What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millward Recruitment and Retention Update

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Dragons looking like they will rely on their up and coming juniors in Dufty/Field. Field is killing it in the Juniors and is a standout. 1 of the best going around in the country. I can understand why Duges was offered 3. If Field kills it which I am sure he will, clubs will be chasing his signature and Saints will have their hands tied on an ageing Dugan. If Field and Dufty end up being guns next year you will be praising Millward. He is taking a punt but 1 worth taking imo.

The problem is not Millward, it is Dugan for expecting heaps of dollars from a club that resurrected his career. TO go to the Sharks for 100k or so more is sad. I suppose that 2.4mil he got the 3 years before not good enough for him. Good riddance.

I am sure De Belin, Frizell, Thomo and even Vaughn would get more out there but they are staying on less to be part of this great club. They are the players you want not guys chasing coin like Merrin,BMoz, Packer and now Dugan.

One of the greatest Mangers in the soccer (Jurgen Klopp from Liverpool) has always said. As soon a player starts thinking about staying or going over money, he loses interest in keeping them.

possm

Coach
Millward & Mary aren't on the same Bus and there lies the problem! One's on a JetSki & the others on a pathway on his scooter. FMD
Hence the problem with the new structure. Millward should report to Mary and Mary to the football committee who will make the final recommendations to the Board. Mary needs to own selection and development decisions.

I know it is hard with Mary not being fully up to the job. Selection management and development of our young guns comes second to his aspirations to have his contract extended.

I say change the structure and make Millward report to the head coch, then announce our new coach for 2018 which will take away Mary's problem of developing young guns.

John moz

Juniors
Millward and mary it has taken 6 months to sign packer and dugan they should hop on the bus and piss off .Letting it get to this they should have the cash to up dugans contact after letting packer go.

Bench
I wonder if Millward is sending out a message to Mary that he picks the players. After all Mary wanted Dugan as a fullback and Millward says he is a centre.
Is Millward flexing his muscle with Doust.

possm

Coach
Dugan is the bottleneck and our Club needs to throw down the gauntlet- sign for us or go.
Set the deadline then remove the offer and look elsewhere.
It happened with Rein and Marshall and they went well....
Enough of this rubbish...
It's all too late, done and dusted. Should have been sorted last November. Now it's time to move on and try for something better. Hold the Croownie order Doust, Hayne wants a chunk of that cash and so does Asofa.

What! We're 100k short, give back that 100k bonus Millward, you caused us a lot of trouble and embarrassment.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Never read so much whingeing in my life! Bunch of never-did-anythings complaining because some players are leaving. Well heres some news, every other club has the same issue. Parramatta have dudded out in successive years with Sandow, Hayne, Foran and next year Radrada. Tigers have retained one of their big four. Broncos didnt want to lose Hunt. Sharkies dont want to lose Bird. Cowboys are spewing because Ponga will leave. The only clubs this doesnt happen to are the ones that rort the salary cap. Two weeks ago many were saying dont offer Duges more than $800k. Now people are complaining that he might leave for $1M and somehow thats Millwards fault. Packer gets offered overs by a team cashed up on account of everyone else leaving and thats Millwards fault. Everyone complains that we have no halfback so Millward bought one for next year but its still his fault.

I give up. I think I'll go kick the dog.

Simon

Juniors
Never read so much whingeing in my life! Bunch of never-did-anythings complaining because some players are leaving. Well heres some news, every other club has the same issue. Parramatta have dudded out in successive years with Sandow, Hayne, Foran and next year Radrada. Tigers have retained one of their big four. Broncos didnt want to lose Hunt. Sharkies dont want to lose Bird. Cowboys are spewing because Ponga will leave. The only clubs this doesnt happen to are the ones that rort the salary cap. Two weeks ago many were saying dont offer Duges more than $800k. Now people are complaining that he might leave for $1M and somehow thats Millwards fault. Packer gets offered overs by a team cashed up on account of everyone else leaving and thats Millwards fault. Everyone complains that we have no halfback so Millward bought one for next year but its still his fault.

Exactly with you on this one. Blame is easy to fire at individuals and extremely common.

It seems we lost both Packer and Dugan as they wanted 4 year deals and we only offered 3. The same people complaining now would of been complaining in 3 years time if we lost juniors due to no pathway into first grade. We already have Hunt, Widdop and Vaughan on long deals from next season. We can't and shouldn't have all our cap spent for the next 4 years. We need to be able to adapt if required.

red rocket

Juniors

Spot on if we pay overs to certain players on 4 year deals we will end up in the same situation as the price years I think Millward is doing a fine job the salary cap must balance and you can't go putting all your eggs in the one basket relying on injury prone players that hold you to ransom

dragon thomo

Juniors
Dugan needs to pullhis head in , it was the dragons picking him up when no one else wanted him. If he goes so be it $800 000 should be our last offer take it or bugger off.

Its funny both Packer and Dugan got a life line from the club and one has gone looks like the other will follow.

The Dragons made offers to both and i guess it just wasn't enough.

The next step is to start looking at who is still off contract at the club and sign them.

Lafai and Mann are next.

Saintsified

Bench

rasaint

Juniors
The best opportunity the club has for future success is to let Josh go. He is a relatively good player with this sort of mystique based on his look and prodigious form from his late teens and early 20s. I have consistently said he is paid way overs. He plays solid or good games and people talk it up as though it's amazing. I saw Nene MCD score an amazing individual try against Easts and hardly a mention on the forum. If Josh scored it then it would be folklore the next decade.

For clarity I like Josh and would be happy for him to be signed on good money say $600 to $700 k tops. Please not a $800k +, we would be crippled for years.

j0nesy

Bench
Millward's got it spot on focussing on a few "marquee players" and then building a team around them from local talent. It's the right strategy for us as we can't compete with the TPA's being facilitated by other clubs. It does mean we will lose the odd good players here or there (all clubs do though).

Latest posts