What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Hour NRL channel

undertaker

Coach
Jesus, that 1995 game at Belmore, I was at that game as well. Was supposed to be Terry Lambs last game so the crowd was pretty big. Canterbury just toyed with us, was like watching high schoolers vs primary schoolers. It was games like that one that made the 2015 GF victory all that much more special.

The one at Parra,are you referring to Lockys debut game mate?

Yes, the Parra game was Darren Lockyer's debut. Parramatta led 14-6 at half-time before Brisbane's 54 point blitz over the following 40 minutes to win 60-14. It was one of the few Broncos away games Ch9 Brisbane didn't cover during 1995/96 (which they normally did pre-1995 when Ch9 Sydney didn't, with Billy J Smith/Alan Thomas as the callers) and subsequently, only a snippet of ground footage appears in the Magic Memories of the '90s DVD.

But the mere fact a minute or so of ground footage was shown must mean a full match replay is lurking around somewhere.

beave

Coach
Yes, the Parra game was Darren Lockyer's debut. Parramatta led 14-6 at half-time before Brisbane's 54 point blitz over the following 40 minutes to win 60-14. It was one of the few Broncos away games Ch9 Brisbane didn't cover during 1995/96 (which they normally did pre-1995 when Ch9 Sydney didn't, with Billy J Smith/Alan Thomas as the callers) and subsequently, only a snippet of ground footage appears in the Magic Memories of the '90s DVD.

But the mere fact a minute or so of ground footage was shown must mean a full match replay is lurking around somewhere.

Again, I was at that game.

I actually have it on tape in my garage along with about 300 other games from the 90's. It was shown on delay in QLD on 9, my nan used to tape for me all the Cowboys games (they were shown on WIN TV up there) and Broncos games as she lived in Tvl and I had moved down to Sydney as a teen. It was the only way I could keep up with what was going on with the QLD teams. Kids these days just dont realise how lucky they have it to be able to follow their team with such ease this day and age.

The only reason I remember the game was my mum and I were in the background of a few of the close ups on Julian O'neill when he was taking his umpteenth conversion. So yes, 9 in Brisbane would have it in their archives as well mate, I will go through my boxes in the garage and see if I can find it. My wife has been into me for years to get rid of all my old VHS tapes but I am pretty sentimental when it comes to that shit.

undertaker

Coach
I actually have it on tape in my garage along with about 300 other games from the 90's. It was shown on delay in QLD on 9, my nan used to tape for me all the Cowboys games (they were shown on WIN TV up there) and Broncos games as she lived in Tvl and I had moved down to Sydney as a teen. It was the only way I could keep up with what was going on with the QLD teams. Kids these days just dont realise how lucky they have it to be able to follow their team with such ease this day and age.

Well, there you go. You learn something new every day. I wasn't aware it was televised, as I have stumbled upon several games from that SL-war era that is just ground footage (e.g. Illawarra vs Brisbane 1996, where some Broncos player got sent-off). And as I said earlier, Manly/St George '94 and Bulldogs/Cowboys '95 were both ground footage, with no commentary.

You said your nan used to take all the Cowboys games for you. You wouldn't happen to have any involving the Knights (maybe Knights vs Cowboys from 1995/96)?

On a more serious note, yeah, kids are much luckier these days especially with all games live and in HD on Fox Sports, and none of these Sunday night 43 minute highlights packages from Channel 9 (when even areas in non-RL states such as Perth and Adelaide got those games LIVE and in full pre-Super League). I know this for fact, as several Newcastle Knights games that were only shown as those Ch9 highlights packages at the time, I've stumbled upon the full 80 minute footage of several of those games in the last year or so, 20 years later! (and Rabs or Sterlo would make some reference to Perth or Adelaide during the game like "I'm sure so and so person will be enjoying the coverage live into Perth" or "Come on Peter, say something to the folk watching now in Adelaide". Obviously none of this appeared in the highlights package, maybe because Ch9 didn't want the fans in Sydney and Brisbane to know they were getting screwed over, while areas in AFL heartland got to see the whole game live. Channel 9 have really dicked RL fans around for a long time.

The only reason I remember the game was my mum and I were in the background of a few of the close ups on Julian O'neill when he was taking his umpteenth conversion. So yes, 9 in Brisbane would have it in their archives as well mate, I will go through my boxes in the garage and see if I can find it. My wife has been into me for years to get rid of all my old VHS tapes but I am pretty sentimental when it comes to that shit.

