What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You can’t coach speed. The 2018 fullback solution.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
So Mr Dugan departs? No big issue really. He gets a 4 year gig and good on him. He leaves a team that is starting a rebuild and goes to a team that will start to slide. That is the way of the salary cap (except for the Storm, Bronco’s, Bulldogs and Roosters).

In any event I don’t sense any great anguish amongst supporters because I suspect that the solution is right under our noses. Why not play either of the young boys (Dufty or Field) at fullback in attack and have Mr Nightingale drop back in defense to fullback?

I was advocating that Nightingale was probably needing to be moved on at the end of 2017 but perhaps he has a role to play for another year or so in guiding the next young fullback into 1st grade (at least defensively).

What either of the two young fullbacks give you is that indisputable weapon; SPEED. As the great Bob Fulton said many years ago “you can’t coach speed”. Speed terrifies defenses particularly in the 2nd half and more so as the interchange get reduced again next year. You simply cannot adjust as a tiring defender.

I am now about to show my age but I remember an interview with Steve Morris back in late 1979 when he was asked after a particular game why he didn’t start running the football until the 60th minute. He replied that Harry Bath told him to simply pass the ball for the 1st 60 minutes and then with 20 minutes to go his job was to look for a tired forward who was sitting on his heels and he had to run directly at that players outside shoulder. Gone baby gone. And what a sight it was!

So after reminiscing somewhat my solution is to give Nightingale another year and get him to assist with the defensive fullback duties and get young of the super quick young guns ready for the fullback jumper for 2018.

ALSGI

Bench
Good post Rob, you're spot on about speed as a weapon and rightly talk about experience that Nighty has too.

No offence, but Nightingale decides when he retires, some players have earnt that right he is one of them. He has always done the right thing by the club and he will know when he is done too.
No offence, but no player has the right to decide what's best for the team or club - not even club legends like our Nighty.

giboz71

First Grade
It's a good opportunity to try something new. Duges is a great player, but we've never achieved any great heights whilst he been our fullback.

And before anyone lays the blame on Mary, he's currently overseeing a pretty slick backline this year, which saw a practically 2nd string backiline run rings around a full strength Warriors side away from home.

sa1nt5

Juniors
Cronk at 5/8 Hunt at halfback and Widdop to fullback sounds like a potent combo to link up with Lafai and get McDonald to realise his potential and an always pumped JamesGraham to compliment our awesome pack then we would be back on top for years, just a thought or maybe wishful thinking , can we even afford Graham and Cronk

possm

Coach
Mann is also an option. He has it all including
Cronk at 5/8 Hunt at halfback and Widdop to fullback sounds like a potent combo to link up with Lafai and get McDonald to realise his potential and an always pumped JamesGraham to compliment our awesome pack then we would be back on top for years, just a thought or maybe wishful thinking , can we even afford Graham and Cronk
Hold on, hold on, you just added another 2m to the cap.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It's a good opportunity to try something new. Duges is a great player, but we've never achieved any great heights whilst he been our fullback.

And before anyone lays the blame on Mary, he's currently overseeing a pretty slick backline this year, which saw a practically 2nd string backiline run rings around a full strength Warriors side away from home.

Your enthusiasm towards McGregor needs to be tempered with the fact that the Warriors traditionally reserves its worst performances against the Dragons.

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
You enthusiasm towards McGregor needs to be tempered with the fact that the Warriors traditionally reserved its worst performances against the Dragons.

Manly at Brookie, Cows first half was pretty impressive as well no?

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
The more I think about Field playing fullback for us the more I like it. We may have a superstar on our hands. I want him playing a full game each week in reserves, until he is ready. I don't want him sitting on the sideline for 70 minutes and getting a 10 minute run each week. I would not even try to sign another fullback for next year, I would pin my faith in Field and Dufty. I would however want to get another good prop to replace Packer. I think Field could be a sensation playing behind a dominate pack and dominate pair of halves. I think we are in the right position to blood either Field or Dufty.

So Mr Dugan departs? No big issue really. He gets a 4 year gig and good on him. He leaves a team that is starting a rebuild and goes to a team that will start to slide. That is the way of the salary cap (except for the Storm, Bronco’s, Bulldogs and Roosters).

In any event I don’t sense any great anguish amongst supporters because I suspect that the solution is right under our noses. Why not play either of the young boys (Dufty or Field) at fullback in attack and have Mr Nightingale drop back in defense to fullback?

I was advocating that Nightingale was probably needing to be moved on at the end of 2017 but perhaps he has a role to play for another year or so in guiding the next young fullback into 1st grade (at least defensively).

What either of the two young fullbacks give you is that indisputable weapon; SPEED. As the great Bob Fulton said many years ago “you can’t coach speed”. Speed terrifies defenses particularly in the 2nd half and more so as the interchange get reduced again next year. You simply cannot adjust as a tiring defender.

I am now about to show my age but I remember an interview with Steve Morris back in late 1979 when he was asked after a particular game why he didn’t start running the football until the 60th minute. He replied that Harry Bath told him to simply pass the ball for the 1st 60 minutes and then with 20 minutes to go his job was to look for a tired forward who was sitting on his heels and he had to run directly at that players outside shoulder. Gone baby gone. And what a sight it was!

So after reminiscing somewhat my solution is to give Nightingale another year and get him to assist with the defensive fullback duties and get young of the super quick young guns ready for the fullback jumper for 2018.
Great post mate!

giboz71

First Grade
The more I think about Field playing fullback for us the more I like it. We may have a superstar on our hands. I want him playing a full game each week in reserves, until he is ready. I don't want him sitting on the sideline for 70 minutes and getting a 10 minute run each week. I would not even try to sign another fullback for next year, I would pin my faith in Field and Dufty. I would however want to get another good prop to replace Packer. I think Field could be a sensation playing behind a dominate pack and dominate pair of halves. I think we are in the right position to blood either Field or Dufty.

I like the look of Field too. Marsters won the game for 20's on Friday. And apparently, Dufty had a blinder for the Cutters yesterday, And we've all seen what Kurt Mann is capable of.

There is a vacancy at FB next year, so you don't think these guys will be champing at the bit for the rest of the year?

With these guys as options, not sure why people are surprised we didn't offer Duges a 4 year deal.

Drag Queen

Bench
Is that all we have, We're f**ked.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Mann nighty or dufty for fb
Look its odds on that Duges will finish at FB....and when hes not then Nighty will be the first one chosen....thats the Mary way......in the meantime I would like to see young Mann put some more muscle on......perfect opportunity and incentive now that Josh is moving......I say muscle because at times the fullback cops plenty from the high ball and really gets smashed with kick return...if you look at fullbacks like Cootes Gordon Slater, Boyd etc their not overly big but they are experienced and battled hardened a quality that young Mann will grow into