What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best 17 going forward as from next week

franklin2323

Immortal
Bullshit, that has happened once after Cartwright and Wallace went off injured. If you think our style of play is comparable to Melbourne you are kidding yourself, we play nothing like them. Tohu Harris was a stop gap paired with one of if not the best controlling halfback in the game for one of the most structured and well coached teams in the comp. The situations aren't similar at all.

Watch Peachey's try v Warriors again then. Moylan was in the line DWZ fullback and Whare on the wing

franklin2323

Immortal
Just got on my phone. Betcats has made the point.

In attack we have Moylan playing 5/8, Cleary as halfback, Cartwright as a ball playing forward. Kind of reminds me of a lock forward and no fullback. In defence they go to their positions as per the number on their back excluding the rare occurrence of DWZ at FB and Moylan in the line but I've only seen it once.

Cody Walker at Souths plays the same role as Moylan as a Fullback. Hardly call Maguire a dud coach.

DWZ scored a try chasing a grubber on the weekend from FB. Last try v Warriors he was FB. I remember Moylan also putting a hit on Johnson from in the line that game too.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
The fact that Griffin's coaching is basically "f**k it, what did we do last time we were winning? Let's just do that again" rather than having any actual game plan or squad management skills says it all, really.

mxlegend99

Referee
The fact that Griffin's coaching is basically "f**k it, what did we do last time we were winning? Let's just do that again" rather than having any actual game plan or squad management skills says it all, really.
But even worse he plays favorites before this attitude.

Hiku and Whare have been top 17 certainties. At no point has he considered last years centre pairing since Round 1. First Whare pushed Blake out of the centres. Then Hiku pushed Peachey to the bench.

But neither has been impressive for us and a good game simply means they werent bad.

Why not pick a team based on best players in positions first and eliminate them from other positions as you go. Start with your halves and work your way out to the wing. Stop trying to fit a team around guys who havent been above average in 2+ years.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I just cannot understand this thinking:

1. We want Moylan to play as a half in attack.
2. Having three halves gums up the attack.

Solution: Play Moylan at fullback at use a forward in the halves.

I will never, ever understand the basic principles at work in Griffin's thinking here. And that's without going into the fact that:

(a) having Moylan at fullback means he is loaded with two very important jobs in the spine at once
(b) Moylan has some significant flaws at fullback
(c) we have two players who are ready to step in and give full back a shot (DWZ and Edwards)
(d) we have a shitload of backline cover
(e) having Cartwright at 6 has stunted his development enormously (+ the injuries, of course)
(f) Moylan played well as a 6 is SOO
(g) Martin seems to be on the outer
(h) Cleary needs a stable partner next to him, not a rotation of forwards
(i) We've played like shit this season with Moylan at fullback

There is absolutely ZERO reason not to try Moylan there and see what happens, especially when looking to the future and trying to set the squad up for a shot at the comp next year or the year after. If he has a few games there and sucks at it, then we're all wrong and so be it, move him back. Lesson learned, go on to the next plan. But not even TRYING it? That's criminal negligence right there.

betcats

Referee

I will never, ever understand the basic principles at work in Griffin's thinking here. And that's without going into the fact that:

(a) having Moylan at fullback means he is loaded with two very important jobs in the spine at once
(c) we have two players who are ready to step in and give full back a shot (DWZ and Edwards)
(e) having Cartwright at 6 has stunted his development enormously (+ the injuries, of course)

There is absolutely ZERO reason not to try Moylan there and see what happens, especially when looking to the future and trying to set the squad up for a shot at the comp next year or the year after. If he has a few games there and sucks at it, then we're all wrong and so be it, move him back. Lesson learned, go on to the next plan. But not even TRYING it? That's criminal negligence right there.

Yep there are so many OBVIOUS reasons to just try Moylan at 6 and no obvious ones to leave him at fullback as far as I can see.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep there are so many OBVIOUS reasons to just try Moylan at 6 and no obvious ones to leave him at fullback as far as I can see.

How about the person who's job is actually on the line wants him fullback? Bottom line is we can whinge and whine all we want. If it fails Griffin is unemployed and being the cut throat industry I doubt he gets another gig. So why we don't see his reasoning there has to be a reason behind it

franklin2323

Immortal

Moylan is hardly a terrible fullback though. Sure he is slow and can be out of position but he is no worse then atleast half of the fullbacks in the comp. He has no trouble being involved as it is.

We struggle against good defensive teams. Even if Moylan is 6 he still relies on the tip on and sweeping plays alot. Whether it is a 6 or a Fullback we need another option to help out. We should of bought an older head in either position over the off season.