Words of wisdom: DON'T let your wife dictate or pressure you throw them away. You're sitting on a lot of rare/valuable footage. If Rob Moody (robelinda2 on YouTube) threw away all the VHS tapes he's stored cricket matches on for over 35 years, I and many other cricket fans would've never got the joy and chance to ever see any of that footage, as a lot of it is very rare (many games outside of Australia that occurred pre-Foxtel and obviously weren't broadcast in Australia) and several of it Channel 9 no longer has in their archives (e.g. World Series Supertests, 1991 tour of West Indies). There's no hope in hell Channel 9 would ever show 99% of the stuff he's uploaded.

Just out of curiosity, what were you doing at the Parra/Broncos game as a Cowboys supporter?

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
1994 61-0 Manly v St George was on ABC I'm pretty sure. Was shown in full in NZ. I remember that game well as Manly points were just piling on

El Diablo

Post Whore
Can't find any news clippings or info from those games, other than the score summary.
i'm pretty sure Jarrod McCracken got suspended for a tackle he did in the Parkes game even though there was no footage of it

a few years earlier that would be normal

undertaker

Coach
1994 61-0 Manly v St George was on ABC I'm pretty sure. Was shown in full in NZ. I remember that game well as Manly points were just piling on

http://afltables.com/rl/seas/1994.html#14

It wasn't televised as it wasn't the Ch9 Sunday game (looking at that link above, Penrith vs Newcastle was).
ABC did the Saturday arvo game, which was Norths vs Canberra in that round.

The only other games that were televised on a Sunday at the time other than the one Ch9 Sydney did was whenever the Broncos (Ch9 Brisbane), Newcastle (NBN) and home Gold Coast Seagulls matches were played, which I'm assuming was also covered by Ch9 Brisbane, as Andrew Voss called for them before he replaced Blocker Roach as sideline commentator and Chris Bombalas became the new caller. Voss also did home Sth QLD Crushers matches during 1995-97, none of which were shown in the Hunter Valley where I was living at the time.

Here's a clip of that Sea Eagles/Dragons game from the Magic Memories of the '90s DVD, which is taken from highlights from the Big League video with canned commentary added, which in other games were mostly done by David Morrow, but not on this occasion (commentary that has been added afterwards to enhance the clip, although in this case below I don't know if you can say it's enhanced as it's very amateur):

The 80 minute footage I've seen of the game doesn't have any commentary, just the crowd noise (like when Fox Sports used to have that option for one of their Saturday night games back in the 2000s) and ground announcer over the loud speaker. But, as I've already said, how a full match replay of games such as that have surfaced and where it came from, I have no idea.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Well, there you go. You learn something new every day. I wasn't aware it was televised, as I have stumbled upon several games from that SL-war era that is ground footage (e.g. Illawarra vs Brisbane 1996, where some Broncos player got sent-off).

You said your nan used to take all the Cowboys games for you. You wouldn't happen to have any involving the Knights (maybe Knights vs Cowboys from 1995/96)?

On a more serious note, yeah, kids are much luckier these days especially with all games live and in HD on Fox Sports, and none of these Sunday night 43 minute highlights packages from Channel 9 (when even areas in non-RL states such as Perth and Adelaide got those games LIVE and in full pre-Super League). I know this for fact, as several Newcastle Knights games that were only shown as those Ch9 highlights packages at the time, I've stumbled upon the full 80 minute footage of several of those games in the last year or so, 20 years later! Channel 9 have really dicked RL fans around for a long time.

Words of wisdom: DON'T let your wife dictate or pressure you throw them away. You're sitting on a lot of rare/valuable footage. If Rob Moody (robelinda2 on YouTube) threw away all the VHS tapes he's stored cricket matches on for over 35 years, I and many other cricket fans would've never got the joy and chance to ever see any of that footage, as a lot of it is very rare (many games outside of Australia that occurred pre-Foxtel and obviously weren't broadcast in Australia) and several of it Channel 9 no longer has in their archives (e.g. World Series Supertests, 1991 tour of West Indies). There's no hope in hell Channel 9 would ever show 99% of the stuff he's uploaded.

