What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's NOT a mess

Crush

Coach
Crush it is good to stay positive , and I for one admit that we are doing much better than what I thought , but we have to be realistic at the same time . Lets just hope that the club and ourselves have turned the corner after a few dismal years and make this club The Almighty St George Illawarra a great team and club again ....
I agree with all of that.
For whats it worth, I said that my expectations were that we were competitive week in week out and played a tough exciting brand if footy that we could be proud of. The last couple of weeks have been rough without widdop but once hes back we will be hard to beat. I think top 6 finish!

hazzbeen

Bench
I agree with all of that.
For whats it worth, I said that my expectations were that we were competitive week in week out and played a tough exciting brand if footy that we could be proud of. The last couple of weeks have been rough without widdop but once hes back we will be hard to beat. I think top 6 finish!
Love to be playing in the Finals , lets hope we start winning a few games before Widdop gets back , then you never know what could happen .....

Crush

Coach
Love to be playing in the Finals , lets hope we start winning a few games before Widdop gets back , then you never know what could happen .....
I hope we can sneak a win tonight. I am a tad worried about our kicking game though

hazzbeen

Bench
I hope we can sneak a win tonight. I am a tad worried about our kicking game though
Crush its refreshing to have a decent conversation about Footy , we all have our opinions on the game and we dont always agree with each other , a little banter here and there is good as long as its not abusive or personal to someone ....... Anyway lets CRUSH them tonight ........:)

BringTheNoise

Juniors
When you say Millwards recruitment and retention has caused us to go backwards where exactly backwards from? I think from last year we have come leaps and bounds forwards.
If you are talking purely about the loss of Dugan and Packer then I think thats a bit tough. Its the way the market is. Every team is suffering with players leaving for more coin.
And maybe you are right its not a glass half full glass half empty scenario but there are definitely positive and negative people.
I looked back at a thread about expectations for 2017 from before the season. Some people said we would get the spoon, some said we would be lucky to finish top 12, and so on up. Mickeylane said top 4. I think he may almost just be right. Positive person.

Agree we have so far exceeded expectations. I was one who doubted we would even be competitive and have so far been proven wrong which believe me I am happy about.

I feel we've gone backwards because we were in the midst of assembling a premiership squad if we were able retain key players to compliment the signing of Hunt.

Our gameplan currently relies on Dugan's starts to our sets of 6 and Packer's one-two punch with Vaughan. No player in our squad will offer Dugan's defense (probably the best in the comp) or kick return/strong starts to our sets. Sims and Ah Mau both only average around 30mins per game compared to Packer's 50mins.

Whilst Hunt is a great signing, he won't be the be-all-and-end-all without the cattle around him.

Old Timer

Coach
Buying Hunt = 1 step >
Losing Packer and Dugan = 2 steps <
Nett result = 1 step <
Losing 2 current internationals is not easy to replace.
If you cannot replace with SOO or current internationals or someone knocking on that door then best to replace from within in the 1st instance.
Sick to death of the Spakfilla approach we need "no more gaps" instead.

possm

Coach
Buying Hunt = 1 step >
Losing Packer and Dugan = 2 steps <
Nett result = 1 step <
Losing 2 current internationals is not easy to replace.
If you cannot replace with SOO or current internationals or someone knocking on that door then best to replace from within in the 1st instance.
Sick to death of the Spakfilla approach we need "no more gaps" instead.
Replace Dugan with Hayne
Replace Packer with a hard nosed prop that has mongrel.

Old Timer

Coach
Replace Dugan with Hayne
Replace Packer with a hard nosed prop that has mongrel.
If we can't afford Dugan how the hell can we afford Hayne?
There are no hard nosed props remotely like Packer so best we blood Kerr.
Anyway if Hayne comes to our club I'm off to the Swans games and not coming back until he leaves as he IMO is a dumbness disloyal person and a waste of our time and energy.
Same mould as Benji who I was glad to see the back of and Farrah who I am glad we never got.

Smurf

Juniors
Can someone tell me how good is Cody Walker ?
Would he be good fit at the Dragons .
I used to love Josh ( and will do until he leaves ) but this ongoing contract saga is driving me mad .

qld redvee

Juniors
does any one know the chain of command re recruitment ??? who does he report to . the way I see it ( and probably wrong ) Millward is told that we need a position and so he tries to identify the appropriate player and then tells coach who he has found and either to proceed with negotiations or find some one else. I dont think millward is making every player transaction by himself surely there is feedback amongst coaching staff , similarly somebody apart from millward must agree on $$$ available to pay .. And know Im not related .

Crush

Coach
Agree we have so far exceeded expectations. I was one who doubted we would even be competitive and have so far been proven wrong which believe me I am happy about.

I feel we've gone backwards because we were in the midst of assembling a premiership squad if we were able retain key players to compliment the signing of Hunt.

Our gameplan currently relies on Dugan's starts to our sets of 6 and Packer's one-two punch with Vaughan. No player in our squad will offer Dugan's defense (probably the best in the comp) or kick return/strong starts to our sets. Sims and Ah Mau both only average around 30mins per game compared to Packer's 50mins.

Whilst Hunt is a great signing, he won't be the be-all-and-end-all without the cattle around him.
your second paragraph states that we are in the midst of assembling a premiership squad. Thats Millward! He signed Vaughan, Sims, McInnes Hunt. Plus he re-signed the youth worth keeping. He has been instrumental in making this premiership squad.
Dugan and Packer will leave but i dont think millward has done a bad job. I think he has done just fine

Smurf

Juniors
If Millward gets Hunt here prior to 39/6/17 he will get a 9/10 from me.

One point deduction for Packer going .....

BringTheNoise

Juniors
your second paragraph states that we are in the midst of assembling a premiership squad. Thats Millward! He signed Vaughan, Sims, McInnes Hunt. Plus he re-signed the youth worth keeping. He has been instrumental in making this premiership squad.
Dugan and Packer will leave but i dont think millward has done a bad job. I think he has done just fine

Sorry - let me re-phrase that. We were on the brink. Like Old Timer said, 1 step forward 2 steps back. Almost good enough still isn't good enough.

Crush

Coach
Sorry - let me re-phrase that. We were on the brink. Like Old Timer said, 1 step forward 2 steps back. Almost good enough still isn't good enough.
I am not sure its 1 step forward 2 steps back. But lets see how this season pans out before we start looking at next.
For this year we have Dugan and Packer so hopefully they finish 2017 strongly. I am sure they will.
Go Dragons!

WA 'S OWN RED V

Juniors
Another win without the million dollars man and not replaced by one of the 32.
Lucky we won't be paying overs for a solid centre. It's such a mess la.
KFFL inspired selection...... 2 points job done.
time to eat.where is the mess?