What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's NOT a mess

Como Connection

First Grade
We are under the cap in 2017. So we have funds for all our current 2017 players.
The cap is projected to go up 2m to a total of 9m for 30 players.
So extra cap 2m
Dugan and Packer gone 1.2m
Total 3.2m
Sign Hayne for 800k includes a 400k subsidy from Titans
Sign Prop for 400k
Balance 2m
Contract upgrades so far - Widdop, De Belin, Thompson, Ah Mau, Aitken 600k
Balance 1.4m
Additional 5 players to make up our 30 player squad 500k
Balance 900k
Plus the salaries of players leaving,
less upgrades and new players to sign.

So as you can see the cap situation is not so bleak. After buying Hayne and a good prop and extending our pack of forwards, Widdop and Aitken, we still have 900k to sort out the rest of our 30 man squad.
Give the $900k to Kurt Mann please possum.
CC

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
A mess is what it is and it's Millward's fault. Millward agreed to hold off on the Packer contract until Dugan's deal was completed. Even though Packer wanted to say and our Club wanted him to stay. Our offer was 500k-600k. We could have signed him in November. Millward could have continued on his merry way recruiting and retaining. Millward never really wanted for Dugan to stay and should just pulled his offer and recruited a replacement.

Dugan always wanted 1m. The Dragons initial offer was 700k but increased it to 850k. When Dugan refused the 850k, the offer should have been pulled.

It is a mess because now there are less options in the market place to replace these two key first graders. We were on the cusp of having a GF winning side with Hunt coming next year. If Millward can't recruit like for like or better, it will be a matter of re-building for another few years.

Possm, I'm selling some shirts if you're interested? Whats your size?Millward the messer.jpg

Crush

Coach
Life is pretty simple. There are negative and positive people. This thread proves it. I reckon its 50/50.
#itsnotamess

WA 'S OWN RED V

Juniors
it's not a mess.

we have won games this year against what most of the arm chair experts proclaimed.

Lots of you were wrong. Look in the mirror and admit u are human and u make mistakes like we all do.

We have lost close games this year but more or less have been competitive.

We have had untimely injuries.

We have lost players. Who want to much coin. so what ! Bye bye....they are solid, not brilliant and definitely replaceable.

We are short a half a 5/8 and a fullback and still doing ok.

A mess is the tigers

Stay positive we are doing ok

If you are offended harden up.

Stop being so negative.

Things could be better. But could be a whole lot worse

Respect what they have done in spite of the challenges we face.

Go dragons !!!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
it's not a mess.
it's a little untidy..

we have won games this year against what most of the arm chair experts proclaimed.
personally, i have this blind faith that we'll win every match we play

Lots of you were wrong. Look in the mirror and admit u are human and u make mistakes like we all do.

that's true. for most of today i was certain it was friday, not thursday.

We have lost close games this year but more or less have been competitive.
well that's true, but they still register as losses on the table.

We have had untimely injuries.
agree. i'd much prefer we lost dugan and widdop in a preliminary final win

We have lost players. Who want to much coin. so what ! Bye bye....they are solid, not brilliant and definitely replaceable.
agree.. there are 32 other players who played the ANZAC test we could try and pick up instead

We are short a half a 5/8 and a fullback and still doing ok.
well, we've lost every game we haven't had our complete spine..

i
A mess is the tigers

actually a mess is where soldiers go to eat..

Stay positive we are doing ok
is a positive cocaine test okay?

If you are offended harden up.

it's not a convenient time to have a boner right now, but okay.

i
Stop being so negative.

if two of us are negative though, that makes a positive.. so provided we all pair up, we should be okay?

Things could be better. But could be a whole lot worse

that's true. we could be AFL fans..

Respect what they have done in spite of the challenges we face.
who are "they"? are you one of them? can you read my thoughts?

Go dragons !!!
you forgot the capital D..[/QUOTE]

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Really it has taken you this long to figure that out.

The Dragons have been doing it for years manufacturing players in numerous positions hell they played Prior as a centre.

Thanks for your input, Captain Sarcasm.

My remark only reaffirmed what most Dragons' fans already know.

Perhaps you haven't figured that out yet?

