What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Chambers to sign w Roosters! Gagai still available

SaintPauli

Juniors
I keep saying it. The Roarters are the brown paper bag kings. Just look at their board. They could by the NRL. Maybe already happened......

getsmarty

Immortal
Im dumbfounded and just dont know how they do it but the roosters keep signing quality players...good news is that Gagai is still free - we desperately need a strike centre that can defend on the right side as witnessed tonite...

https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/th...ked-a-deal-with-the-roosters?station=brisbane

Come on Mickey..we all know how they do it...unlimited Third Party payment's... The Nrl need to be fair dinkum about this...The Same clubs always getting the players they want..Dogs/Broncos/Roosters. It hasn't been a fair playing field for a long time.

hazzbeen

Bench
Come on Mickey..we all know how they do it...unlimited Third Party payment's... The Nrl need to be fair dinkum about this...The Same clubs always getting the players they want..Dogs/Broncos/Rosters. It hasn't been a fair playing field for a long time.
This exactly , this is why we will never keep players we want if we dont smarten up and follow suite . If the NRL keep turning a blind eye to these teams then maybe we have to rort the system as they do ......

possm

Coach
There is a very easy fix. Have all first grade players and a number of second teir players, contracted to the NRL Clubs rent the players on a two year basis from the NRL. Clubs have a rental cap. The rental price is set by the NRL. When a player becomes available, clubs can bid for his services but only bid in the form of rent to the NRL.

No club payments to players, only rental payments to the NRL.

Dragons 09

Juniors
There is a very easy fix. Have all first grade players and a number of second teir players, contracted to the NRL Clubs rent the players on a two year basis from the NRL. Clubs have a rental cap. The rental price is set by the NRL. When a player becomes available, clubs can bid for his services but only bid in the form of rent to the NRL.

Wait, What? No TPA's?o_O

Gareth67

First Grade

Mate , with respect , but what the fook ? ? ? The rorter clubs would have a field-day , they would be in Heaven .

They would simply donate those little brown paper bags to the ' rental office ' , to ensure that they got ' pick of the crop ' and the poorer clubs will have what was remaining , the dregs .

Possum , I admire the fact that you continue to attempt in finding a solution to this problem , however I don't believe that this would be the answer in this instance . :panda_face:

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Mate , with respect , but what the fook ? ? ? The rorter clubs would have a field-day , they would be in Heaven .

They would simply donate those little brown paper bags to the ' rental office ' , to ensure that they got ' pick of the crop ' and the poorer clubs will have what was remaining , the dregs .

Possum , I admire the fact that you continue to find a solution to this problem , however I don't believe that this would be the answer in this instance . :panda_face:
I received similar words from Doust, even though this would be a small step forward in levelling the playing field.

If a similar scheme was introduced, an NRL committee could be formed consisting of a representative of each club. Such a committee would give individual members the ability to raise any issues of impropriety. This together with a very heavy fine for guilty player and Club along with the loss of points for the current year and the following year, should make most clubs think twice about under-the-table payments.

Gareth67

First Grade
I received similar words from Doust, even though this would be a small step forward in levelling the playing field.

If a similar scheme was introduced, an NRL committee could be formed consisting of a representative of each club. Such a committee would give individual members the ability to raise any issues of impropriety. This together with a very heavy fine for guilty player and Club along with the loss of points for the current year and the following year, should make most clubs think twice about under-the-table payments.

I certainly like the idea of the loss of competition points and heavy fines . One would think that would be enough to have any club thinking of rorting the system , to think twice .

Unfortunately , imo , there are too many board members of the individual clubs , whom are also are affiliated with the NRL in some way .

These individuals wish to ensure that the needs of their own clubs are taken care of first and foremost . Quite simply , imo , such people have no right to be holding any position on the NRL .

They must have no allegiance to any one particular club , except to the NRL itself and for the overall good of the game . Rugby league requires men with the skill and integrity , such as the late Bill Buckley and Kevin Humpreys , to once again make this game great .

Last edited:

The calm one

Juniors
I honestly think it is time for a draft. It has worked in the AFL for years. It might not be the answer that some clubs want to hear and there will still be problems if/when it is implemented. Something HAS to be done or at least an attempt to fix the current situation. Do nothing and there will be six clubs left in ten years time

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Still think the best way is a point system, each player is ranked with a point, eg, Aust Rep 10 points, SOO 9 points, 150games player 6points etc, each club is allowed 200 points for the whole squad ,you can give discounts to juniors and if a player for example signs a 4 year deal and is worth 3 points and plays for Aust in the 1st year he is still classified for the remainder of his contract with 3 points, that stops you from losing him as you have developed him, that way its visible and you cant stockpile players....

*Point System will need to be worked out, i just gave out random numbers...

possm

Coach
I honestly think it is time for a draft. It has worked in the AFL for years. It might not be the answer that some clubs want to hear and there will still be problems if/when it is implemented. Something HAS to be done or at least an attempt to fix the current situation. Do nothing and there will be six clubs left in ten years time
The NRL don't want a draft.
The cheating rich clubs don't want a draft.
The players don't want a draft.
The player managers don't want a draft.
The ARL tried to introduce a draft years ago and lost the legal battle to do so.

possm

Coach
Still think the best way is a point system, each player is ranked with a point, eg, Aust Rep 10 points, SOO 9 points, 150games player 6points etc, each club is allowed 200 points for the whole squad ,you can give discounts to juniors and if a player for example signs a 4 year deal and is worth 3 points and plays for Aust in the 1st year he is still classified for the remainder of his contract with 3 points, that stops you from losing him as you have developed him, that way its visible and you cant stockpile players....

*Point System will need to be worked out, i just gave out random numbers...
Good idea!
I also like the transfer payment system, where the losing club receives a transfer fee equal to the value of the average annual salary. In this way clubs who lose players they have developed will be compensated. All transfer fees will come under the cap which would also encourage clubs to let go a few valuable players each season to keep under the cap.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
It's looking like Souths have tabled a substantial offer to Gagai for next season (700k a year).

If we lose Dugan and we're serious about looking at him, we're gonna have to make a move soon.