What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Hour NRL channel

nrlnrl

First Grade
I'm not sure of the situation the nrl has with IP rights with games in the past, but let's hope that when the nrl has a fall library of every game ever played and highlights of tries/tackles, origins, internationals that's when they make a big push in the digital media area. As a paid up digital nrl member having access to that would be awesome. Being able to watch any game and at any time would a big plus.
1999 was the first season all games were shown in full, so the list isn't that big.

El Diablo

Post Whore
all games were shown in 98 on Optus, Foxtel and 9

in 97 all SL games were shown on 9 and Foxtel and all ARL games were shown on Optus and 9

pretty sure in 96 all games were shown on Optus and 9

1st & 10

Juniors
Optus had a league channel during super league it was great

I want to see more historical games. I want to hear Rex mossop .

nrlnrl

First Grade
all games were shown in 98 on Optus, Foxtel and 9

in 97 all SL games were shown on 9 and Foxtel and all ARL games were shown on Optus and 9

pretty sure in 96 all games were shown on Optus and 9
Sorry, but that's incorrect. As you know, there were 10 games each round & not all games were broadcast. I'm not sure if it was 1 or 2 games per round, but I can list some examples:
Round 10 - Parramatta v Adelaide at Parkes - it was Nathan Hindmarsh's first grade debut
Round 12 - Penrith v North Queensland - the biggest comeback in NRL history. Cowboys were down 26-0 & won 36-28.

I know someone who asked for a copy of these games & was told by the NRL these games were not covered for tv broadcast. They also mentioned that not all games were covered in each round in 1998, 1997 & 1996 as my friend asked about games from those years. I'd told him that, but he didn't believe me.

undertaker

Coach
Sorry, but that's incorrect. As you know, there were 10 games each round & not all games were broadcast. I'm not sure if it was 1 or 2 games per round, but I can list some examples:
Round 10 - Parramatta v Adelaide at Parkes - it was Nathan Hindmarsh's first grade debut
Round 12 - Penrith v North Queensland - the biggest comeback in NRL history. Cowboys were down 26-0 & won 36-28.

I know someone who asked for a copy of these games & was told by the NRL these games were not covered for tv broadcast. They also mentioned that not all games were covered in each round in 1998, 1997 & 1996 as my friend asked about games from those years. I'd told him that, but he didn't believe me.

Let's test out my memory here....correct me if I'm wrong

1999 was the first year that all NRL games were televised on Ch9/Fox/Optus, when it was 8 games/round, like it is now. If my memory serves me correctly, Western Suburbs vs Penrith Rd 24 1998 was the last first-grade game to not receive any tv coverage/broadcast.

In 1996 (first year PayTV covered the game), 10 games/round, 3 covered by Ch9 (Fri night/Sat arvo/Sun 1hr highlights which switched to Monday Night halfway through the season), 2 by Optus (Sat night/Sun arvo, both live. Also all Warriors home games as well). People living in teams based in regional areas got at least their home games covered by the regional affiliates whenever Ch9 Sydney/Optus didn't cover them (Newcastle by NBN, Nth QLD by WIN, Brisbane by Channel 9 Brisbane, WA Reds by Channel 9 Perth etc.). Newcastle also had their away games covered by NBN. Sky NZ covered all home and away Warriors games. I was just reading through some posts from an old archived RL forum from 1996 on this topic, and will link some posts to what people were saying at the time when I get time.

In 1997 SL year, all 5 SL games/round were covered (4 by Fox (one of the Sunday games replaced by ABC), Monday night by Ch9), but in the ARL, there was at least one per round that wasn't covered, sometimes two (Fri night/Sat arvo by Ch9, Sat night/Sunday live by Optus, sometimes a 2nd (delayed) game by Optus on the Sunday)

In 1998, of the 10 games/round, on average, 2 were by Ch9 (Fri night/Sunday), 6 were shared between Fox/Optus, leaving 2 that weren't televised and only had ground footage used for news bulletins and judiciary. One of those were generally on a Sunday, as seen in Illawarra vs Nth QLD below, where it is just one camera mounted high up in the grandstand:

You mentioned of Hindmarsh's debut in Parkes in 1998. That was one of 4 NRL games that were played in country/regional areas that year: the others being Wagga Wagga, Cootamundra and Whyalla of all places. None of those were televised.

Hopefully with City-Country now gorrrrrrrrne from the calendar, more NRL games will be played in regional areas, and THIS time, they are televised.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
1999 was the first season all games were shown in full, so the list isn't that big.