Just out of curiosity, what were you doing at the Parra/Broncos game as a Cowboys supporter?

I should have both 1995 and 1996 cowbs/knights games in my collection I'm pretty sure. I remember the 1995 game at Marathon, Jonathan Davies scored a 50m try from a scrum feed, it was pretty much the only highlight of his 14 game career with us. We lost that one (we only won 2 games in 95, was extremely lucky enough to be at both of them, one in Wollongong and one against wests in Tvl, my nan had flown me up for school holidays and it was my fist ever game at Stockland Stadium). Was an amazing night.

I don't remember much of the 1996 cowbs/knights game only that we won it in NQ. I only really remember the 1996 season draw as it was a venue flip but the same overall schedule as 1995 as the season only got the green light at the last minute. I actually dont even own an VHS player anymore to watch it again f$&@ knows where i could buy one now, it would look terrible on the big tellys we have these days! Might have a trawl on Ebay.

And my reason for going to the eels/broncs game, my old man worked in Parramatta at an army reserve unit (he was fulltime) so a lot of his duty time was over weekends. If Parra had a home Sunday game he would drop me off at Parramatta stadium with $20 and it would get me a seat on the hill for all 3 grades and the remaining $10 would feed me for the arvo (long gone are those days). I remember my old girl was keen to see the Broncos so the old boy dropped us off in the morning, mum didnt want to sit on the hill so she upgraded our seats to the eastern terrace, I was grinning like a chesire cat as I thought I was high rolling it compare to my usual seating arrangements. I was 15 so I didnt really have a massive hatred for Brisbane at that stage, I was born and had grown up in NQ but moved to sydney as a teen so I never really had my own team until Cowbs had come along in '95. I just loved footy to be honest.

I remember Lockyer making his debut that game. Who would have known back then what/whom we were seeing unfold as one of the greatest ever to lace on a boot. Great memories.

undertaker

Coach
I should have both 1995 and 1996 cowbs/knights games in my collection I'm pretty sure. I remember the 1995 game at Marathon, Jonathan Davies scored a 50m try from a scrum feed, it was pretty much the only highlight of his 14 game career with us. We lost that one (we only won 2 games in 95, was extremely lucky enough to be at both of them, one in Wollongong and one against wests in Tvl, my nan had flown me up for school holidays and it was my fist ever game at Stockland Stadium). Was an amazing night.

I don't remember much of the 1996 cowbs/knights game only that we won it in NQ. I only really remember the 1996 season draw as it was a venue flip but the same overall schedule as 1995 as the season only got the green light at the last minute. I actually dont even own an VHS player anymore to watch it again f$&@ knows where i could buy one now, it would look terrible on the big tellys we have these days! Might have a trawl on Ebay.

And my reason for going to the eels/broncs game, my old man worked in Parramatta at an army reserve unit (he was fulltime) so a lot of his duty time was over weekends. If Parra had a home Sunday game he would drop me off at Parramatta stadium with $20 and it would get me a seat on the hill for all 3 grades and the remaining $10 would feed me for the arvo (long gone are those days). I remember my old girl was keen to see the Broncos so the old boy dropped us off in the morning, mum didnt want to sit on the hill so she upgraded our seats to the eastern terrace, I was grinning like a chesire cat as I thought I was high rolling it compare to my usual seating arrangements. I was 15 so I didnt really have a massive hatred for Brisbane at that stage, I was born and had grown up in NQ but moved to sydney as a teen so I never really had my own team until Cowbs had come along in '95. I just loved footy to be honest.

I remember Lockyer making his debut that game. Who would have known back then what/whom we were seeing unfold as one of the greatest ever to lace on a boot. Great memories.
Wow, must say you are extremely lucky to have experienced what you did, going from watching matches in Sydney to Wollongong and then Townsville all in the same year. Haven't been to games outside of Sydney/Newcastle area.

$10 tickets, lol! I remember when it was about that amount to sit on old eastern hill at Newcastle. Now it's over $25 just to sit on the hills behind the goalposts!

