What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex Johnston!!

possm

Coach
Notwithstanding some decent points made above, I have to say that I'd take Mitchell in a heart beat. This kid is an excitement machine with size, pace, footwork, fend...

Granted we have some talent coming through but Mitchell is special.
Would be great if we could land him however, I doubt he is on Millward's radar. I think it will be Hayne or Field/Dufty.

Old Timer

Coach
Notwithstanding some decent points made above, I have to say that I'd take Mitchell in a heart beat. This kid is an excitement machine with size, pace, footwork, fend...

Granted we have some talent coming through but Mitchell is special.
No doubt Mitchell may in fact be special.
He looks very classy in patches and is making great fist of learning to play centre.
The question is do you want to see Dufty get a run to see what he has got?
If we buy Mitchell as a FB then Dufty will never get a go at our club and will move on.
Mitchell will cost big $$$$ and have an effect on our cap especially getting big $$$$ at a very young age.
Dufty may or not make it but if he does make it, at this time will cost us much much less than Mitchell.

ALSGI

Bench
Maybe Dufty being named at 18 is a smoke screen for him to start and Nightingale back to the wing with KFFL to drop out...keep him out of the media lights for his debut...
You give Mary too much credit, but if this hapens I'll hapily give him credit too.

possm

Coach
He looks very classy in patches and is making great fist of learning to play centre.
If we buy Mitchell as a FB then Dufty will never get a go at our club and will move on.
Mitchell will cost big $$$$ and have an effect on our cap especially getting big $$$$ at a very young age.
Dufty may or not make it but if he does make it, at this time will cost us much much less than Mitchell.
If Dufty becomes our fullback, you can bet your last dollar that his manager will be at Millward for an upgrade.

Mitchell on a two year deal will be 400k-500k. Once he hits his straps, say after two years, he will be wanting top dollars. We need a good fullback to strengthen our spine.

epDragon62

First Grade
I'm not opposed to Dufty being tested but it ought to be now and I hope the intention is to shield him from the spot light for as long as possible before playing him at FB on Friday.

The thing is, OT, if we gain Mitchell and lose Dufty I think we are up on the transaction.

In all likelihood we aren't looking at Mitchell so all power to Dufty starting Friday, I hope.

You are proving to be a supercilious git.
You made a false interpretation of my post and used disparaging terms in your initial response "let me dumb it down for you" I believe was your quote.
Mitchell doesn't play FB now and was replaced in that position by a 33 year old so how do you explain that he should be a walk up start as FB for us when despite all his potential he doesn't fulfil that role at his current club?
Mitchell only got his chance by being exceptional in lower grades exactly as Dufty has done so why should we not give Dufty his chance, why discard him without ever looking at him?
Potential can only be fulfilled if it is given its chance so Dufty deserves every opportunity to do exactly what Mitchell has done.
You somehow presuppose my opposition to Mitchell is because I think he has not talent or potential which is incorrect I simply prefer to look within in the first instance.
Is it your belief that if we have an NRL vacancy that we should entice some other clubs 20 year old already in firsts be poached rather than promote our own 20 year olds?
If you use that philosophy why not go for Hess and forget about Leilua?
Our club refuses to utilise / embrace young talent within its own ranks and you appear to agree with that stance by suggesting Mitchell ahead of Dufty purely on the basis that Mitchell has already played 1st.
With that attitude we may as well not have juniors at all, as we will never blood / select them and every other club that does do that obviously has better and cheaper options than our own club.
Adopting your attitude we will never ease cap pressure as we are always looking external and never within and somehow you justify that by suggesting that maybe Dufty doesn't have it.
Well neither you or I know whether he does or doesn't have it but at least I am willing to find out before rushing out to buy somebody else yet to be fully proven at NRL level let alone in the key position of FB.
I think you must suffer from selective amnesia. Let me remind you.
Your opening salvo to my original post was " God - some people are f**ked in the head"
So you regard my response "let me dumb it down for you" as disparaging? Poor baby!
It's obvious that you can dish it out but you can't take it.
You then went on to call me "Stupid" and finally a "F**ckwhit".
In fact, I think YOU are supercilious and your patronizing "attitude" is just appalling.
There are 2 issues here which I will point out to you seeing that you still don't get it.
1. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on these forums without having to be brow beaten and insulted by the likes of you.
In any case, it is generally an exercise in subjectivity and should be treated as such.
2. Having a basic decency and respect for other people.
Name calling shows limited intelligence and no class.

