiji Bati to face Tonga in Australia next week.

Brothers Mosese and Etuate Qionimacawa will join Pio Seci and Jiowasa Drodrolagi as they are scheduled to depart the country next week and will be joined by the overseas-based players in Australia.

Etuate who plays for Nadera Panthers played last year against PNG and scored 3 tries..!! Who says the locals aren't good enough.. :relaxed:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
http://m.nrl.com/samoa-and-tonga-squads-announced/tabid/10874/newsid/106195/default.aspx

Mate Ma' Tonga Squad
1. Will Hopoate – Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
2. Daniel Tupou – Sydney Roosters
3. Brenko Lee - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
4. Michael Jennings – Parramatta Eels
5. Jorge Taufua – Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
6. Tuimoala Lolohea – New Zealand Warriors
7. Ata Hingano – New Zealand Warriors
8. Andrew Fifita – Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
9. Siliva Havili – St George Illawarra Dragons
10. Leilani Latu – Penrith Panthers
11. Sika Manu (c) - Hull FC
12. Felise Kaufusi – Melbourne Storm
13. Sio Siua Taukeiaho – Sydney Roosters
14. Sione Katoa – Penrith Panthers
15. Joe Ofahengaue – Brisbane Broncos
16. Siosaia Vave – Parramatta Eels
17. Addin Fonua-Blake – Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
18. Samisoni Langi – Penrith Panthers
19. Patrick Kaufusi – North Queensland Cowboys
20. Leivaha Pulu – Gold Coast Titans
21. Sione Vea – Tongan Rugby League

As I mentioned in the Samoa v England thread. International RL has been prioritised over City/Country with the likes of Jennings and Fifita playing for Tonga.

This should mean Evans, T.Sims, Blake and RCG will play for Fiji.

Clarkent

Juniors
That's a very strong Tonga team?
To me that's the strongest Tongan team they've had in years... there halves is the strongest in years... where tonga and most island teams lacked... hingano is one of the up and coming halves in the nrl... lolohea has been a bit quiet this year but hopefully he'll come right... and a star studded backline with Andrew fifita leading the forward pack