What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hope this is fake news

Old Timer

Coach
30 players in a squad when you buy a new player it doesn't necessarily mean you lose one
He is talking about a 1st grader / match winner coming to the club so that means someone from the existing 1st grade side has to go.
Can't imagine that any self respecting existing 1st grader will want to go back to reggies so I suggest that they will go elsewhere thus I believe we will we lose 1.
The avoidance around the matter is that if people are pro Millward he has already cast the dye as to the FB position next year namely Field and of course there is yesterday's golden haired boy that people said had to be fitted in namely Dufty.
That means someone else has to go (2,3,4 or 5) to make way but as we are going quite well at the moment who do you pick to get rid of to fit the so called match winner in?
It's a classic Catch 22.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
People get dropped not just here at THE BIG RED V .but believe it or not Wayne Bennett drops players,Craig purple Bellamy also drops players.dont know why that surprises some of you Doomsday supporters

Old Timer

Coach
People get dropped not just here at THE BIG RED V .but believe it or not Wayne Bennett drops players,Craig purple Bellamy also drops players.dont know why that surprises some of you Doomsday supporters
It doesn't surprise us we have seen it all before, just tell us who you are dropping to fit him in?
Or are we buying a strike player or whatever you want to call him to play reggies and apply the pressure from there?
You can't have it both ways.

saintsarealive1

Juniors
He is talking about a 1st grader / match winner coming to the club so that means someone from the existing 1st grade side has to go.
Can't imagine that any self respecting existing 1st grader will want to go back to reggies so I suggest that they will go elsewhere thus I believe we will we lose 1.
The avoidance around the matter is that if people are pro Millward he has already cast the dye as to the FB position next year namely Field and of course there is yesterday's golden haired boy that people said had to be fitted in namely Dufty.
That means someone else has to go (2,3,4 or 5) to make way but as we are going quite well at the moment who do you pick to get rid of to fit the so called match winner in?
It's a classic Catch 22.
No one has to go.... dugan out and one in.

Players can fight for positions.

Got it?!

Are you ok, do you need some sleep or what?

Overseas dragon

Juniors
It's a classic Catch 22.
So every player that's out of form and gets dropped will leave not just here but at every club.boy lots of movement coming up

Old Timer

Coach
So every player that's out of form and gets dropped will leave not just here but at every club.boy lots of movement coming up
Just answer the question
Which current 1st grader gets the boot to fit the new "game breaker, hero, try scoring machine, wizard, premiership maker or what ever else he is" into the side.
He isn't here now, so if he comes unless we are playing 8 in the backs someone is not going to be in 1st next year.
So which established 1st grader already making his presence felt in our wonderful turnaround, potential top 4 finish and possible grand final appearance is going to get the shove or is it that we are just going to buy yet another journeyman or depth player?
I can't wait to see this scenario
Well done everyone for what you did this year in making the club so much stronger and getting us back where we belong and to you juniors that have signed up well done and by the way just thought we should let you know that as a reward we have just purchased another player who will slot straight into 1st grade and you blokes all have to prove yourselves yet again to get into the side.
We support competition among the squad but you have to understand that anyone new fits in automatically and you all have to fight it out amongst yourselves just like you did last year when we brought Nene.
Morale boosting indeed.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Hypothetical question why not wait and see what's in front of you .try and enjoy the way the team is going .could it be better YES. But. With no Bellamy's or Bennett's available we are stuck with jetski let's just ride along with him and see where it takes us

I guess in an ideal world the club would wait until after the season to see exactly what Mary produces to see if he warrants a contract extension or not. Surely it is more complex than that though? Even though Mary is clearly not a coach in demand he would still have some weight with regards to pushing for the extension.
There must also be a breaking point for Mary where he would get frustrated without having his future secure and that may affect his output. Like any job I guess.
The club would want harmony and with Mary re-signed and all the players behind him it could be the push we need heading into the back half of the season.
I can see it from both sides I guess is what I am saying.
Mary has had his future secure for the last 3 years and the results do not support your argument.
Coaching should be performance based and it would be a tragic mistake to re-sign Mary before the end of the season.
I am in no way convinced that Mary is our coaching solution for the future.
The problem is that once you sign that contract, you are completely stuck if things don't work out.

