What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis in a Mental Health Clinic

Pommy

Coach
Hope he gets better soon.

It will be interesting to see what peoples reactions are considering how harsh they were on certain others.

themacemaceman

Juniors
I wonder why the club feels the need to make a media statement about this?
I guess it's to beat speculation etc from other media sources.
As a player I'm not sure how I would feel about this.

Let's hope G.I gets the help he needs.

Pommy

Coach
I wonder why the club feels the need to make a media statement about this?
I guess it's to beat speculation etc from other media sources.
As a player I'm not sure how I would feel about this.

Let's hope G.I gets the help he needs.

He is in the public spotlight you cant keep secrets, the club hasn't gone in to details they have just stated facts. I imagine it was done with his blessing.

callmack1

Staff member
Just goes to show that even the absolute champions suffer from this. I wish him all the best as I'm sure everyone else does.

It sounds like he admitted him self into the facility so I applaud him for that as it can't be an easy thing to do.

Here's a quote from news.com.au about what Paul Kent has said.

News Corp’s Paul Kent says Inglis is in the second week of a three-week program at the facility.

“It’s a personal issue and my understanding is there’s nothing else surrounding this, nothing untoward we need to be concerned about,” Kent said on NRL 360. “He’s basically suffering depression, he’ll be there for three weeks.

“This is just a guy who needs our support, he doesn’t need anyone to bring him down in any way, there’s nothing sinister behind it, it’s just a matter of a guy getting the help he needs.”

While it's not good news, it is good to here there's nothing sinister behind it. Like I said I wish him all the best and we'll see him back bigger and better next year. Champions always bounce back.

JetRider

Juniors
Was also mentioned on Fox tonight went in for a day last week and now receiving treatment. Hope he is able to get the help he needs and is back with his family soon.

greg jay

Juniors
Quit worrying. Its probably much addo about nada. From my understanding ACL surgery requires up to 8 weeks just laying in bed waiting for the ligaments to consolidate. Its quite serious stuff. You cannot do diddly squat. Then its weeks later before a guy can even jog. This all takes several months. Then there is the painful and ardous rehab which you must be committed to and which needs a disciplined programmed schedule. Inglis is a large man used to moving around so for him it would be depressing just laying and reading, watching screens etc. He just has to fight through it and let the physios and others set a recovery program for him.

themacemaceman

Juniors
He is in the public spotlight you cant keep secrets, the club hasn't gone in to details they have just stated facts. I imagine it was done with his blessing.
I just seems acceptable in modern society for the media to report on celebrity divorces, celebrity mental health issues etc.
Does the public really need to know about Brad Pitt and Angolinas divorce or Grant Hacketts meltdown etc.
Let these people who are all having one of the toughest times of their life do it in private.
The media needs to have a long hard look at themselves and maybe come up with some sort of code of ethics.

Pommy

Coach
I just seems acceptable in modern society for the media to report on celebrity divorces, celebrity mental health issues etc.
Does the public really need to know about Brad Pitt and Angolinas divorce or Grant Hacketts meltdown etc.
Let these people who are all having one of the toughest times of their life do it in private.
The media needs to have a long hard look at themselves and maybe come up with some sort of code of ethics.

The problem is there is no such thing as 'the media'
The media today is anyone with a laptop and internet access. If it's not reported by the mainstream media someone else will.
Look at the lengths the MOD went to hide Prince Harry was on tour in Afghanistan, the MSM were all promised access to him if they kept quiet and they did. Then some Aussie hack went and ruined it and he had to come home.
You can't control news in 2017.

Travitoh

First Grade
Quit worrying. Its probably much addo about nada. From my understanding ACL surgery requires up to 8 weeks just laying in bed waiting for the ligaments to consolidate. Its quite serious stuff. You cannot do diddly squat. Then its weeks later before a guy can even jog. This all takes several months. Then there is the painful and ardous rehab which you must be committed to and which needs a disciplined programmed schedule. Inglis is a large man used to moving around so for him it would be depressing just laying and reading, watching screens etc. He just has to fight through it and let the physios and others set a recovery program for him.

I can understand that. I spent two months in a moonboot a couple of years ago and it was horrible. Being completely restricted would be the worst i imagine!

ThingFish

Juniors
He's in the best place a person with depression can be, in a safe place, with professionals, away from public and media stress.

He could be in front of a pile of coke, in a beach house with painkillers and red bull, or getting pissed in a Kings Cross nightclub and punching on.

It takes balls to make the humble choice and admit you need help.

Speedy recovery big fella.

callmack1

Staff member
Greg Inglis checks into rehab: Friends reveal his torment
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
May 18, 2017 1:30am
THE rugby league world has been rocked with revelations Queensland Origin star Greg Inglis has admitted himself to a rehabilitation centre to deal with mental health issues.

It’s understood the 30-year-old checked himself in 10 days ago and will remain in the clinic for three weeks after struggling with family issues.