BTW - Latrell Micthell would still be a terrific long term replacement for Dugan in my opinion.

possm

Coach
Dufty to start and Nightingale back to wing..
I think its on the cards doesnt make sense otherwise
I wish it was so easy. Mary seems to always have a way of selecting the odd pathway. I mean, if Dufty was travelling poorly, just switch him and Nightingale at any time during the game. Or, for heaven's sake, swich Nightingale to fullback in defence if it seems Dufty is copping a hamering.

hazzbeen

Bench
All this talk between you guys and Souffs about getting Mitchell is hilarious.

Of course we'll release one of the most talented kids the game has seen in recent years from his contract which ends in 2019. That would make perfect sense.
Tommy you guys wouldn't be that stupid to release him ? Or you might do a Dragon as we did with Jack Bird , let him go and then try and bring him back on big money ..... Nothing Surprises me these days ....

mickeylane

Bench
I think the only backline signing that Dragons will make this year outside resigning existing players will be Alex Johnston. He will be signed as insurance for the FB role just in case the youngsters don't gel (Field, Dufty) then move back to wing or centres.

Brent Read wrote last year "I don’t think there is any other player in the game with the ability to find the try line as much as AJ. Blistering pace, the heir to Inglis’ number 1 jersey – a big future ahead."

This is IMO - I can't see the club splurging $800k on a FB no way ..

1. He's affordable less than $500k

- he can play FB, Wing and at a pinch centre

- he's 23 and experienced

- proven try scorer

- Is a typical Dragons type of player who can play more than one position.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
I think the only backline signing that Dragons will make this year outside resigning existing players will be Andrew Johnston. He will be signed as insurance for the FB role just in case the youngsters don't gel (Field, Dufty) then move back to wing or centres.

This is IMO - I can't see the club splurging $800k on a FB no way ..

1. He's affordable less than $500k

- he can FB, Wing and at a pinch centre

- he's 23 and experienced

- proven try scorer

- Is a typical Dragons type of player who can play more than one position.

Don't know about Andrew...but maybe Alex.

Old Timer

Coach
I think you must suffer from selective amnesia. Let me remind you.
Your opening salvo to my original post was " God - some people are f**ked in the head"
So you regard my response "let me dumb it down for you" as disparaging? Poor baby!
It's obvious that you can dish it out but you can't take it.
You then went on to call me "Stupid" and finally a "F**ckwhit".
In fact, I think YOU are supercilious and your patronizing "attitude" is just appalling.
There are 2 issues here which I will point out to you seeing that you still don't get it.
1. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on these forums without having to be brow beaten and insulted by the likes of you.
In any case, it is generally an exercise in subjectivity and should be treated as such.
2. Having a basic decency and respect for other people.
Name calling shows limited intelligence and no class.

BTW - Latrell Micthell would still be a terrific long term replacement for Dugan in my opinion.
A quick lesson for you re your amnesia and distortion of the facts.
1. I made a general statement #56 re some people being f**ked in the head which you chose you to personalise because you happen to be pro Mitchell. If I wanted to directly respond to you I would have done so by hitting the reply to your individual post which I had done previously in a polite manner so get your facts correct before tearing off into a rant.
2, Many people in this place bagged out the club for losing juniors, not promoting juniors, not securing juniors, not signing juniors and said the club was f**ked for all of the above. Then some of these same people said Dufty, Leilua and Field in particular were must keep players and must be given their chance.
3. Then some of these very same people applauded the club for keeping them and said we have finally learnt from past mistakes.
4. Then some of these very same people are now saying the very juniors they wanted kept should now be overlooked yet again in favour of outside juniors or journeymen which is a position they had previously ridiculed.
5. So on the basis of the above I still consider that some people are indeed f**ked in the head.
6. I love it when people talk of democracy and freedom of speech but then decry others for their opinion so please spare me that line of thought.
7. I at no stage dumped on you personally until you came out with the "let me dumb it down for you comment" so don't speak to me of not being able to take it I merely responded to your arrogance that you think me of inferior intelligence and had to simplify something for me and indeed it appears that you are ok dishing it out but don't like taking as it is evidenced in your ill informed response which you based on your interpretation of a post rather than the facts.

Latest posts