Regarding Cowboys first ever win, this from a Big League video:

On the topic of what I said earlier about the Bulldogs/Cowboys game in '95, I have also stumbled upon a match replay of '95 Cowboys vs Seagulls (don't know if you remember that game), Seagulls narrowly won 12-10 but not without a fight as the Cowboys were pressing the Seagulls try-line in the final minute. Interesting hearing Jason Costigan with his high-pitched voice (alongside dean schifilliti) before he starting calling NZ Warriors matches a few years later. Also, a few matches from '98 (Cowboys home games vs Roosters/Souths/Canberra/Western Suburbs)

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Wow, must say you are extremely lucky to have experienced what you did, going from watching matches in Sydney to Wollongong and then Townsville all in the same year. Haven't been to games outside of Sydney/Newcastle area.

Regarding Cowboys first ever win, this from a Big League video:

On the topic of what I said earlier about the Bulldogs/Cowboys game in '95, I have also stumbled upon a match replay of '95 Cowboys vs Seagulls (don't know if you remember that game), Seagulls narrowly won 12-10 but not without a fight as the Cowboys were pressing the Seagulls try-line in the final minute. Interesting hearing Jason Costigan with his high-pitched voice before he starting calling NZ Warriors matches a few years later. Also, a few matches from '98 (Cowboys home games vs Roosters/Souths/Canberra/Western Suburbs)

Mate you gotta throw the link up, would love to watch it!!!!

And yes, I have been extremely lucky to have witnessed some milestones in my clubs history. The first 2 years of the cowbs existence I relied on my parents taking me to games so Im lucky that they didnt mind taking me, seeing a club grow from nothing and seeing one or 2 other people in blue and grey in the crowd at away games to what you saw at the 2015 GF is really special.

I left school and started working fulltime in sydney in the later 90's, I didnt really have any hobbies other than footy. Some guys were into cars, fishing, houses (i am kicking myself for not buying something back in the day!!!!) but I just loved going to games. I used to fly home back to Tvl a couple of times a year, always for the derby which wasn't really well known for being a big game outside of QLD. I would go up in high hopes and fly back always with my tail between my legs.

I moved back to NQ in 2004 which really was an amazing time to be back home as the club really improved for a while there under Muzz. I slept out for tickets for the Broncs semi, which is still in the top 5 all time games I have ever been to. The bulldogs semi the week before was also prettty special, I flew down just to say I had been to our first finals game thinking we would get hosed deluxe but to see them win it was a really great night. The GF win is still obviously the highlight, 05 GF was gut wrenching but they should never had been there considering the flogging they copped week 1 against the same team.

Mate you gotta go to a game up in NQ. Especially once the new stadium is built. I have an emotional attatchment to the current shit heap as I lived literally 5 mins walk to it and went to school right next to it (it was a harness racing track back in those days) but this new thing looks awesome, right in the cbd. Especially if the knights play up there in winter, there is no better time to be up there.

Reactions: Vee

undertaker

Coach

Just sent you a PM regarding this issue.

And yes, I have been extremely lucky to have witnessed some milestones in my clubs history. The first 2 years of the cowbs existence I relied on my parents taking me to games so Im lucky that they didnt mind taking me, seeing a club grow from nothing and seeing one or 2 other people in blue and grey in the crowd at away games to what you saw at the 2015 GF is really special.

I left school and started working fulltime in sydney in the later 90's, I didnt really have any hobbies other than footy. Some guys were into cars, fishing, houses (i am kicking myself for not buying something back in the day!!!!) but I just loved going to games. I used to fly home back to Tvl a couple of times a year, always for the derby which wasn't really well known for being a big game outside of QLD. I would go up in high hopes and fly back always with my tail between my legs.

I moved back to NQ in 2004 which really was an amazing time to be back home as the club really improved for a while there under Muzz. I slept out for tickets for the Broncs semi, which is still in the top 5 all time games I have ever been to. The bulldogs semi the week before was also prettty special, I flew down just to say I had been to our first finals game thinking we would get hosed deluxe but to see them win it was a really great night. The GF win is still obviously the highlight, 05 GF was gut wrenching but they should never had been there considering the flogging they copped week 1 against the same team.

Mate you gotta go to a game up in NQ. Especially once the new stadium is built. I have an emotional attatchment to the current shit heap as I lived literally 5 mins walk to it and went to school right next to it (it was a harness racing track back in those days) but this new thing looks awesome, right in the cbd. Especially if the knights play up there in winter, there is no better time to be up there.

