What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's NOT a mess

Crush

Coach
Another win without the million dollars man and not replaced by one of the 32.
Lucky we won't be paying overs for a solid centre. It's such a mess la.
KFFL inspired selection...... 2 points job done.
time to eat.where is the mess?
Ohhhh when the saints!!!!!!
KFFL good selection. In Mary we trust!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Another win without the million dollars man and not replaced by one of the 32.
Lucky we won't be paying overs for a solid centre. It's such a mess la.
KFFL inspired selection...... 2 points job done.
time to eat.where is the mess?
124 Princes Hwy, Beverley Park NSW 2217

deansykes

Juniors
Definitely not a mess. Players come and go. Just watch the team song after tonights game and you'll see the spirit and belief by every man that took the field. Also listen to interviews with players and how they speak about Mary as a coach... Listen to Vaughan's interview post-contract extension for his positive view of the club.

j0nesy

Bench
When you say Millwards recruitment and retention has caused us to go backwards where exactly backwards from? I think from last year we have come leaps and bounds forwards.
If you are talking purely about the loss of Dugan and Packer then I think thats a bit tough. Its the way the market is. Every team is suffering with players leaving for more coin.
And maybe you are right its not a glass half full glass half empty scenario but there are definitely positive and negative people.
I looked back at a thread about expectations for 2017 from before the season. Some people said we would get the spoon, some said we would be lucky to finish top 12, and so on up. Mickeylane said top 4. I think he may almost just be right. Positive person.

I agree, I think Millward is doing a fine job. Remember, we don't lose Packer until next season and we don't know what Dugan is doing yet. We will have cap money to spare and hopefully Millward can sign a good replacement at prop. I'd like us to resign Mann and Lafai too.

We have exceeded my expectations (and most others) this season. We are pushing for top 4 and more importantly playing good football.

possm

Coach
I agree, I think Millward is doing a fine job. Remember, we don't lose Packer until next season and we don't know what Dugan is doing yet. We will have cap money to spare and hopefully Millward can sign a good replacement at prop. I'd like us to resign Mann and Lafai too.

We have exceeded my expectations (and most others) this season. We are pushing for top 4 and more importantly playing good football.
Why do you think Millward has not signed Lafia, Milne and Mann? It is because he has juniors in front of them on his whiteboard:
Herbert for Lafai
Aitken for Milne
Field for Dugan
Dufty for Mann

Now that Lafai is showing great form and Milne / Mann have been given a go and found to be genuine first graders, Millward is finding it hard to justify his untested Dufty, Field and Herbert to be selected ahead of these young guns. Milne looks the goods but will have to do a lot better to be selected ahead of Aitken under this coach.

j0nesy

Bench
Why do you think Millward has not signed Lafia, Milne and Mann? It is because he has juniors in front of them on his whiteboard:
Herbert for Lafai
Aitken for Milne
Field for Dugan
Dufty for Mann

Now that Lafai is showing great form and Milne / Mann have been given a go and found to be genuine first graders, Millward is finding it hard to justify his untested Dufty, Field and Herbert to be selected ahead of these young guns. Milne looks the goods but will have to do a lot better to be selected ahead of Aitken under this coach.
To be honest I don't buy into the hype around Milne. From what I've seen he is a decent footballer, until this season I would have had Aitken ahead of him. Aitken has gone backwards but nothing a bit of coaching and training can't fix. Herbert also looks the goods. I'd re-sign Milne but only at the right price.

Lafai has been bog average until this season. Now he is a must signing. I expect the club will move to re-sign him.

Mann has always shown promise but Mary has not given him a real go (other than wing) until recently. Reminds me a bit of Kurt Gidley. I expect the club will move to re-sign him.

Field and Dufty look to have rare potential. Millward was right to sign these guys on 3 year deals. I believe marquee players need to be at the club for 6 years before cap exemptions apply. These guys must have been with us for a few years. Could be wrong, but this might be a long term tactical decision.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The old 1 step forward 2 steps back arguement surely is just people not seeing the bigger picture.
Now lets see:
We signed -
Vaughan (1 step >)
McInnes (now 2 steps >)
Hunt (now 3 steps >)
A host of promising juniors ( i will keep it as collectively 1, so now we are 4 steps >)
Loosing:
Packer (1 step <)
Dugan (not confirmed but for arguements sake, so 2 steps <)

So realistically we are 2 steps forward ATM.
Of course this can change as Lafai, Mann and others are re-signed or not but presently wr are in the positive and a good reason why, at this present time, we sit 4th on the ladder.

ALSGI

Bench
The old 1 step forward 2 steps back arguement surely is just people not seeing the bigger picture.
Now lets see:
We signed -
Vaughan (1 step >)
McInnes (now 2 steps >)
Hunt (now 3 steps >)
A host of promising juniors ( i will keep it as collectively 1, so now we are 4 steps >)
Loosing:
Packer (1 step <)
Dugan (not confirmed but for arguements sake, so 2 steps <)

So realistically we are 2 steps forward ATM.
Of course this can change as Lafai, Mann and others are re-signed or not but presently wr are in the positive and a good reason why, at this present time, we sit 4th on the ladder.
Mate, almost there but you forgot to add:
Not signing Benji 1 step >
Not signing Rein 1 step >
So really, we're 4 Steps >

Lets see if Lafai, Mann and Milne had the shits ie Nathan Ross and Cody walker they may have come out in the media and had a whinge or flat out play like shit which they haven't infact they have done the exact opposite and played well and really put in.

With Packer gone and Dugan likely on his way to they can now concentrate oh whoes left and who they want to keep or let go.

I know some one want to continue to bash Millward to try and justify how the process goes like they know something but alas they don't like myself.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Apropos Dugan....

If his defection to Cronulla wasn't: 1, financially motivated as it appears the Dragons' offer was commensurate to the Sharks or 2. not predicated by a particular playing position, could the answer really have something to do with (coughs) the 'coach'?

It's not as though a virtual team list has rejected the club since 2014 (Hunt being the odd exception to every rule).

Oh wait....

As Possm correctly points out, SGI continues to be a complete mess (in spite of improved on field performances), and if anyone thinks otherwise, they really have NFI.

denis preston

First Grade
Apropos Dugan....

If his defection to Cronulla wasn't: 1, financially motivated as it appears the Dragons' offer was commensurate to the Sharks or 2. not predicated by a particular playing position, could the answer really have something to do with (coughs) the 'coach'?

It's not as though a virtual team list has rejected the club since 2014 (Hunt being the odd exception to every rule).

Oh wait....

As Possm correctly points out, SGI continues to be a complete mess (in spite of improved on field performances), and if anyone thinks otherwise, they really have NFI.

WTF ?? Jimmy here's some homework for you. Troll other clubs forums to get a bit of perspective.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Speed speed speed I hate to repeat myself but FIELD and DUFTY and MANN ,need to be given a run at fullback nobody knows how good or bad they might be.YES ITs time to find out MARY MARY MARY as the coach it's your job to find out if we can find a replacement for DUGAN .while he's playing centre.

Old Timer

Coach
If negotiations are currently underway to get Daley for head coach next year does that mean we are a mess for considering it?

Latest posts