What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2017

MilkShark

First Grade
Lol

It's so easy to jump on the we hate woods bandwagon (I've bagged him all year ffs)

But he always plays good at this level

Based on your argument you don't pick Hayne, Morris, Klemmer, Ferguson, or Jackson either because there are players in those positions playing a lot
Better also (with the exception of Ferguson maybe)
I don't follow others. I've been calling for Woods head for years now.

Hayne, Morris and Ferguson have all delivered. You can't compare the plodder Woods to those guys.

Jackson is more comparable to Woods, and guess what, I don;t rate Jackson either.

Clifferd

Coach
I don't follow others. I've been calling for Woods head for years now.

Hayne, Morris and Ferguson have all delivered. You can't compare the plodder Woods to those guys.

Jackson is more comparable to Woods, and guess what, I don;t rate Jackson either.

You can't really compare positions, especially a prop forward compared to outside backs

I'll trust your judgement over professional rugby league rep coaches though. I'm sure you know a lot more than they do

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
1. Tedesco
2. Hayne
3. Walker
4. Bird
5. Ferguson / Trobjevic (would prefer trobjevic here but agree Ferg will get picked)
6. Moylan
7. Maloney
8. Klemmer
9. McInnis/Peats/Wallace anyone but Farah its time to move on. Pretty thin here though. Peats or McInnis with an eye to the future
10. Fifita
11. Cordner (c)
12. Frizzell
13. Trobjevic

14. Graham
15. Merrin
16. Boyd
17. Mclean

Just Some Notes

- Assuming a Teddy Hayne Fergo back three we will have really good metres coming out of our own end
- QLD as going to be pretty thin in the forwards and that pack + bench can really hurt them with size, skill, footwork and offloads
- Time to move on from Farah Pearce Tamou and to a lesser extent Jennings, Jackson and Brett Morris who would still not look completely out of place. in fact if Hayne looks fat and disinterested BMoz could definitely slot straight back in on that wing.
-- if you wanted a utility on the bench id be looking at a Blake Austin type. someone with good football instincts who runs the ball well. No doubt our selectors will go for a completely f**king useless selection a la walker Idris Jmoz though
- Merrin is a tough one I don't think his form has been as bad as everyone seems to think especially in a team no going very well. What do they say though? Form is temporary Class is permanent.
- Would also be happy with JDB or Vaughn on that bench
- Assuming Dugan is Injured
- In my mind there's really no other options in the halves that don't involve Pearce. Maybe Bird at 5/8 to squeeze Dugan in with Moylan missing out? f**ks me

In conclusion there's 70 different possible combinations hedged multiple ways.. ha-ha

Apologies for the requote more for reference while im typing this

In my opinion overall its a pretty good team. Observations

- I think carrying JTrob and Jackson in the same team is a mistake. On 360 last night apparently this is sterling's theory about having a smaller more mobile forward pack which I don't agree with. Origins are won up the middle and big guys with size speed and footwork like Vaughn Fifita Frizell Merrin JDB Mclean etc are invaluable.

- I prefer Hayne on the wing as above. Centre is the toughest position to defend on the field especially with Boyd wrapping around the back for QLD. if you were going to play bird as the utility then for me walker comes in on one side with Hayne with Dugan and Fergo on the other side. Morris misses out. in saying that I hope Hayne has a throwback to the one game he's played at centre for NSW before where he looked dangerous as f**k. Morris is still quality and wont let us down.

- Pearce is there because outside of playing Moylan and Maloney (which pretty much got hit on the head at CvC when they put him at fullback) there isn't any other options. he's been playing well for us so lets hope he carries the form across.

- Glad they have moved on from Farah Tamou and to a lesser extent Jennings

Always going to be tough with 2 games in QLD but this team has a chance

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Who gives a sh1t who was player of the series last year.
Wade is not out of form. Jackson in form is making lots of tackles and average soft runs. scoring no points and not assisting in any points either.
Defensively they're both sound. Jackson will tackle all day but that's it. Wouldn't you want a backrower that can pass and kick like a half? Jackson offers none of that, he is very 1 dimensional.
Pick Graham starting and watch him destroy Milford every time he gets the ball.
I'm going to fall asleep watching Jackson make 498 tackles.

player of series means you've already performed on a higher stage

i didn't say wade is out of form, i said he's gone off the purple patch that got him into the side, and jackson is now in better current form.

the rest is your opinion, and the point is it's not clear cut as you make it out to be.

MilkShark

First Grade
You can't really compare positions, especially a prop forward compared to outside backs

I'll trust your judgement over professional rugby league rep coaches though. I'm sure you know a lot more than they do
Ha! I know alot more than alot of the so-called experts in here.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
more from daley on vaughn's ommission:

"All those guys have played really well for their clubs and that's what we want to see," Daley said.

"A couple of those guys (McLean and de Belin) that have been rewarded in this extended squad have played well now for 18 months and that's what you want to see.

"Guys that don't just play well for a period of time, you want to see them play well for a year, 18 months. Once you know they're consistent at clubland by doing that then you know they're ready for the next level and that's why those guys have been included [ahead of Vaughan]."

"We've got plenty of depth so the challenge for players this year is to not feel comfortable because we've got players underneath and we probably haven't had that in the past," Daley said.

"We've got a good group of players to choose from, the ball's in their court. They know now they have to perform. If they don't we've got other people ready to go. That's the pressure we've been looking to build internally in our squad.

"I don't know whether we've had that group of players in the past where we can make a lot of changes.

"This year there's been a lot of guys that are unlucky to miss selection but that's what you want, you want them to be hungry as well and you want them to make sure when their opportunity arises they're ready to take it."

"People keep forgetting that Origin is a different game to clubland and experience counts for a lot. Never underestimate experience in a big game like this," he said.

"If you're putting in a team of rookies you want to be sure that they're going to go on and become genuine superstars because if you don't you can wreck their career. That's what you've got to be careful of, that's what I've always been careful of and I'll continue to do that."

that's plenty more explanation than some people deserve... he really didn't need to justify that.

move on fellas.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
What's the go With DOGS AND EELS? Even bunniesman had the deceny to stop following his old team before he switched. How the f**k can you support two teams?

MilkShark

First Grade
Everyone on LU thinks they're the real expert and everyone else is a moron though.
Especially me.
Yep, half the crap I read is laughable. They're the same people that think Fitler and Gould are rugby league geniuses and the footy show is a great tv program.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Vaughan has been consistently good long term. Daley is full of shit.

Edit: If Dugan is so hampered, why wasn't someone else selected?

MilkShark

First Grade
player of series means you've already performed on a higher stage

i didn't say wade is out of form, i said he's gone off the purple patch that got him into the side, and jackson is now in better current form.

the rest is your opinion, and the point is it's not clear cut as you make it out to be.
Well lets see how we go.

I just want to win. I don't care that Graham is from my team, i'd rather no sharks were selected at all.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
some of the whingers on here are the ones responsible for the likes of jamie buhrer and jarrod mullen

daley has effectively said form alone won't earn selection.

Clifferd

Coach
Yep, half the crap I read is laughable. They're the same people that think Fitler and Gould are rugby league geniuses and the footy show is a great tv program.

I don't watch the footy show. Got better things to do like defend Aaron woods selection ;)

I've met Gould & Fitler years ago for possible & probable origin coaching camps and whilst they seem like a fish out of water on tv they are pretty intelligent when it comes to rl knowledge. What you see on tv is literally less than 5% of what they are like in person

Latest posts