What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Warrior's

Walpole

Juniors

How you sing the team song can tell a lot about a group .. I think something special could be building here..

Mann looks to be well liked ..

Can't get enough of this.. next
Awesome stuff. I think we all get a bit caught up in who we have and haven't signed, what's wrong with Millward, Mary etc, countless rumours and so on. Sometimes it's just good to be a supporter, especially when you're teams going well. It's just a game after all.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Great win despite a ordinary kicking game yet again. Forwards are close to awesome and Lafai is getting more and more exciting to watch. Mann is a class act, wish he could kick though with Widdop back he should replace McCrone. Hope they resign Mann and Lafai soon.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons snap three game losing streak to thrash New Zealand Warriors 30-14
Andrew Parkinson
19 May 2017, 8 p.m.
r0_153_3000_1846_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

On the charge: Dragons prop Paul Vaughan almost busts the Warriors' line. Picture: Hannah Peters/Getty Images

St George Illawarra have broken their three-game losing streak with a comprehensive 30-14 win over the New Zealand Warriors on Friday night.

The Dragons, without three of their biggest attacking weapons, were far too good for the Warriors in Waikato. St George Illawarra weren’t quite at their best but in truth they didn’t need to be against a poor New Zealand side.

Still without Josh Dugan (cheekbone) and Gareth Widdop (knee) through injury, the Dragons’ outside backs ran amok even without centre Euan Aitken (hamstring) on the back of a dominant and powerful forward display.

The Warriors started brightly and opened the scoring through Ben Matulino. The prop, playing his 200th game for the Warriors, made the most of an over-read in defence from the Dragons to stroll over the line from a Kieran Foran pass.

Kalifa Faifai Loa, in for his first game of first grade for the season, scored the try of the game that started on their own 30 metre line to get the Dragons level after 20 minutes. A strong run and offload from Nene Macdonald allowed Faifai Loa to break towards half way. He then offloaded back to his opposite winger who continued the movement before linking with Tim Lafai, who found Faifai Loa in support again to score out wide.

How's that for your 200th game! #NRLWarriorsDragons 6-0 after 14 minutes.#NRLpic.twitter.com/zHLyHku5tU

— NRL (@NRL) May 19, 2017
For as difficult as that try was, the Dragons’ next three minutes later was equally as simple. Joel Thompson isolated Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson in the defensive line and powered his way over to score from a flat Cameron McInnes pass.

Lafai extended the lead through a penalty goal before he crossed for a try of his own. This time it was clever work from Josh McCrone who opened up space on the short side after feigning to go to the open, with Lafai offered a simple passage to the try line.

Starts it... finishes it! :raised_hands:#NRLWarriorsDragons 6-6 after 21 minutes.#NRLpic.twitter.com/41U2rPVrFy

But just as they were cruising the Dragons gave up a scrappy try a minute before halftime to allow the Warriors back into the game. Back to back penalties helped the Warriors march downfield before Thompson fumbled a Johnson grubber, with the loose ball flicked up to Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad to reduce the deficit to 18-10 at the break.

Any fight the Warriors had was extinguished 10 minutes into the second half when Macdonald scored. Faifai Loa touched down for his second 10 minutes later to extend the lead before Taane Milne celebrated his birthday with a try to see the score blow out to 30-10 which was no more than the Dragons deserved.

Looking dangerous down the edge!#NRLWarriorsDragons#NRLpic.twitter.com/QLoDs6Zs2z

If anything the scoreline flattered the hosts, with Nicoll-Klokstad scoring a late consolation for the Warriors.

The timing couldn’t have been better for the Dragons to snap their three game winless run. St George Illawarra have the bye next weekend before a home clash with the struggling Wests Tigers.

It was another impressive win for the Dragons who remain entrenched in the NRL’s top five as the State of Origin period looms.

Leader Scoreboard

St George Illawarra Dragons 30 (Kalifa Faifai Loa two, Joel Thompson, Tim Lafai, Nene Macdonald, Taane Milne tries. Tim Lafai three goals)

defeated

New Zealand Warriors 14 (Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad two, Ben Matulino tries. Shaun Johnson goal)

at FMG Stadium, Waikato

Leader man of the match: Tim Lafai (Dragons)

Dragons’ next three: BYE, Tigers (home – ANZ Stadium), Bulldogs (away – ANZ Stadium)

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4...eak-losing-streak-to-thrash-warriors/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons hammer Warriors to snap losing streak

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

19 May 2017, 8:30 p.m.

ST GEORGE Illawarra halted a three-game losing streak and handed the Warriors their fourth straight loss in as many appearances in Waikato with a 30-14 win on Friday night.

r0_0_3000_2000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

DOUBLE: Kalifa Faifai Loa. Picture: Getty Images

The visitors trailed 6-0 after 12 minutes but produced a commanding first half performance, leading 18-6 before Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad’s try on halftime gave the hosts a sniff at the break.

With Gareth Widdop sitting on the sideline, Kurt Mann produced his best performance in Dragons colours while Tim Lafai possibly did the same with the hosts right side defence having no answers for the a first-half onslaught.

