What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is a Rabbitoh?

DiegoNT

First Grade
Tigers nickname obviously came from their jumpers, but i believe their colours came from famous rower from the area who competed in those colours.

Roosters nickname i believe is a homage to the famous french touring teams who wore similar jumpers.

Cowboys where picked as north queensland is cattle country.

Gold coast were to be called the dolphins but got legal action threatened by Redcliff. The titans came from a last minute public vote.

Brisbane went over to Denver to get information on how to run a succesful football team. They got so much inspiration they ended up stealing their name as well

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Tigers nickname obviously came from their jumpers, but i believe their colours came from famous rower from the area who competed in those colours.

Roosters nickname i believe is a homage to the famous french touring teams who wore similar jumpers.

Cowboys where picked as north queensland is cattle country.

Gold coast were to be called the dolphins but got legal action threatened by Redcliff. The titans came from a last minute public vote.

Brisbane went over to Denver to get information on how to run a succesful football team. They got so much inspiration they ended up stealing their name as well

And they got it from the blackwattle trees that lined the harbour at the time.
They went by the name 'the watersiders'

OVP

Coach

Not quite. We were originally the tricolours in homage to the French, but changed it to the Rooster in homage to what i posted above.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Not quite. We were originally the tricolours in homage to the French, but changed it to the Rooster in homage to what i posted above.
I always assumed that the rooster symbol was taken of the french as well

OVP

Coach
I always assumed that the rooster symbol was taken of the french as well

You could be right actually. I might have to research that one a bit more when I'm not so lazy. I always get lazy after a big win :D

rabbitohs95

Bench
Broncos = From Denver NFL team

Bulldogs = Public vote

Raiders = Public vote

Sharks = Public vote?

Titans = Public vote

Storm = Rejected Mavericks as it sounded too American, went with Storm considering Melbourne's weather

Sea Eagles = Apparently a lot of Sea Eagles around the northern beaches

Cowboys = Cattle country in North QLD

Warriors = Homage to Maōri warriors in history

Knights = I can only assume because of alliteration and the fact Newy is a steel city and knights wear steel armour?

Eels = Parramatta means 'where eels live' in local Aboriginal language

Panthers = Unsure but I'd assume public vote and alliteration purposes

Rabbitohs = Players used to sell rabbits for a living and would call out rabbitoh to get customers

Dragons = St George reference, used to be known as Dragon Slayers and then shortened to Dragons

Roosters = French touring team in 1966/67 had le coq sportif as their jersey manufacturer I believe

Tigers = Blackwattle trees and the jersey design

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Lol, they did once upon a time, that's what I am saying, it's history not just a logo.
And other clubs can point to the past as well to cite the origin of the names or colours.

South's aren't unique in this regard. It feels special to you. Fans of the other 15 clubs just don't really care.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
No, Souths ARE unique in this regard.
The eels name comes from indigenous history that predates south's by thousands of years. South's fans seem to think the club is somehow more special than all the rest.

Nobody else does, so that's not really all that true.

southsport

First Grade
The eels name comes from indigenous history that predates south's by thousands of years. South's fans seem to think the club is somehow more special than all the rest.

Nobody else does, so that's not really all that true.

Yes but the indigenous people didn't play for parra.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Yes but the indigenous people didn't play for parra.

You think what now?

Beetson80.jpg