We are really being made pay for that now

betcats

Referee
Moylan is hardly a terrible fullback though. Sure he is slow and can be out of position but he is no worse then atleast half of the fullbacks in the comp. He has no trouble being involved as it is.

We struggle against good defensive teams. Even if Moylan is 6 he still relies on the tip on and sweeping plays alot. Whether it is a 6 or a Fullback we need another option to help out. We should of bought an older head in either position over the off season.

We are really being made pay for that now

I agree that he isn't a bad fullback. He is just not great defensively, I don't see any other flaws, his kick returns don't bother me at all like they do most people here. If we had TMM or another good 5/8th playing well and the team firing then that would be one thing. But TMM has been out the last few weeks and we have had Bryce misfiring most of the time, I just cant cop that.

betcats

Referee
How about the person who's job is actually on the line wants him fullback? Bottom line is we can whinge and whine all we want. If it fails Griffin is unemployed and being the cut throat industry I doubt he gets another gig. So why we don't see his reasoning there has to be a reason behind it

That's why I said there is no obvious reasoning. And as for griffin living and dying by his decisions, I am not so sure that is the case with Griffin. I think even if we finish in the bottom four the club and gus wont sack him, they will continue with the excuses. I think unless the situation gets really ugly(we were 40 minutes away from that two weeks ago) the best we can hope four is that he wont be resigned.

mxlegend99

Referee
How is his job on the line? Gus sacked Cleary specifically to bring Griffin in. Griffin is bullet proof for the length of his contract. Gus has already come out defending our shit season trying to blame injuries to players from last season, Carty being injured, Mansour being injured, squad being young and so on.

But at the end of the day we have a better fit squad available this year then we did last year. Our squad is older and more experienced then last year. All his excuses are lame as hell and show that he isn't willing to consider that he got it wrong anytime soon.

The club is even talking about extending his contract despite the fact we look like the top 8 isn't happening this season. Gus is stubborn enough to double down on this and make things even worse in the hopes we get another good season in and he can cling to being right.

Griffin is just as stubborn as Gus... he made up his mind day 1 that Moylan was never going to be our 5/8th and he will not change his mind. Considering how stubborn he has been so far, there's just no way he would risk that move. Moylan could become the next Lockyer at 5/8th and it would make Griffin look stupid for not trying it last season when we had moved Soward on and TMM was injured.

I don't think Moylan will ever be named at 6 so long as Griffin is our coach. TMM is still ahead of him even if we are trying to get rid of him.

OldPanther

Coach
How is his job on the line? Gus sacked Cleary specifically to bring Griffin in. Griffin is bullet proof for the length of his contract. Gus has already come out defending our shit season trying to blame injuries to players from last season, Carty being injured, Mansour being injured, squad being young and so on.

But at the end of the day we have a better fit squad available this year then we did last year. Our squad is older and more experienced then last year. All his excuses are lame as hell and show that he isn't willing to consider that he got it wrong anytime soon.

The club is even talking about extending his contract despite the fact we look like the top 8 isn't happening this season. Gus is stubborn enough to double down on this and make things even worse in the hopes we get another good season in and he can cling to being right.

Griffin is just as stubborn as Gus... he made up his mind day 1 that Moylan was never going to be our 5/8th and he will not change his mind. Considering how stubborn he has been so far, there's just no way he would risk that move. Moylan could become the next Lockyer at 5/8th and it would make Griffin look stupid for not trying it last season when we had moved Soward on and TMM was injured.

I don't think Moylan will ever be named at 6 so long as Griffin is our coach. TMM is still ahead of him even if we are trying to get rid of him.

That's the sad part. It really seems like nothing but stubbornness. We lose nothing as a club trying it at this point.

kinghippo

Juniors
Griffin won't pick Moylan at 5/8 he hasn't done so yet so why start now? He will probably channel Brian Smith and pick Hiku there instead. Anything to keep his buddy in firsts.
Don't laugh its entirely possible with his mind.
I can't get this horrible thought out of my head.

TheFrog

Coach
How is his job on the line?
If he fails at Penrith and is sacked, where is his next job going to be? Stacking shelves at Woolies? I don't think it will be first grade head coach in the NRL.

I think even if we finish in the bottom four the club and gus wont sack him

I don't think so either, but he'd have to have a damn good 2018 to get an extension. Having gone down this road before (presumably at considerable expense to the club), I'd be surprised if Gould could show Griffin the door even if he wanted to. The club might be financially in reasonable shape but that doesn't mean they can afford on a regular basis to just pay people six figure sums not to turn up at the joint.

Last edited: