What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millward Recruitment and Retention Update

BringTheNoise

Juniors
It's a complete myth to suggest Dugan cannot execute a "simple pass" which result in tries. For evidence, look at the exquisite 'long ball' he provided in Mann's second try against Melbourne at WIN Stadium.

While Dugan may not be a natural ball player, it's probably more an indictment of how impotent the team's point scoring (in)ability has been since he joined the club in 2013.

His impeding defection is a massive blow to a side that is starting to show signs of improvement.

Exactly. He can pass but his strength is his running game. He backs himself to break the line.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Packer wanted to stay and we wanted him to stay until we waited so long and a rival offered him a better deal. The rival's opportunity was not there in Nov - April. Surely we could have signed Packer. I put it down to Millward taking his eye off the ball and being played by Packer's manager.

Millward is handling it well as he has the prioriy signings in order. Millward did offer the 2 guys deals in November but obviously they wanted more. Millward don't forget had more than those 2 to worry about so gave them offers in order to fit as many of the big players as her can to keep. The 2 (Packer and Dugan) wanted to test the market. Dugan got no bites apart from Rugby until the season kicked off. Remember Saints offered him 2 mil for 3 years to 0.00 dollars and he said no. Millwards fault? Your kidding. Dugan had to go into the season and have a cracker before anyone even made an offer. He took a punt and it paid off. I don't get why Millward is the bad one. Millward had enough faith to offer him 2 mil whilst the others didn't until last month or so.

From November to now, of the key signings (Widdop, Packer and Dugan) Millward went back to Widdop first. (Now at the start of the season I would have had him last in the order of the 3 but he really has been that good and put himself top of the list which I agree with. I honestly believed Marshall was not the issue but he clearly was in terms of Widdop's performance). Of the 3 positions the 5/8 is a crucial role and with Hunt it makes the halves one of the best in the comp. Millward manages to sign Be Bellin who has also been sensational and got Vaughny During that time and extended him recently as well. Vaughn signed Oct 2016 so did Millward do some forward planning in case Packer pi$$es off? Uh, shit yeah. He was that confident in Vaughn that he offered him 1.75mil. Highest paid prop. More than Packer. Is that a bad deal? No way. Storm have 1 expensive prop don't forget not 2 mil and same with the other good sides.

Millward is in a position where no matter what he does fans will be pi$$ed off and he has taken a hug punt. But his rational is why throw all your eggs in 1 basket in Dugan when you have 2 guns (Field/Dufty) waiting to get a crack.

Dugan at Fields/Dufty's age was probably spoken about just as highly. These 2 are the real deal and the future. 1 Will replace Nighty and the other Dugan in the future.