I'm sure that Fox has an archive of all the games they've ever covered since 1997, as well as access to not just Ch9's archives, but also Optus when they covered matches during 1996-2000, NBN when they covered Newcastle Knights games, WIN when they covered Nth QLD matches etc. etc.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I'm sure that Fox has an archive of all the games they've ever covered since 1997, as well as access to not just Ch9's archives, but also Optus when they covered matches during 1996-2000, NBN when they covered Newcastle Knights games, WIN when they covered Nth QLD matches etc. etc.
Thanks for the effort in explaining those years in the 90's. Sorry, didn't explain my response very well. When I said the list wouldn't be that big, that was in relation to seasons when all games were broadcast in full. (hence the reference to 1999)

El Diablo

Post Whore
You mentioned of Hindmarsh's debut in Parkes in 1998. That was one of 4 NRL games that were played in country/regional areas that year: the others being Wagga Wagga, Cootamundra and Whyalla of all places. None of those were televised.
pretty sure the only reason they weren't televised is because the clubs would have had to pay production costs which isn't cheap

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good to see them showing the English championship games live last night. Shame they haven't picked up the french league rights.

beave

Coach
pretty sure the only reason they weren't televised is because the clubs would have had to pay production costs which isn't cheap

The biggest comeback in first grade history (it has been equalled now) is NQ v Penrith at Penrith Park in 1998. It wasn't televised on fox (or WIN in NQ)either mate. 10 games a weekend would have been hard to cover in 1998. I know that the only footage of that game I mention is from a lone Panthers owned camera up in the western stand. Whenever various football shows mention that game and show footage, its from that one camera and not a full blown pro production.

I personally remember the game well as I had just moved to Sydney and copped an absolute barrage of abuse from the Panthers fans around me at half time (we were losing 26-0) but I got to give it back in spades by fulltime as NQ won 36-28.

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
The biggest comeback in first grade history (it has been equalled now) is NQ v Penrith at Penrith Park in 1998. It wasn't televised on fox (or WIN in NQ)either mate. 10 games a weekend would have been hard to cover in 1998. I know that the only footage of that game I mention is from a lone Panthers owned camera up in the western stand. Whenever various football shows mention that game and show footage, its from that one camera and not a full blown pro production.
Thanks for the info re the game I mentioned in post #749. I should've referred to it as the biggest comeback to win in NRL history (Penrith's 26 point comeback in 2009 resulted in a draw with the Warriors).

I've never seen footage of the 1998 comeback. Do you remember which show or shows you saw it on?

beave

Coach
Thanks for the info re the game I mentioned in post #749. I should've referred to it as the biggest comeback to win in NRL history (Penrith's 26 point comeback in 2009 resulted in a draw with the Warriors).

I've never seen footage of the 1998 comeback. Do you remember which show or shows you saw it on?

I think Boots and All or the Sunday Roast did a little thing on it a few years ago, and even they mentioned how hard it was to get any footage from that game as it wasn't televised. The main footage that they show is of Ray Mercy as he scored 4 trys that night which has never been bettered by any NQ player.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
My point still stands. Why can't the nrl digital dept show every arl/nrl/qrl/nswrl/origin/test match ever recorded in a Nrl media Library. Optus/Telstra/channel 9/ channel 7/ABC/Foxtel any broadcaster that has shown rugby league. I understand It would be hard to collate it all but it would be great to see and have. After all its rugby league IP isnt it?

If there was no recordings of the game, we can't do too much about that but even photos could be used on important games that were before tv.

undertaker

Coach

True.

I highly doubt those grounds back in 1998 - and maybe still today - had proper broadcasting facilities, especially for the video referee as it was the 2nd year it was used (debuted during 1997 SL). Very same reason the 2015 Cricket World Cup didn't have matches in regional areas such as Berri, Mackay, Pukekura Park etc. like they did in 1992. Grounds didn't have to meet particular standards like they do now in the multi-billion dollar tv right era. It'd cost even more money just to hire a big screen for replays and technology for video referee to use only for one game.

Of those 4 regional games, the one that has always fascinated me the most was the one in Whyalla. Whyalla is a good 400km or so away from Adelaide in stronghold AFL territory, yet it still drew 5,153 on a Saturday arvo (presumably with little promotion, which is very typical of the NRL). Why a game was taken that far off the beaten track, I'll never know, but nevertheless interesting that the NRL approved games held in those locations back then. Can't find any news clippings or info from those games, other than the score summary.

I personally remember the game well as I had just moved to Sydney and copped an absolute barrage of abuse from the Panthers fans around me at half time (we were losing 26-0) but I got to give it back in spades by fulltime as NQ won 36-28.

My point still stands. Why can't the nrl digital dept show every arl/nrl/qrl/nswrl/origin/test match ever recorded in a Nrl media Library. Optus/Telstra/channel 9/ channel 7/ABC/Foxtel any broadcaster that has shown rugby league. I understand It would be hard to collate it all but it would be great to see and have. After all its rugby league IP isnt it?

