What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desperate times call for desperate measures!!!!!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Sam didn't play well on Friday night but the only forward who did play well was Tom Burgess. The rest of them had errors, missed tackles, silly penalties. It was classic 2015 south Sydney. I still believe we need Sam to push for any sort of finals chance because I haven't seen another lock that is better than him this year. Maybe jack de belin but he's due for a massive pay rise next year. Paul Gallen is the form lock of the year but he's near retirement. My question to you Diego is who do you buy?

DiegoNT

First Grade
Sam didn't play well on Friday night but the only forward who did play well was Tom Burgess. The rest of them had errors, missed tackles, silly penalties. It was classic 2015 south Sydney. I still believe we need Sam to push for any sort of finals chance because I haven't seen another lock that is better than him this year. Maybe jack de belin but he's due for a massive pay rise next year. Paul Gallen is the form lock of the year but he's near retirement. My question to you Diego is who do you buy?
Mcguire, Jtrbo, gallen, taumololo, de belin, Klemmer. That's 6 locks right having a better 2017 so far then Sam. All have a similar workloads but are having far greater impacts for their nba team.
The question of who to replace Sam is tricky. If you get rid of Sam can you get rid of the twins as well. In that hypothetical there's. So much you can do. To replace Sam I'd go for Bukuya. Hard, experienced, always performs. He is back up to gallen and even though gallen is great, they don't miss a beat when bukuya fills in. Now it may sound crazy so far, Bukuya is no where near as good as sam and you're right, but it also gives us way more options as bukuya could be had at a fraction of the price. With George gone and Graham seemingly on his way out at the doggies you'd go for a straight swap. That leaves Tom. So many props would be on a comparable wage to Tom. Guys like Blair or Packer who could be forced out of the dragons with so many players getting upgrades recently. I'd try packer. That leaves a bit left over from Sams huge wage to pick up 1 more player. It wouldn't be enough to get a starter put you could pick up a decent middle forward who isn't getting much game time right now. Maybe a paasi or a kane evans.
Now this is pure fantasy and there's no way you'd get those 4 because negotiations are tricky and you never know what players want. But it shows the possibilities of what could happen if we took off our 'burgess is the only way' glasses. You'd replace 3 good players with 4. And because those 4 players aren't connected they don't have an influence. When 1 is performing badly it won't effect the others. With the burgii when 1 has a bad game, especially with the twins, the other seem to perform under par to. You can't drop, threaten to sack etc one burgii without affecting the other. None of the 4 i mentioned are as good as sam (although I'd argue Graham is) but that pack would be better then our burgii fillled pack.

Packer- Go forward and agression
Farah- hooker
Graham- does everything
Chricton- so much promise
Turner- Hard Worker
Bukuya- Solid middle presence

Sutton- A great bench utility
Clark- solid replacement
Musgrove- young goer 1
Evans- young goer 2.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Mcguire, Jtrbo, gallen, taumololo, de belin, Klemmer. That's 6 locks right having a better 2017 so far then Sam. All have a similar workloads but are having far greater impacts for their nba team.
The question of who to replace Sam is tricky. If you get rid of Sam can you get rid of the twins as well. In that hypothetical there's. So much you can do. To replace Sam I'd go for Bukuya. Hard, experienced, always performs. He is back up to gallen and even though gallen is great, they don't miss a beat when bukuya fills in. Now it may sound crazy so far, Bukuya is no where near as good as sam and you're right, but it also gives us way more options as bukuya could be had at a fraction of the price. With George gone and Graham seemingly on his way out at the doggies you'd go for a straight swap. That leaves Tom. So many props would be on a comparable wage to Tom. Guys like Blair or Packer who could be forced out of the dragons with so many players getting upgrades recently. I'd try packer. That leaves a bit left over from Sams huge wage to pick up 1 more player. It wouldn't be enough to get a starter put you could pick up a decent middle forward who isn't getting much game time right now. Maybe a paasi or a kane evans.
Now this is pure fantasy and there's no way you'd get those 4 because negotiations are tricky and you never know what players want. But it shows the possibilities of what could happen if we took off our 'burgess is the only way' glasses. You'd replace 3 good players with 4. And because those 4 players aren't connected they don't have an influence. When 1 is performing badly it won't effect the others. With the burgii when 1 has a bad game, especially with the twins, the other seem to perform under par to. You can't drop, threaten to sack etc one burgii without affecting the other. None of the 4 i mentioned are as good as sam (although I'd argue Graham is) but that pack would be better then our burgii fillled pack.