ALSGI

Bench
Mary has had his future secure for the last 3 years and the results do not support your argument.
Coaching should be performance based and it would be a tragic mistake to re-sign Mary before the end of the season.
The problem is that once you sign that contract, you are completely stuck if things don't work out.
Agree, wouldn't extend just yet despite the temptation and improvement at Dragons.
Although Souffs might be looking for a FG 'quality' coach?

Crush

Coach
Same thing could be said for Widdop but they re-signed him?

Crush

Coach
True, but can't see anyone coming after Mary just yet - except Souffs.
ALSGI, Souths suck. I hate them. Burgess bros are butterfingers. GI and his goanna are rubbish. Russell Crow is a grot. And Madge is a muppet.
As if Mary, an Illawarra and St george man through and through would go near that rabble of a piece of shit so called football club.
Mary belongs with us. He is a dragon.
Did I mention that I don't like the rabbits?

ALSGI

Bench
ALSGI, Souths suck. I hate them. Burgess bros are butterfingers. GI and his goanna are rubbish. Russell Crow is a grot. And Madge is a muppet.
As if Mary, an Illawarra and St george man through and through would go near that rabble of a piece of shit so called football club.
Mary belongs with us. He is a dragon.
Did I mention that I don't like the rabbits?
I'm hearing you brother.
Just sayin, if there are posters on here suggesting we should go for Madge, which I find ridiculous - I started thinking who on earth would even remotely consider Mary a good replacement coach.
I reckon if we started a thread on the souffs forum about Mary replacing Madge, right now it'd get some traction.
We would have taken anyone last year.
What amazing turn around.
What a Mess for Souffs.

Crush

Coach
I'm hearing you brother.
Just sayin, if there are posters on here suggesting we should go for Madge, which I find ridiculous - I started thinking who on earth would even remotely consider Mary a good replacement coach.
I reckon if we started a thread on the souffs forum about Mary replacing Madge, right now it'd get some traction.
We would have taken anyone last year.
What amazing turn around.
What a Mess for Souffs.
A Madge Mess

Hills Dragon

Juniors
I honestly can't believe the position we're in. All last season, and right up to round 1 vs the Panthers, I was CERTAIN the Dragons were geniused for persisting with McGregor, and I would have had Widdop and Lafai in the Steelers. If someone had suggested extending McGregor's contract, or Widdop's, I would have called them a moron. I don't know what's happened to McGregor to change his coaching and the team structures etc, but I like it, and I would resign him for another year if possible, 2 years if he insists.

denis preston

First Grade
I honestly can't believe the position we're in. All last season, and right up to round 1 vs the Panthers, I was CERTAIN the Dragons were geniused for persisting with McGregor, and I would have had Widdop and Lafai in the Steelers. If someone had suggested extending McGregor's contract, or Widdop's, I would have called them a moron. I don't know what's happened to McGregor to change his coaching and the team structures etc, but I like it, and I would resign him for another year if possible, 2 years if he insists.

But we aren't all as wise as Possm , who's fundamental argument is that we should have signed them all up prior to this season AND he has digs at Millward for the " Mess "

possm

Coach
Yeah not sure that the club dragged its feet with dugan. I think that they made an offer, under what he wanted, and they stuck strong to that offer. Eventually Dugan got a better offer and will leave.
Honestly, they spent their money on their halves and couldn't justify spending another big chunk on dugan.
They probably had to make the decision Widdop or Dugan months ago and correctly, IMO, chose widdop.
Cannot blame Dugan for leaving but I guess, hopelessly, I thought he might stay for slightly less money for the love of the club.
I see Mary as a different scenario altogether. Nobody will sign him in nrl but its more about harmony going forward. He is very important to 2017.
Dugan, we could lose him now and still be very competitive.
An increase in the cap of 2m. The Club spent approx. 1m on Hunt - though Millward says it is a lot less than that - and increased Widdops salary by approx. 200k. Clearly the cap increase more than covered the spend on the halves.