Halves partner Josh McCrone also played a telling hand in the victory that was all but sealed when Nene MacDonald crossed nine minutes after halftime.

It ended a mini-slump that stretched back to round seven when the Dragons last tasted victory against North Queensland in Wollongong.

In what was his last chance to press their claims for State of Origin selection, Paul Vaughan was again outstanding for the Dragons, running for 214 metres from 20 carries in just 47 minutes on the park.

Jack de Belin also mounted a strong closing argument while the Dragons back five combined for a whopping 810 metres – more than the entire Warriors pack combined – five tries and three try-assists.

It was the Dragons 17th win from 19 games against the Warriors and ensured they’ll head into a round 12 bye on a winning note.

Ben Matulino celebrated his 200th game with the opening try in the 12th minute after charging onto a pinpoint pass from Keiran Foran with Johnson adding the extras for an early 6-0 lead.

The Dragons hit back with a brilliant try of their own with MacDonald and Kalifa Faifai Loa both handling twice in the lead-up for the latter to finish next to the posts.

Lafai, who produced a deft off-load to lay-on his side’s first four-pointer, landed the conversion to level up at 6-all.

Lafai opened the Warriors up again in the ensuing set with only some desperate scramble from the hosts denying the Dragons a second try.

The resistance was momentary with Joel Thompson crossing after Bodene Thompson conceded a penalty just metres out from his own line. Lafai’s conversion attempt was waved away keeping the margin at four after 24 minutes.

Lafai slotted a penalty goal 12 minutes before the break for a six-point buffer and extended the margin four minutes later after Josh McCrone caught the Warriors napping on a short blindside.

The Warriors put a dent in the margin on halftime with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad picking up the scraps after Thompson fumbled a Johnson grubber close to his own line. Johnson couldn’t nail the extras, keeping the score at a flattering 18-10 at halftime.

MacDonald produced an acrobatic finish for his side’s fourth try nine minutes after the resumption. With his wing partner in the action, Faifai Loa scored his second from a Lafai off-load at the 60-minute mark to give his side a 16-point cushion heading into the final stages.

Nicoll-Klokstad notched his second try with five minutes remaining but it only troubled the scorers as the Warriors slumped to their fourth loss in five matches.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-snap-losing-streak-against-warriors/?cs=3713

Gareth67

First Grade

How you sing the team song can tell a lot about a group .. I think something special could be building here..

Mann looks to be well liked ..

Can't get enough of this.. next

Wasn't that just tremendous to watch ! Hell , those blokes are really playing for one another and the team spirit and the pride is truly infectious , great post Too Old Too Slow .

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Quite correct they didn't turn up lucky for us they didn't
Obviously you have a particular interest in my posts so I am flattered
If you are going to take such interest don't be so selective in what you choose to quote as there are plenty of positive and complimentary ones you could also use
but no doubt you will choose not to do that
Anyway keep following my posts to see if you can find things that upset you or annoy you as that will please me no end
I am not being selective at all Sir. You quite often call my posts out. You call my positivity lunacy, you often quote my posts and criticise so why can I not do the same with yours?
I would love to see the positive and complimentary posts that you are talking about OT? When? Specifically when did you say anything complimentary about anyone other than Dugan, Widdop or Mann?
I wouldn't flatter yourself Old Timer, I don't take much interest in what you say other than you seem happy to dish it out but throw the toys out of the cot when someone does so to you.
Its like a broken record btw, every post is negative. I could tell you who you hate in a second. Ive seen it that many times.
Hayne?
Journeymen?
Daley?
McFooknuckle?
MacDonald?
Aitken?
Not sure who you like though, other than yourself ofcourse, you seem quite impressed with yourself.
Goodnight mate, keep up the positive outlook! Lol.

Great win despite a ordinary kicking game yet again. Forwards are close to awesome and Lafai is getting more and more exciting to watch. Mann is a class act, wish he could kick though with Widdop back he should replace McCrone. Hope they resign Mann and Lafai soon.
What are they waiting for? Dugan and Packer excuses are in the past now.

possm

Coach
What are they waiting for? Dugan and Packer excuses are in the past now.
When people start to understand there really is a preference to let some 'marginal' first grade players go and replace them with our gun juniors even if they are not quite ready for first grade at the moment, then they might understand why some player's contracts have not been extended.

If we don't act very soon, we will repeat the Packer/Dugan affair.

Finally, Mann showed he is a great asset and every day we delay retaining him increases the likelihood of him being approached by another Club.

Lafai has shown his quality this season, so why the delay in extending his contract? And Milne showed enough in last nights game to convince me that he also should be retained.

So if, as I believe the case, the focus is not on recruiting a marquee replacement for Dugan, then what is the hold up in securing our backs for 2018?

Red V for life

Juniors
Agree with all the sentiments on Mann, but one thing I'd like to give a hoot hoot to is his stinging defence.

For a slightly framed guy, geez he whacked into those big Warrior boys with some big and beautiful hits! Would've brought a tear to the eyes of ex players like "Cement" Gillespie and "The Axe" Gilmeister. I hope we re-sign him and soon.

