What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Warrior's

getsmarty

Immortal
Warriors v St George Illawarra Dragons: Red V speed men embarrass woeful Warriors
simon_brunsdon.jpg

WHAT now for the Warriors?
The NRL’s greatest enigma is how New Zealand’s only club can continually underachieve despite housing the international spine, and a host of other Kiwi stars.

The latest embarrassment came in the form of a 30-14 loss at the hands of St George Illawarra in Waikato on Friday night.

The Dragons — missing internationals Josh Dugan and Gareth Widdop — ran riot with the ball in hand and the Warriors had little answer.

MATCH CENTRE: Dragons 30 d Warriors 14

The Red V speed men — led by outside backs Kalifa Fai Fai Loa, Tim Lafai, and Nene Macdonald — had a night out against the flimsy Warriors defence. Makeshift five-eighth Kurt Mann was equally impressive.

The Warriors hit the board first through milestone man Ben Matulino.

1d9c8b01da51b33156c7cc2c38156752

Kalifa Faifai Loa of the Dragons makes a break.Source: AAP
Playing his 200th NRL game and having been promoted off the bench, the big prop practically waltzed through a disoriented Dragons defence to score.

And while it took the visitors a good 20 minutes to start playing football, when they finally did it hit the home side like a fireball.

The Dragons ran in three tries in the space of 13 minutes — none better than the first, which was the handiwork of wingers Kalifa Fai Fai Loa and Nene Macdonald.

Tim Lafai also played a hand in the stunning team try, then scored his own in the 33rd minute off some crafty ball-playing from Josh McCrone and Kurt Mann.

The Warriors looked a basket case in defence but managed to rally in attack, and rookie winger Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad crossed in the corner to make it 10-18 at the break in favour of the Dragons.

It was much of the same in the second half, as the Dragons’ halves and outside backs continued to wreak havoc against an out-of-sorts Warriors defence.

5a98887199809642e6d4dd1d52544e4d

Paul Vaughan of the Dragons is tackled.Source: AAP
Macdonald was rewarded with his own try in the 50th minute, then Taane Milne got in on the action with a meat pie to seal a superb night for the outside backs.

Nicoll-Klokstad scored his second as a consolation late in the piece but it was far too little, far too late.

THE ORIGIN SHOO-IN

If Paul Vaughan is not on Laurie Daley’s teamsheet when it’s made public on Monday night, there is something seriously wrong with the selection process.

The Dragons prop has been the form NSW forward of the season and continued his stellar campaign against the Warriors on Friday.

During a dismal opening 20 minutes in Waikato, Vaughan was a shining light for the visitors.

In his first stint on the paddock — which was little more than half an hour — he racked up 130 running metres.

624675_640x360_large_20170519195736.jpg

Ref thwarts cheeky Lafai

0:36
By full time he had amassed 218 metres.

If he’s not one of the Blues bookends for State of Origin, he deserves a bench spot at the very least.

WARRIORS AT SIXES AND SEVENS

You would think the international New Zealand halves pairing would dominate at club level.

You would be wrong.

The Warriors looked lost in attack and it was their No.6 and 7 who can shoulder the blame.

While Kieran Foran has been the club’s best player this season, even he looked off his game in Waikato.

43a7f7b64650e46c5b6a5518272a9ee8

Shaun Johnson of the Warriors.Source: AAP
And the out-of-form Shaun Johnson had another night to forget just a fortnight after the pair represented their country alongside one another in the Anzac Test.

Johnson’s last-tackle options were plain bizarre at times and his kicking was atrocious, highlighted by an attempted grubber kick which hit the turf before his foot.

Neither of the Warriors halves ran the ball once in the first half. In comparison the Dragons halves had six between them.

Foran won’t be at the club next year but Johnson has just signed a contract extension.

Something will have to change in their partnership if the club plans on playing finals in 2017.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/da439ddb5d868bef527b19784cae2002

Crush

Coach
I was just listening to the guys on triple M talking about the dragons this year. Girdler, Wade Graham, Hoops. Its so good to hear from players and ex-players that they rate this team very highly. Graham basically said nobody wants to play them this year because they are so tough. They are relentless in their go forward and quick play the balls.
They all praised Millward for the purchase of Vaughan, McInnes and Macdonald who they had huge wraps on. They also said Mary has got the culture right and is doing a fantastic job getting them up every game.
Interesting to hear Graham say that the quick play the balls and controlling the ruck is something that they must do a hell of a lot of practice on at training.
Finally 2017 a team to be proud of!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I was just listening to the guys on triple M talking about the dragons this year. Girdler, Wade Graham, Hoops. Its so good to hear from players and ex-players that they rate this team very highly. Graham basically said nobody wants to play them this year because they are so tough. They are relentless in their go forward and quick play the balls.
They all praised Millward for the purchase of Vaughan, McInnes and Macdonald who they had huge wraps on. They also said Mary has got the culture right and is doing a fantastic job getting them up every game.
Interesting to hear Graham say that the quick play the balls and controlling the ruck is something that they must do a hell of a lot of practice on at training.
Finally 2017 a team to be proud of!