Closest I've been to Townsville is Cairns. Went to Cairns/Port Douglas for a week in June 2009 (during the 2nd Origin match) and had an amazing time, things were much cheaper back then compared to what they are now.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
http://afltables.com/rl/seas/1994.html#14

It wasn't televised as it wasn't the Ch9 Sunday game (looking at that link above, Penrith vs Newcastle was).
ABC did the Saturday arvo game, which was Norths vs Canberra in that round.

The only other games that were televised on a Sunday at the time other than the one Ch9 Sydney did was whenever the Broncos (Ch9 Brisbane), Newcastle (NBN) and home Gold Coast Seagulls matches were played, which I'm assuming was also covered by Ch9 Brisbane, as Andrew Voss called for them before he replaced Blocker Roach as sideline commentator and Chris Bombalas became the new caller. Voss also did home Sth QLD Crushers matches during 1995-97, none of which were shown in the Hunter Valley where I was living at the time.

Here's a clip of that Sea Eagles/Dragons game from the Magic Memories of the '90s DVD, which is taken from highlights from the Big League video with canned commentary added, which in other games were mostly done by David Morrow, but not on this occasion (commentary that has been added afterwards to enhance the clip, although in this case below I don't know if you can say it's enhanced as it's very amateur):

The 80 minute footage I've seen of the game doesn't have any commentary, just the crowd noise (like when Fox Sports used to have that option for one of their Saturday night games back in the 2000s) and ground announcer over the loud speaker. But, as I've already said, how a full match replay of games such as that have surfaced and where it came from, I have no idea.
Perhaps TV2 in NZ, under TVNZ covered that game because the Friday and Sunday games were shown in full and the Saturday ABC game was 1 hour from at least 1990-1996.
The games were commentated by Greame Hughes and Graham Lowe.
TVNZ may have full match copies.

undertaker

Coach
Perhaps TV2 in NZ, under TVNZ covered that game because the Friday and Sunday games were shown in full and the Saturday ABC game was 1 hour from at least 1990-1996.
The games were commentated by Greame Hughes and Graham Lowe.
TVNZ may have full match copies.

TVNZ should definitely have full match copies in their archives during the era when Graeme Hughes called matches for them after he left Ch10 in 1991 (when Ch9 won the tv rights).

Ah....I think I know the game you maybe referring to. It wasn't Manly vs St George, as I said earlier it wasn't televised:

http://afltables.com/rl/scorers/games/1994/199403261324.html

Manly vs Western Suburbs, Rd 3 1994. Manly won 66-8. That was definitely on the ABC.

wasn't it against the Rams?

maybe they thought it would be a shit crowd so they took it to the bush
Yeah, it was against the Rams

Regarding those regional games:

Canberra vs Gold Coast was at Fisher Oval, Cootamundra (crowd: 6,432)
Parramatta vs Adelaide was at Pioneer Oval, Parkes (crowd: 7,514)
Adelaide vs Illawarra was at Bennett Oval, Whyalla (crowd: 5,153)
Roosters vs Gold Coast was at Eric Weissel Oval, Wagga Wagga (crowd: 4,115)

Fair to say those first two matches got a bigger crowd in those regional areas compared to if they were held at the home ground of those teams

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach

I read somewhere Billy J Smith quit calling matches in 1995. But Ch 9 Brisbane continued covering matches involving the Crushers and Broncos. That weekend featured a Crushers home game at Penrith, assuming Vossy or Chris Bombalas would've called that game.

Another game on the weekend that we didn't see in NSW was Manly Vs Western Reds, mainly shown in Perth.

That game does feature on the Magic moments in the 90s DVD, Dave Morrow was the caller with Ted Goodwin.

Speaking of Rams games, does anyone know who this caller was:

El Diablo

Post Whore
sounds like it might be Greg Clark the Union guy

he used to call games back then. he always seemed to love Penrith when he did their games

nrlnrl

First Grade
TVNZ should definitely have full match copies in their archives during the era when Graeme Hughes called matches for them after he left Ch10 in 1991 (when Ch9 won the tv rights).

Ah....I think I know the game you maybe referring to. It wasn't Manly vs St George, as I said earlier it wasn't televised:

http://afltables.com/rl/scorers/games/1994/199403261324.html

Manly vs Western Suburbs, Rd 3 1994. Manly won 66-8. That was definitely on the ABC.