The only negative for me was McCrone's kicking game. The first 3 kicks in general play were just shocking and they were followed up with kicks that never found any grass and 2 of those kicks were kicked into the back of our own players.

Something has to change. We can't keep giving 30m head starts to sets because of our poor kicking game, especially against sounder attacking and defensive sides.

ALSGI

Bench
Agree with all the sentiments on Mann, but one thing I'd like to give a hoot hoot to is his stinging defence.

For a slightly framed guy, geez he whacked into those big Warrior boys with some big and beautiful hits! Would've brought a tear to the eyes of ex players like "Cement" Gillespie and "The Axe" Gilmeister. I hope we re-sign him and soon.

The only negative for me was McCrone's kicking game. The first 3 kicks in general play were just shocking and they were followed up with kicks that never found any grass and 2 of those kicks were kicked into the back of our own players.

Something has to change. We can't keep giving 30m head starts to sets because of our poor kicking game, especially against sounder attacking and defensive sides.
Agree RedVFL, Man's defence was incredible and it's nice to see him not f**ked around for a change. He has it all (except for a kick) and with his current confidence it'd be nice to see him replace McCrone when Widdop returns. He'd be a great back up half next year, maybe Dugan's replacement, but what about Dufty and Field? Man is becoming the ultimate utility and must be signed.
McCrone played as well as he could, but agree watching his kicks are cringeworthy, really horrible.
Also that right side defence is still very vulnerable but Nene is proving his worth.
Great effort all round but our forwards were again the heros last night.

hazzbeen

Bench
What came out of this game for me was how well our forwards are going . The Warriors have a world glass halves pairing . we had a make shift 6 and 7 . They have a top line fullback we have a stand in 30 year old winger and you can throw in a very experienced 9 that they have to a very inexperienced 9 that the Dragons have ..... It comes back to your pack doing their job eating up the meters so your spine can control the game . So if you look at what the Warriors 1,6,7 and 9 are on money wise compared to our 1, 6,7.9 of the Dragons in last nights game , goes to show without the forward pack it means nothing ....

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
What came out of this game for me was how well our forwards are going . The Warriors have a world glass halves pairing . we had a make shift 6 and 7 . They have a top line fullback we has a stand in 30 year old winger and you can throw in a very experienced 9 that they have to a very inexperienced 9 that the Dragons have ..... It comes back to your pack doing their job eating up the meters so your spine can control the game . So if you look at what the Warriors 1,6,7 and 9 are on money wise compared to our 1, 6,7.9 of the Dragons in last nights game , goes to show without the forward pack it means nothing ....
Yep, the forwards are certaintly the reason for our success this year. I loved how they offloaded last night. They were unstoppable. I think we were slightly off the pace the last few weeks because we were playing the top 3 teams in the comp without widdop. Once he is back we will be hard to beat!

possm

Coach
Agree RedVFL, Man's defence was incredible and it's nice to see him not f**ked around for a change. He has it all (except for a kick) and with his current confidence it'd be nice to see him replace McCrone when Widdop returns. He'd be a great back up half next year, maybe Dugan's replacement, but what about Dufty and Field? Man is becoming the ultimate utility and must be signed.
McCrone played as well as he could, but agree watching his kicks are cringeworthy, really horrible.
Also that right side defence is still very vulnerable but Nene is proving his worth.
Great effort all round but our forwards were again the heros last night.
So what is with this Mary / Mann situation. Mann showed us what he can do last night. If his kicing game is Mary's problem with him, why hasn't received personal coaching to improve it during the off season and the 11 rounds to date? I mean most first grade backs can kick a ball, it only a matter of technique and practice to kick the ball well.

Get with the program Mary, order some kicking coaching for Mann and have him partner Widdop for the remainder of the season. It is worth noting that Mann wad not given the kicking duties last night. It was obvious McInnes had instructions to send the ball McCrone's way way on the last tackle.

If would be good to see Dufty get some time at fullback. I would really like to see how he goes at first grade level. I'm of the opinion Field is not ready to be our first grade fullback yet.

j0nesy

Bench
So what is with this Mary / Mann situation. Mann showed us what he can do last night. If his kicing game is Mary's problem with him, why hasn't received personal coaching to improve it during the off season and the 11 rounds to date? I mean most first grade backs can kick a ball, it only a matter of technique and practice to kick the ball well.

Get with the program Mary, order some kicking coaching for Mann and have him partner Widdop for the remainder of the season. It is worth noting that Mann wad not given the kicking duties last night. It was obvious McInnes had instructions to send the ball McCrone's way way on the last tackle.

If would be good to see Dufty get some time at fullback. I would really like to see how he goes at first grade level. I'm of the opinion Field is not ready to be our first grade fullback yet.

What makes you think Mary has a problem with Mann? I think he has shown a bit of faith in him over the past few weeks. Let's see what Mary does through the origin period. I hope Mann, Dufty and Field all get a good go. But I suspect our team will be very similar to the team that took the field last night minus Friz and perhaps Vaughan. Maybe Leilua will get a run during the Origin period.