What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best 17 going forward as from next week

mxlegend99

Referee
If he fails at Penrith and is sacked, where is his next job going to be? Stacking shelves at Woolies? I don't think it will be first grade head coach in the NRL.
He failed at Broncos and Gus sacked Cleary to bring him here.

Matt Elliott got a job after failing with us.
Jason Taylor had several jobs.
Ricky Stuart was a constant failure.

Some club will hire him no matter what happens with us. Although being stubborn and not trying something painfully obvious like Moylan at 6 would hurt his chances at a future if anything.

Everyone can see it... he refuses to do it. But is more than happy to use halves with limited ability instead.

Hook used Hoffman at 6 and moved Norman to 1... everyone was convinced Corey Norman was a shit player back then. He looked it before moving away from Griffin.

Same thing will happen with Moylan and Cartwright with us. Hes ruining their careers by not playing them where they can thrive.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I wish we could just get an explanation of why we haven't tried Moylan in the 6. Straight from the coach's mouth with honesty. Just help us to understand.

Because without that it sure looks like he's just pig-headed and incompetent.

I like the sentiment, but I don't really think it is feasible. What if he doesn't want to move him because he thinks Moylan's a shit defender? Or that Edwards is out of his depth? You can't really as a coach come out and bag players like that.

I mean, I think he's wrong, but I can see why he's not especially keen to come out and honestly explain why he is doing what he is doing.

OldPanther

Coach
He failed at Broncos and Gus sacked Cleary to bring him here.

Matt Elliott got a job after failing with us.
Jason Taylor had several jobs.
Ricky Stuart was a constant failure.

Some club will hire him no matter what happens with us. Although being stubborn and not trying something painfully obvious like Moylan at 6 would hurt his chances at a future if anything.

Everyone can see it... he refuses to do it. But is more than happy to use halves with limited ability instead.

Hook used Hoffman at 6 and moved Norman to 1... everyone was convinced Corey Norman was a shit player back then. He looked it before moving away from Griffin.

Same thing will happen with Moylan and Cartwright with us. Hes ruining their careers by not playing them where they can thrive.

Does anyone one know why? Is he worried about being looking foolish if trying new things works? Does he genuinely read the game differently?

I like the sentiment, but I don't really think it is feasible. What if he doesn't want to move him because he thinks Moylan's a shit defender? Or that Edwards is out of his depth? You can't really as a coach come out and bag players like that.

I mean, I think he's wrong, but I can see why he's not especially keen to come out and honestly explain why he is doing what he is doing.

He throws players into different positions all the time. Despite lack of experience or talent but he simply wont make the one obvious move. Beyond logic

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree that he isn't a bad fullback. He is just not great defensively, I don't see any other flaws, his kick returns don't bother me at all like they do most people here. If we had TMM or another good 5/8th playing well and the team firing then that would be one thing. But TMM has been out the last few weeks and we have had Bryce misfiring most of the time, I just cant cop that.

These days the halfback and 5/8th are split one on the left and one on the right. Whereas a fullback can slip into either side. This is main reason I think he won't move him throw in he is safe under the highball and with Mansour/DWZ on the wings we gain plenty of metres to start the sets. There really is enough either way to leave it as is

franklin2323

Immortal
How is his job on the line? Gus sacked Cleary specifically to bring Griffin in. Griffin is bullet proof for the length of his contract. Gus has already come out defending our shit season trying to blame injuries to players from last season, Carty being injured, Mansour being injured, squad being young and so on.

But at the end of the day we have a better fit squad available this year then we did last year. Our squad is older and more experienced then last year. All his excuses are lame as hell and show that he isn't willing to consider that he got it wrong anytime soon.

The club is even talking about extending his contract despite the fact we look like the top 8 isn't happening this season. Gus is stubborn enough to double down on this and make things even worse in the hopes we get another good season in and he can cling to being right.

Griffin is just as stubborn as Gus... he made up his mind day 1 that Moylan was never going to be our 5/8th and he will not change his mind. Considering how stubborn he has been so far, there's just no way he would risk that move. Moylan could become the next Lockyer at 5/8th and it would make Griffin look stupid for not trying it last season when we had moved Soward on and TMM was injured.

I don't think Moylan will ever be named at 6 so long as Griffin is our coach. TMM is still ahead of him even if we are trying to get rid of him.

Would you be happy if Moylan was playing on the one side of the field? as halves do these days? I like having him on both sides. That is what shits me about Cartwright in the 6. If he was lock he could play both sides and be not so isolated in defence.

For starters last year he gained more metres than Coote and Barba both were fine in premiership winning teams. Safe under the high ball most sets we gain 20m from the 1st 2 tackles. Sure that is due to Mansour/DWZ.