Packer- Go forward and agression
Farah- hooker
Graham- does everything
Chricton- so much promise
Turner- Hard Worker
Bukuya- Solid middle presence

Sutton- A great bench utility
Clark- solid replacement
Musgrove- young goer 1
Evans- young goer 2.

I like it. I still feel as if that pack would look so much better with Sam Burgess in it though. If you have graham, surgess and turner as middle forwards not many people are gonna get through that? I'm not sure that turner is a second rower though. He seems to be a better lock. To me packer, Evans, Sutton are all questionable however. Sutton is near retirement, Evans seems to be inconsistent and packer doesn't really seem like he'd come to Souths. I think fuimaono has to play first grade sooner rather than later. If I rearrange the squad so it's

8. Surgess
9. Farah
10. Graham
11. Fuimaono
12. Crichton
13. Turner

14. Bukuya
15. Clark
16. Musgrove
17. Evans/packer?

Does this look unrealistic I don't know?

greg jay

Juniors
Look Sam is strong and athletic. Good size. Tough and rugged. Fights for The Jersey. We get all that. BUT he does NOT turn games around nor does he CONSISTENTLY inspire or lead the team to win games. In terms of skill he is very limited and fumbles the ball regularly. He like George and Tom are TURNOVER MACHINES. Even in attacking positions. We must also note that Sam does NOT have the added physical strain of SOO clashes unlike Smith Cronk Slater Boyd Thurston and even Gallen who play these 3 games EVERY SEASON!!! The team is 3-6 and SINKING. I cannot imagine the other players mentioned above being in a team in such a hole and doing almost nothing to stop it and turn it around.

greg jay

Juniors
Sam has no help u cant win a game by yourself as i said u have no idea
Listen pal you keep cheering for Sam and The Clan and Maguire and Inglis. Go ahead keep cheering for them. We shall see as the BELTINGS PILE UP who is clueless ok? Let the outcomes determine the narrative and who has "no idea". On verra.

greg jay

Juniors
And who's fault is that?
We signed sam so deep into the 2015-2016 off season that not only did we have to get rid of players that could help him out, we actually payed part of their wages to let them go. It was a part of the 'Sam at all costs' mentality we had at the time. We stripped our pack back bare to accommodate Sam. If Sam had made the decision to come back earlier in 2015 so we had time to adjust our 2016 roster accordingly, or said he'd come back in 2017 so we could have planned it out easier there wouldn't be as many problems. But 'we had to have sam' straight away. The other 2 high paid forwards in our pack, who have under performed severely, can't be touched as they are Sams brothers. It's a chicken and egg situation. Sam has no help, but there isn't room for help because of the burgii
Diego - I agree 100% with your position re The Burgess Clan. 100%. The EXCHANGE VALUE Salary cap wise is huge for Sam Burgess. Huge. His departure could equal 2-3 good players say 2 good outside backs and a good forward. Just imagine: a nice ball playing forward and TWO shifty outside backs. What a DIFFERENCE that would make!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well the other players in the team would have a similar winning percentage over that time. Are they all "losers" too??? Silly argument! You can't win games if your middle forwards aren't going well and he usually makes a lot of metres and a lot of tackles, so he usually does his part in the team's victories!
That's sense doesn't belong here.

It's to my understanding Sam is on 800k out of the cap.

I'm happy with that actually.

GI taking a million I'm not happy with. He should've taken a pay cut to 750k imo.

The Burgi twins need to pull their finger out ASAP or go.

