What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is a Rabbitoh?

Travitoh

First Grade
I've already gotten an answer but thought it'd be interesting to see if anybody knows

DiegoNT

First Grade
I've been told 2 different versions, one from my father and one from my grandfather. I believe my grandfather, who grew up in south sydney during the 30s is considered the official version. Be i interesting if our british friend's in here had a clue

callmack1

Staff member
Aren't we called Rabbitohs because way back just used to stand on the streets selling rabbits? They used to yell "Rabbit, oh!" Those guys played for Souths hence the name.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Travitoh

First Grade
I've been told 2 different versions, one from my father and one from my grandfather. I believe my grandfather, who grew up in south sydney during the 30s is considered the official version. Be i interesting if our british friend's in here had a clue

What were they?

Curns13

Juniors
Pretty sure its because of the Redfern rabbit factory back in early 1900s. Most of the members of our club worked at the factory and were called 'rabbitohs'. Like the Illawarra Steelers, right?

Pommy

Coach

The players used to sell rabbits pre match to earn some extra coin Rabbitoh was their cry.
Or so I've always been told.

Travitoh

First Grade
I'd never really thought about it but just assumed it was a male rabbit or related to breed.

A rabbitoh is a person who sells rabbits as food.
I wasn't aware of the history in relation to Souths, learn something new everyday!

alien

Referee
A rabbitoh is someone who used to set traps/catch rabbits, skin them, and sell their meat at markets, but I've also been told by someone who used to see them that some walked the streets and yelled out "rabbitoh/rabbito", just like "milko", and those people who wanted to buy the meat would come out of their homes and buy it. I guess a lot of people were poor back then and it was cheap meat.

southsport

First Grade
I read that it was because some of the players sold rabbits around the streets.

Interesting that I think Souths logo is the only one in the NRL with real history associated with it.

Rabbit was a cheap meat but very common.

The nickname arose as it was actually a slur from opposition supporters because the players would sell rabbits.

I dont believe we called ourselves Rabbitohs first but adopted it as a badge of honour and an up yours.

Interesting that I think Souths logo is the only one in the NRL with real history associated with it.

The bears logo was a supermarket sponsoship which eventually ended but the bears name stuck.

typicalfan

Coach
The added context is that the Australian Rugby team were called the Rabbits at the time. I think when you add the name Rabbitoh as a breakaway club at the inception of rugby league, I think its easy to understand why they have the name.

typicalfan

Coach
I dont think so officially but I think the nicknames origins are early on. Thats how the story goes of how I was told.

South Sydney was always a strong community based side, still are so I wouldnt be surprised if it was a nickname originally created by locals

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

Only one with real history? The tiger evolved from the Blackwattle colours around Balmain in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

How about the eels?

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
Rabbit was a cheap meat but very common.

The nickname arose as it was actually a slur from opposition supporters because the players would sell rabbits.

I dont believe we called ourselves Rabbitohs first but adopted it as a badge of honour and an up yours.

That makes sense and is most likely correct.

Inkers75

Juniors
As a Rhinos/Souths fan I have found this thread most interesting in learning about the history of the club.

If anyone has a weblink with more info it would be much apprciated.

Latest posts