Former Broncos captain Justin Hodges has opened up about the private pain engulfing his best mate, saying that Inglis feels “lost” in his battle with depression.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has played a role in Inglis’s treatment after fielding calls from concerned friends asking which rehab facility Darius Boyd, the now Brisbane skipper, attended three years ago.

Hodges played State of Origin and Test football with Inglis and is one of his closest confidantes in the NRL.

He spoke to Inglis last night and revealed the South Sydney sensation felt isolated and a loss of identity after some on and off-field struggles in the past three months.
As concern for Inglis swept the NRL last night, Maroons and Cowboys champion Johnathan Thurston also contacted Hodges to inquire about his Origin and Australian teammate’s welfare.

“I spoke to Greg (last night),” said Hodges, a veteran of 24 Origin matches who retired from the NRL two years ago. “Greg knew it wouldn’t be kept a secret.

“He’s a bit down that it’s out there, he didn’t want everyone knowing, but it was always going to come out because he’s a high-profile person.

“I won’t go into exact details but it’s a bit of everything. He feels lost.

“It’s a bit of footy, it’s his injury and some personal stuff.

3b145159521be906e36584dac32014d5

media_cameraJustin Hodges and Greg Inglis in happier times. Pictures: Adam Head
“He’s never been in this position, it can be scary to be out with a long-term injury and there’s a lot of expectation on him.

“This is part of his healing process. It’s out there now. He’s an icon of our game and the most important thing is he knows he has great friends and a great family who love him and we’re all there to help.”

Inglis snapped his ACL in the opening game of the season in March and faces a nine-month rehabilitation.

His wife Sally recently moved out of their Sydney home and moved to Queensland to be closer to her family in Brisbane.

The pair own a home on Brisbane’s northside and Inglis was keen to go with her.

However, he was unable to leave Sydney due to his knee rehabilitation and assistant coaching role at the Rabbitohs.

It is believed the stress of living apart, coupled with uncertainty over his future in rugby league, triggered a breakdown which convinced Inglis to seek professional help.

Hodges, who himself battled depression after suffering a major achilles injury midway through his glittering career, said he could relate to Inglis’s personal torment.

67b0aa40d45fdafffa108d41645650b5

media_cameraGreg Inglis has checked into rehab. (File picture)
“I’m very close to Greg. I know what he is going through,” he said.

“The best thing about it is he’s acknowledging he is going through some dramas and these are the issues that face high-profile people. He is 30 years of age now and you question whether you will be the same player.

“You feel you are letting people down and you ask if you will be able to play again.

“Greg never had to worry about that type of stuff before, a lot of things can impact on players and sometimes it takes one big injury for things to come crashing down.

“The important thing is that the game rallies around him and supports him 100 per cent.”

Queensland coach Kevin Walters last night said: “I am shocked by this. Greg was part of our Origin team last year and he’s a wonderful young man. It’s awful news and my heart goes out to Greg and his family. I hope he gets the help he needs and comes back to the game with a smile on his face.”

The Inglis news came as a shock as some of the game’s greats gathered at Nine’s Origin launch in North Sydney last night.

“I speak on behalf of all Queenslanders when I say we wish him all the best and hope he makes a full recovery,” rugby league immortal Wally Lewis said.

Fellow Queensland hero Darren Lockyer said long-term injuries could often make life tough for a professional athlete.

“That can play havoc a bit with your mind. We don’t know exactly why (with Inglis), but we just hope he comes back better than ever.”

doyen

Bench
Greg's best days are well behind him now.

With this serious knee injury the reality of his plight may have set in.

The injury would be a big bummer for him,no doubt,but the "Yesterday's Hero"/"Fallen Idol" syndrome could also be festering.

It's not only his knees;his hip has been chronic-----these body parts are closely associated & if one fails the other suffers!!
GI seems to be at the crossroads with his life. He is a veteran who is struggling physically.He is married with two children. He will have a big future off the field albiet NOT a super star!!

He may be forced to call it a day!!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Greg's best days are well behind him now.

With this serious knee injury the reality of his plight may have set in.

The injury would be a big bummer for him,no doubt,but the "Yesterday's Hero"/"Fallen Idol" syndrome could also be festering.

It's not only his knees;his hip has been chronic-----these body parts are closely associated & if one fails the other suffers!!
GI seems to be at the crossroads with his life. He is a veteran who is struggling physically.He is married with two children. He will have a big future off the field albiet NOT a super star!!

He may be forced to call it a day!!!

It's not like if he retires now he can be disappointed in his career. There are not many NRL players that have achieved what GI has and he has been dominant throughout his whole career. Even on one leg his one of the best fullbacks in the competition. He's knowledge of the game is overqualified for a position as an assistant coach. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Meninga or QLD wanted him as an assistant coach.

I understand he never wants the glory days of QLD and Australia to end but it's not like he will be forgotten when he retires. You will still get kids coming through that will be called the next Greg Inglis for years now.

His playing style and ability to play anywhere in the back 7 has not been mirrored by anyone else as well as he could do it. If Greg retires, he retires a champion and one that Souths wouldn't have won the premiership without.

Latest posts