Its quite funny that at the beginning of pre-season training many on the forum were very critical of our appointed training staff......from the AFL etc etc.
Now seeing how fit we are and how tough really emphasis the fact that innovation plays a huge factor in training......i for one would like to see our current trainers signed on before others cotton on and pinch them.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Agree, but who kicks? This is one of the reasons Mary sticks with him. McInnes, Mann, Field all should be working on this, what if McCrone is injured without Widdop?

ALSGI
McIness is doing a great job.
But he kick once last night.
Mybe more like 3 or 4 times a half takes the pressure of the other kickers.
Field has a ok kicking game.
But mann offer much more right now.
Not only in attack but his defence is impressive.

True_Believer

Juniors
What makes you think Mary has a problem with Mann? I think he has shown a bit of faith in him over the past few weeks. Let's see what Mary does through the origin period. I hope Mann, Dufty and Field all get a good go. But I suspect our team will be very similar to the team that took the field last night minus Friz and perhaps Vaughan. Maybe Leilua will get a run during the Origin period.

I believe it's more like possm has a problem with Mary. Any chance he gets he bags the shite out of him for making team selections that don't align with possm's choices.

True_Believer

Juniors
Too true. While the refs let some howlers through against the Sharks, we lost that game because Mc Crone's kicking game isn't first grade standard. While he might be a passable foil to complement Widdop, he shouldn't be on the field if Widdop isn't.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here - he works OK with widdop but is too hit and miss when there isn't a dominant half.

It also looks like we are lacking a quality kicker without Widdop on the field. McInnes kicks occasionally but again is hit and miss, same with Duges. Don't think I've seen Mann kick yet so hard to say if he is any good or not.

True_Believer

Juniors
Correct and I hope we can find a suitable replacement for Packer. When Vaughan and Packer are off we definitely lose go forward so I.M.H.O I think we need at least another 2 big forwards ala Vaughan/Packer.
I disagree. I think LAM has been awesome in many games this year when he takes the field and Sims has had a fair bit of punch as well.

If you have a look at their stats Vaughn leads the way across the board by a country mile. The other 3 are reasonably even. In fact I'd say Packer is the one lagging.

Having said that, they are all contributing their part to our forward dominance.

getsmarty

Immortal
I disagree. I think LAM has been awesome in many games this year when he takes the field and Sims has had a fair bit of punch as well.

If you have a look at their stats Vaughn leads the way across the board by a country mile. The other 3 are reasonably even. In fact I'd say Packer is the one lagging.

Having said that, they are all contributing their part to our forward dominance.

So who replaces Packer ? Lam/Sims have done well but we definitely lose go forward when Vaughan and Packer are off the field. Against sides with bigger packs they get dominated...Vaughan and Packer hardly ever get put on their backs which leads to fast play the ball and hence momentum.
I will be interested to see who we sign. Mose Masoe has been a disappointment and that is the type of big body that in my opinion we need moving forward to complement the current players. Pity we can't clone Vaughan.

True_Believer

Juniors
So who replaces Packer ? Lam/Sims have done well but we definitely lose go forward when Vaughan and Packer are off the field. Against sides with bigger packs they get dominated...Vaughan and Packer hardly ever get put on their backs which leads to fast play the ball and hence momentum.
I will be interested to see who we sign. Mose Masoe has been a disappointment and that is the type of big body that in my opinion we need moving forward to complement the current players. Pity we can't clone Vaughan.
I think either of those 2 could fill the gap - I actually think Packer works off of Vaughn mostly. Give Vaughn the first hit up and then follow up with Rusty while the opposition are back peddling. I think it's all Vaughn. Probably Sims as he's more likely to get up and play the ball fast - LAM seems a bit slower in that department. Or it could be one of the young guys - Hame has been playing well and Luc could be an option if he pulls his finger out.

Como Connection

First Grade
Its quite funny that at the beginning of pre-season training many on the forum were very critical of our appointed training staff......from the AFL etc etc.
Now seeing how fit we are and how tough really emphasis the fact that innovation plays a huge factor in training......i for one would like to see our current trainers signed on before others cotton on and pinch them.
I recall players stated the preseason involved mainly running.
AFL trainers have done very well.
Athletes not gorillas.
CC

The obvious is Kerr - he's ready for FG

possm

Coach
I think you've hit the nail on the head here - he works OK with widdop but is too hit and miss when there isn't a dominant half.

It also looks like we are lacking a quality kicker without Widdop on the field. McInnes kicks occasionally but again is hit and miss, same with Duges. Don't think I've seen Mann kick yet so hard to say if he is any good or not.
Playing to instructions, McInnes passes to McCrone on last tackle.

getsmarty

Immortal
The obvious is Kerr - he's ready for FG

If its that obvious why hasn't he cracked a start already? Should be blooding him from the bench this year. We would still need to sign an experienced 1st grader. I.M.H.O. we are still 2 props short of a killer pack after Packer goes.

possm

Coach
If its that obvious why hasn't he cracked a start already? Should be blooding him from the bench this year. We would still need to sign an experienced 1st grader. I.M.H.O. we are still 2 props short of a killer pack after Packer goes.
Sele has surprised everyone. We need to see Kerr and Lawrie perform at first grade level before making a definitive judgement.

Latest posts