What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed: ENG V NZ Annual Mid Season Test from 2018

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Great news! It's actually a sanctioned international weekend right across the game. This will give us a lot of activity from all nations with very strong squads available. I hope the stand alone origin week works out well for the NRL so that in the future we get three stand alone weekends that other nations can also play fixtures on.

jim_57

Staff member
Awesome. Would love to see this turn in to a staple event on the calendar for NZ fans. Be interesting to see what venue they go for, I'd like to see them go big with Eden Park after the conservative WC venues.

Origin
NZ V England
Pacific Tests

Hopefully a few more teams can organise games, would be good to Lebanon play a full strength test in Sydney.

8Ball

First Grade
Seems like a serious push to promote international rugby league from all quarters lately. Good stuff

roughyedspud

Coach
the pacific tests are played in australia because of money and some need to stop being so precious about it!

would you rather have 20,000 turning up in OZ paying $15-30 to watch it or would you rather it be in port moresby or suva and have punters paying $5?

Not only could they get more in POM just for a PNG game, they'd be paying more than $5. Hunters game tickets are around $AU12. They could play Tonga v Samoa in western Sydney and get 15k and PNG could play someone else and get whatever the ground can hold in POM.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Thats some great f*ckcing news...

A 3 match series beside Origin would be best, but i understand that might be too much for the English team

Burns

First Grade
So where will the Test be played in NZ? At the Caketin in Wellington?

Will it depend if this is a 2017 WC Replay? (I know, I know, wishful thinking)

Coastbloke

Bench
Dunedin. It's not getting a RLWC match and it's too good a stadium to ignore.
Mt Smart's asthetics entrench the belief our International game is amatuer hour.
Dunedin looks impressive and will look good on TV. (Sorry Spud :laughing:)

As far as I can tell the biggest crowd ever between England/GB and NZ in NZ is 21k. If they won't take games to bigger venues for the WC, even the semi, there's not much point taking a random one off test anywhere but Mt Smart or somewhere smaller.

Pommy

Coach
Play it in Auckland there's always been talk NZRL need to make some cash.
Plus there's plenty easy flights from oz for me. That being the most important issue.

Latest posts