Rabbits20

Immortal
turner dud
clark dud
ile take evans over packer.....
but cook has to be no9

Shadow....
Correctamundo.

We can't keep persisting with Turner and Clark.

They want Sam out, that's just stupid thinking imo. Cut him out and we get pumped even more Shadow!!!!!

Maybe they want us to drop even further????

I can't see us getting Graham either Shadow. Dogs won't let him go just like we won't let Sam go.

Oh but but........... Sam is the problem............ it's mainly his fault they say!!!!

alien

Referee

GI taking a million I'm not happy with. He should've taken a pay cut to 750k imo.

I'd be fine with GI playing elsewhere, as long as we wouldn't have to pay him to play anywhere else. Same as George (he gets suspended too much)! That would give us around $1.6 million more to spend under the cap. Keep Sam and Tom as middle forwards, along with Musgrove. Maybe keep Cherrington and play him off the interchange as a part of the prop rotation (but we need to see him in first grade more so we know if he can handle it or not). We would need another prop to replace George.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'd be fine with GI playing elsewhere, as long as we wouldn't have to pay him to play anywhere else. Same as George (he gets suspended too much)! That would give us around $1.6 million more to spend under the cap. Keep Sam and Tom as middle forwards, along with Musgrove. Maybe keep Cherrington and play him off the interchange as a part of the prop rotation (but we need to see him in first grade more so we know if he can handle it or not). We would need another prop to replace George.
I don't think any other club would pay GI the 1 million.

Can't see another club paying 600k for George. No other club would pay him more than 400k.

Remember the cap is going up so if our recruitment wakes up we can get a couple of very good signings.

There are no doubt a couple of good cheap buys out there too.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'm fine with Clark on the interchange. Maybe keep Turner, but only as a backup player and not too much more than the NRL minimum wage.
We need more punch off the interchange and more power.

Tell Clark to go and sign up Paterika Vaiavai.

alien

Referee
We need more punch off the interchange and more power.
I know! I want 3 big forwards on the interchange, plus Clark (who can play any position in the forwards). I'm not really a fan of having a hooker on the interchange, and I know Clark can play hooker if the starting hooker gets injured during the game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I know! I want 3 big forwards on the interchange, plus Clark (who can play any position in the forwards). I'm not really a fan of having a hooker on the interchange, and I know Clark can play hooker if the starting hooker gets injured during the game.
Maybe Farah has to go then.

I see Cook as our future hooker and not Farah.

If we had 3 big forwards on the bench and then Clark or Turner as the 4th then I could live with that.

Clark and Turner though should not be in the starting line ups. Surely you can see this alien????

I wouldn't keep having both in the side either if we keep Clark. It's got to be one or the other.

greg jay

Juniors

I heard/read Sam is on close to a million Sovs i.e UK POUNDS per annum. That is what he apparently demanded to return. Its because of Sam Inglis George Tom and Reynolds - the FIVE KEY players on the roster - absorbing so much of The Cap that Smiths Crisps cannot buy any good players. They can only import DUDS as The Shadow calls them. If fans continue being OBEDIENT about the Status Quo then go ahead get used to living through many more BELTINGS. That is the stark reality. The only alternative to shredding these players is to FIRST offload Maguire. These players MAY show some life with a new Head Coach. They MAY cannot be sure though especially given Inglis's increasing penchant for injuries and breakdowns.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
Maybe Farah has to go then.

I see Cook as our future hooker and not Farah.

If we had 3 big forwards on the bench and then Clark or Turner as the 4th then I could live with that.

Clark and Turner though should not be in the starting line ups. Surely you can see this alien????

I wouldn't keep having both in the side either if we keep Clark. It's got to be one or the other.

i wish clark and turner left souths forever FACT.....BOTH ARE DUDS....Shadow...

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
they are shiiiit forwards go play in a broncos top 17 lol lol lol lol ha ha ha bennett aint that dumb fug me r20 if these 2 duds clark/turner remain we wont be in a final mate FACTAFUGGINMUNDO!!!! BUT THE DUMMIES CANT SEE IT...Shadow...

Latest posts