So I can see why he might keep him at FB. though should be a long term plan to find a 5/8th if he wants Moylan to stay FB. Gus has Fired Elliott and Cleary in his time. Cleary was signed by him so it is not like he doesn't have history.

Bottom line is we have a top 4 roster. Most coaches would kill to have such talent to use. Anything short of finals will put him under pressure next year a slow start in 2018 will be have him at Centrelink. The board aren't spending all this money on failure they have the final say on it all

franklin2323

Immortal
I wish we could just get an explanation of why we haven't tried Moylan in the 6. Straight from the coach's mouth with honesty. Just help us to understand.

Because without that it sure looks like he's just pig-headed and incompetent.

It doesn't bother me to hear it or not. Given most of this side is locked up long term. I want to know the plan for the 6 long term Moylan at FB doesn't bother me the lack of a plan for a 5/8th is

mxlegend99

Referee
Would you be happy if Moylan was playing on the one side of the field? as halves do these days? I like having him on both sides. That is what shits me about Cartwright in the 6. If he was lock he could play both sides and be not so isolated in defence.

For starters last year he gained more metres than Coote and Barba both were fine in premiership winning teams. Safe under the high ball most sets we gain 20m from the 1st 2 tackles. Sure that is due to Mansour/DWZ.

So I can see why he might keep him at FB. though should be a long term plan to find a 5/8th if he wants Moylan to stay FB. Gus has Fired Elliott and Cleary in his time. Cleary was signed by him so it is not like he doesn't have history.

Bottom line is we have a top 4 roster. Most coaches would kill to have such talent to use. Anything short of finals will put him under pressure next year a slow start in 2018 will be have him at Centrelink. The board aren't spending all this money on failure they have the final say on it all
Gus didn't fire Elliott. Elliott was sacked and then Gus was brought in.

Theres no reason that Moylan would be tied to one side of the field. We dont have game plans so he can do as he pleases on both sides of the field. The best halves pop up everywhere and he would be no different.

betcats

Referee

Cleary, TMM and Cartwright all play both sides, I don't see why Moylan would be restricted.

franklin2323

Immortal
Franklin you have brought up the one sidenof the field thing before and its nonsense. Absolutely no reason he would have to play that way

of course there is no reason to do it. It is just the way it is done though to stop both halves being caught on the one side on the last

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
He wouldn't be. Griffin doesn't do it with the team now so I doubt he changes it just because Moylan goes to 6.

Yeo changed sides to help out TMM. Why would he do that if he could go both sides?

That was for defence granted but against Parra and Warriors Cartwright only stayed on the left. Seems Cleary goes right side. TMM/Cartwright left and Moylan goes either. It is about the only structure we have from there it seems to be anything goes

OldPanther

Coach
Yeo changed sides to help out TMM. Why would he do that if he could go both sides?

That was for defence granted but against Parra and Warriors Cartwright only stayed on the left. Seems Cleary goes right side. TMM/Cartwright left and Moylan goes either. It is about the only structure we have from there it seems to be anything goes

You said what my response would be. That it's for defence.

I could be mistaken but I'm sure I've seen cleary and Carty on the opposite sides. Maybe not very regularly and Cleary a bit more than Carty/TMM.

franklin2323

Immortal
You said what my response would be. That it's for defence.

I could be mistaken but I'm sure I've seen cleary and Carty on the opposite sides. Maybe not very regularly and Cleary a bit more than Carty/TMM.

It isn't NFL though. Defence and attack often go together when you are watching SOO next week notice how Papaali and Milford will be next to each other in defence and attack. For NSW Pearce/Cordner if there is a repeat set or after a penalty they will be on the same side as you can plan that. The speed of the game doesn't allow for it the rest of the time

These days the halfback and 5/8th are split one on the left and one on the right. Whereas a fullback can slip into either side. This is main reason I think he won't move him throw in he is safe under the highball and with Mansour/DWZ on the wings we gain plenty of metres to start the sets. There really is enough either way to leave it as is

The split thing isn't always the case though. It relies on the idea that the ball is in the centre of the field all the time, it's not. Hence there is still a dominant receiver, the halfback.

betcats

Referee
It isn't NFL though. Defence and attack often go together when you are watching SOO next week notice how Papaali and Milford will be next to each other in defence and attack. For NSW Pearce/Cordner if there is a repeat set or after a penalty they will be on the same side as you can plan that. The speed of the game doesn't allow for it the rest of the time

You are talking about attacking structure which all teams have to some degree, it doesn't mean the halves are locked in those spots though, most coaches don't force their halves to stay on one side anymore, it was popular for a couple years when every team was trying to be Melbourne and just run set block plays whenever they had the ball. Watching games now most if not all halves will follow the ball. When the ball gets to certain spots on the field they will set up for their set plays(except us because we have none) but as often as not both halves will be on the same side of the ruck.