If there was no recordings of the game, we can't do too much about that but even photos could be used on important games that were before tv.

And that 'lone Panthers owned camera' footage briefly appeared in the 'Magic Moments of the '90s' DVD narrated by Andrew Voss. I just scanned through that DVD to confirm that is the case.

What I find more interesting was stumbling on a website that had full-match replays of 1994 Manly vs St George at Brookvale (Manly won 61-0) and 1995 Bulldogs vs Nth QLD at Belmore (Bulldogs won 66-4) , both were not televised and is ground footage confirmed by the fact it's from one camera mounted in the western grandstand. But, how someone managed to obtain not just 1-2 min highlights from the sports report of a 6pm news bulletin, but the whole match remains a mystery. Have absolutely no idea how they got it.

That must lead me to believe that there's VHS tapes of full-match replays of other games that weren't televised lying dormant in the wardrobes or attics of peoples' homes, INCLUDING that 1998 Penrith vs Nth QLD game and other non-televised matches, such as 1995 Parramatta vs Brisbane (where Broncos racked up 54 points in the 2nd half) and highlights from other games that appeared on the old Big League videos during the early-mid '90s.

In all seriousness though, the NRL/Fox Sports/Ch9 should surely either have this footage, or if not, it should be made available for all to see. Reminds me of several classic matches the Australian cricket team played pre-PayTV era that weren't broadcast in Australia but were shown in those countries where the matches were played in. Fox Sports should try to acquire that footage for us to see. I 100% agree with your, Stormwarrior82. It'd be great if there was an NRL Media Library established such as what you are proposing (although, knowing how incompetent the NRL administration is, don't hold your hopes high of it happening anytime soon). Much better than having to rummage through the internet to find footage from certain past games.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
True.

I highly doubt those grounds back in 1998 - and maybe still today - had proper broadcasting facilities, especially for the video referee as it was the 2nd year it was used (debuted during 1997 SL). Very same reason the 2015 Cricket World Cup didn't have matches in regional areas such as Berri, Mackay, Pukekura Park etc. like they did in 1992. Grounds didn't have to meet particular standards like they do now in the multi-billion dollar tv right era. It'd cost even more money just to hire a big screen for replays and technology for video referee to use only for one game.

Of those 4 regional games, the one that has always fascinated me the most was the one in Whyalla. Whyalla is a good 400km or so away from Adelaide in stronghold AFL territory, yet it still drew 5,153 on a Saturday arvo (presumably with little promotion, which is very typical of the NRL). Why a game was taken that far off the beaten track, I'll never know, but nevertheless interesting that the NRL approved games held in those locations back then. Can't find any news clippings or info from those games, other than the score summary.

And that 'lone Panthers owned camera' footage briefly appeared in the 'Magic Moments of the '90s' DVD narrated by Andrew Voss. I just scanned through that DVD to confirm that is the case.

What I find more interesting was stumbling on a website that had full-match replays of 1994 Manly vs St George at Brookvale (Manly won 61-0) and 1995 Bulldogs vs Nth QLD at Belmore (Bulldogs won 66-4) , both were not televised and is ground footage confirmed by the fact it's from one camera mounted in the western grandstand. But, how someone managed to obtain not just 1-2 min highlights from the sports report of a 6pm news bulletin, but the whole match remains a mystery. Have absolutely no idea how they got it.

That must lead me to believe that there's VHS tapes of full-match replays of other games that weren't televised lying dormant in the wardrobes or attics of peoples' homes, INCLUDING that 1998 Penrith vs Nth QLD game and other non-televised matches, such as 1995 Parramatta vs Brisbane (where Broncos racked up 54 points in the 2nd half) and highlights from other games that appeared on the old Big League videos during the early-mid '90s.

In all seriousness though, the NRL/Fox Sports/Ch9 should surely either have this footage, or if not, it should be made available for all to see. Reminds me of several classic matches the Australian cricket team played pre-PayTV era that weren't broadcast in Australia but were shown in those countries where the matches were played in. Fox Sports should try to acquire that footage for us to see. I 100% agree with your, Stormwarrior82. It'd be great if there was an NRL Media Library established such as what you are proposing (although, knowing how incompetent the NRL administration is, don't hold your hopes high of it happening anytime soon). Much better than having to rummage through the internet to find footage from certain past games.

Jesus, that 1995 game at Belmore, I was at that game as well. Was supposed to be Terry Lambs last game so the crowd was pretty big. Canterbury just toyed with us, was like watching high schoolers vs primary schoolers. It was games like that one that made the 2015 GF victory all that much more special.

The one at Parra,are you referring to Lockys debut game mate?