Dugan was reported to be on 700k. He asked for 1m and Millward offered him a reported 750k - 850k. Dugan signed with Cronulla for 700k. Again, keeping Dugan was put down as a cost thing however, it is clear it was more of a Field for fullback thing. The Club is right to renew its roster little by little each season but to spin that Dugan's loss was due to cap pressure is rubbish.

Then there is Packer. A key part of our 'power plan' and we let him go because he wanted 4 years instead of 3. With no believable reason for such miss-management, all I can put it down to is Millward's complete lack of skills in dealing with complex contract negotiations.

Regarding Dugan, table the offer and if need be negotiate but surely within a month if no deal can be struck, pull the offer by advising Dugan he is free to find a new home.

All along the theme of 'we want to sort Dugan's contract first' when dealing with the Packer contract. For goodness sakes, one is a forward, the other a back and the only connection I can make is that they are both currently key players in our 'power plan'. Surely the way to go was to put Dugan aside because no headway was being made. Sign Packer on a 3 year plan with an option in the Club's favour for a further year. In the absence of the Tigers offer, Packer would surely have signed under those terms. Yet Millward could not/would not move in a timely way on this deal.

Cap wise the Club has to be in a very favourable position. As I said the cap increase is approx. 2m and we now have let go Dugan and Packer making it over 3m in credits. We have only added Hunt to the roster so far and have upgraded Widdop and our forwards - in my estimations - for approximately a total cost of 2m. On these figures we are still 1m ahead of our 2017 cap position with Lafai, Mann and Milne still to sign.

My hope is that Millward let's go some fringe first graders and replaces them with his promising juniors. I also hope he signs Lafai, Mann and Milne mainly because they are good first graders and can competently perform at first grade level.

Let competition determine who will hold first grade positions but a least have a squad of great first graders to be the players competing.

Crush

Coach
An increase in the cap of 2m. The Club spent approx. 1m on Hunt - though Millward says it is a lot less than that - and increased Widdops salary by approx. 200k. Clearly the cap increase more than covered the spend on the halves.

Dugan was reported to be on 700k. He asked for 1m and Millward offered him a reported 750k - 850k. Dugan signed with Cronulla for 700k. Again, keeping Dugan was put down as a cost thing however, it is clear it was more of a Field for fullback thing. The Club is right to renew its roster little by little each season but to spin that Dugan's loss was due to cap pressure is rubbish.

Then there is Packer. A key part of our 'power plan' and we let him go because he wanted 4 years instead of 3. With no believable reason for such miss-management, all I can put it down to is Millward's complete lack of skills in dealing with complex contract negotiations.

Regarding Dugan, table the offer and if need be negotiate but surely within a month if no deal can be struck, pull the offer by advising Dugan he is free to find a new home.

All along the theme of 'we want to sort Dugan's contract first' when dealing with the Packer contract. For goodness sakes, one is a forward, the other a back and the only connection I can make is that they are both currently key players in our 'power plan'. Surely the way to go was to put Dugan aside because no headway was being made. Sign Packer on a 3 year plan with an option in the Club's favour for a further year. In the absence of the Tigers offer, Packer would surely have signed under those terms. Yet Millward could not/would not move in a timely way on this deal.

Cap wise the Club has to be in a very favourable position. As I said the cap increase is approx. 2m and we now have let go Dugan and Packer making it over 3m in credits. We have only added Hunt to the roster so far and have upgraded Widdop and our forwards - in my estimations - for approximately a total cost of 2m. On these figures we are still 1m ahead of our 2017 cap position with Lafai, Mann and Milne still to sign.

My hope is that Millward let's go some fringe first graders and replaces them with his promising juniors. I also hope he signs Lafai, Mann and Milne mainly because they are good first graders and can competently perform at first grade level.

Let competition determine who will hold first grade positions but a least have a squad of great first graders to be the players competing.
I think Tigers made an offer that dragons couldn't get near, I don't know the details but lets say our offer is 450k. Then tigers offer 700k. If dragons were to match that then they may have to let Mann, Lafai, go. Dunno, I don't pretend to know what goes on behind closed doors but I trust that it is complex and the club is doing a good job.
Dugan negotiations seemed to get a bit nasty. It wasnt managed well perhaps but whos to say if it was millwards fault or dugans or a combination of both.