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Life is pretty simple. There are negative and positive people. This thread proves it. I reckon its 50/50.
#itsnotamess

I don't think it's about being negative or positive. This isn't a glass half empty/full scenario. It's about people having somewhat informed opinions based on their experience observing how successful teams are built. Like most subjects on here opinion is divided and that's ok.

I think Millward's recruitment and retention has caused us to go backwards, but I truly hope that I'm proven to be wrong and that you're right.

it's a little untidy..

personally, i have this blind faith that we'll win every match we play

that's true. for most of today i was certain it was friday, not thursday.

well that's true, but they still register as losses on the table.

agree. i'd much prefer we lost dugan and widdop in a preliminary final win

agree.. there are 32 other players who played the ANZAC test we could try and pick up instead

well, we've lost every game we haven't had our complete spine..

actually a mess is where soldiers go to eat..

is a positive cocaine test okay?

it's not a convenient time to have a boner right now, but okay.

if two of us are negative though, that makes a positive.. so provided we all pair up, we should be okay?

that's true. we could be AFL fans..

who are "they"? are you one of them? can you read my thoughts?

you forgot the capital D..
[/QUOTE]

Boom! Lmao

Crush

Coach
I don't think it's about being negative or positive. This isn't a glass half empty/full scenario. It's about people having somewhat informed opinions based on their experience observing how successful teams are built. Like most subjects on here opinion is divided and that's ok.

I think Millward's recruitment and retention has caused us to go backwards, but I truly hope that I'm proven to be wrong and that you're right.
When you say Millwards recruitment and retention has caused us to go backwards where exactly backwards from? I think from last year we have come leaps and bounds forwards.
If you are talking purely about the loss of Dugan and Packer then I think thats a bit tough. Its the way the market is. Every team is suffering with players leaving for more coin.
And maybe you are right its not a glass half full glass half empty scenario but there are definitely positive and negative people.
I looked back at a thread about expectations for 2017 from before the season. Some people said we would get the spoon, some said we would be lucky to finish top 12, and so on up. Mickeylane said top 4. I think he may almost just be right. Positive person.

hazzbeen

Bench
When you say Millwards recruitment and retention has caused us to go backwards where exactly backwards from? I think from last year we have come leaps and bounds forwards.
If you are talking purely about the loss of Dugan and Packer then I think thats a bit tough. Its the way the market is. Every team is suffering with players leaving for more coin.
And maybe you are right its not a glass half full glass half empty scenario but there are definitely positive and negative people.
I looked back at a thread about expectations for 2017 from before the season. Some people said we would get the spoon, some said we would be lucky to finish top 12, and so on up. Mickeylane said top 4. I think he may almost just be right. Positive person.
Crush it is good to stay positive , and I for one admit that we are doing much better than what I thought , but we have to be realistic at the same time . Lets just hope that the club and ourselves have turned the corner after a few dismal years and make this club The Almighty St George Illawarra a great team and club again ....

possm

Coach
I also don't believe it's a mess.

As plenty on this forum have said Dugan is a very good player but is limited in his ability to pass therefore is a bit one dimensional and therefore not worth $1M per season. There are options within our own ranks to replace him. Good luck to him if the Sharks are happy to pay him that sort of money.

Secondly, Russell Packer has been great this year and would have been great to keep - but not at any price. The club also has options to replace him I believe.

As plenty of others have said you can't keep them all. I believe Millward has done a great job signing new players as well as retaining junior talent. I would rather see Dragons juniors graduate into First Grade and be retained than continually buying players like the Bulldogs, Rorters, Sharks, Beagles etc do continually. It's satisfying to see their development and I believe they are more likely to stay loyal than bought players.

Just my $0.02 anyway.....
I gree with the points you have made however, the mess has very little to do with the players. Millward has caused the mess by not closing deals promptly. If Dugan wants 1m and Millward would never pay 1m, that is fine. Millward should have tabled his final offer with a deadline and moved onto the next deal.

In November last year Packer wanted to stay and there were no other offers. Do the deal and move on. There was nothing to be gained by delaying this extension by 6 months.

Millward showed a lack of ability when it came to closing the difficult deals. He compounded the problem by insulting Dugan, saying he is a centre and would only be paid centre money or words to that effect. Millward agreed with the player manager to do Packer's deal last, why? Packer wanted to stay, we wanted him to stay and at the time, Packer was not complaining about the offer.

The mess is all to do with Millward and his ability to do the job.

Latest posts