Yeah, it was against the Rams

Regarding those regional games:

Canberra vs Gold Coast was at Fisher Oval, Cootamundra (crowd: 6,432)
Parramatta vs Adelaide was at Pioneer Oval, Parkes (crowd: 7,514)
Adelaide vs Illawarra was at Bennett Oval, Whyalla (crowd: 5,153)
Roosters vs Gold Coast was at Eric Weissel Oval, Wagga Wagga (crowd: 4,115)

Fair to say those first two matches got a bigger crowd in those regional areas compared to if they were held at the home ground of those teams
You'd hope TVNZ kept the copies of the games. Somebody told me some of the original versions of Ch7 and/or Ch10 games weren't kept - merely thrown out as they weren't considered of any value. (as those stations weren't broadcasting rugby league any more) I don't know how many, but this person is a reliable source.

undertaker

Coach
You'd hope TVNZ kept the copies of the games. Somebody told me some of the original versions of Ch7 and/or Ch10 games weren't kept - merely thrown out as they weren't considered of any value. (as those stations weren't broadcasting rugby league any more) I don't know how many, but this person is a reliable source.

Well, anyone sitting on RL VHS footage from the '70s and '80s has got some rare stuff, as I'm sure more than 50% of it you won't find in Ch7/10 archives.

Regarding TVNZ, not just RL games, but also when they covered cricket. The '93 Australian tour of NZ (covered by TVNZ) wasn't televised in Australia at the time and from reading many reports online, the bilateral 5 game ODI series was one of the best in the '90s, yet only 2 snippets can be found on YouTube

undertaker

Coach
I read somewhere Billy J Smith quit calling matches in 1995. But Ch 9 Brisbane continued covering matches involving the Crushers and Broncos. That weekend featured a Crushers home game at Penrith, assuming Vossy or Chris Bombalas would've called that game.

Yeah,1988-91 was Billy J Smith/David Fordaham at Ch10 Brisbane and Billy J Smith/Alan Thomas at Ch9 Brisbane during 1992-94 calling those matches.

Andrew Voss took over calling Broncos/Crushers home games during 1995-98 or 99 (this is back when he only appeared as sideline commentator or caller for Ch9 Sydney when either Rabs or Blocker were unavailable).

Chris Bombalas succeeded Voss in either 1999 or 2000 (saw Bomber on the sideline doing the pre-game show for Newcastle vs Brisbane in 2000 with Paul Harragon and Glenn Lazurus, so at least by then, Voss wasn't involved with Ch9 Brisbane as he had permanently replaced Blocker as sideline commentator for Ch9 Sydney by that stage)

Another game on the weekend that we didn't see in NSW was Manly Vs Western Reds, mainly shown in Perth.

That's correct. It was only for Perth viewers. Same thing when Broncos or Knights played in Sydney: only the people living in those areas (Ch9 Brisbane, NBN) got to see those games.

Speaking of Rams games, does anyone know who this caller was:

Dunno, but I do remember that chunky digital timepiece the Rams home games had during '98. Ch9 Adelaide did televise Rams home games at Adelaide Oval until they moved to Hindmarsh Stadium later in the year. I distinctly remember the first Thursday Night Footy Show after Rams thrashed Balmain 52-0 at Hindmarsh and the panel were making fun of Blocker. It was only ground footage that appeared in the highlights.

It don't think it's Greg Clark though, as he was the lead caller for Fox Sports during 1997-2000 and none of those games shown by Ch9 Adelaide were replayed by Fox/Optus (see below), and they have never been replayed on tv since. Fox/Optus did not replay several games that were initially televised exclusively in one geographical area, such as those Adelaide home games covered by Ch9 Adelaide (including the one vs St George where Tony Iro ran over the dead ball line after the siren). Only people living in Adelaide got to watch those games at the time, as Fox/Optus didn't see any value in replaying them. I distinctly remember reading some controversy about this in the newspaper that year where those who had Fox/Optus were complaining that they had been ripped off in not being able to see every game that was televised during the season.

Another one I also remember from '98 was when Broncos just beat Souffs in the final round to win the minor premiership 16-10. Wade Singleton (the Souffs fanatic) was blowing up deluxe that the game was only shown on Ch9 Brisbane and Fox/Optus didn't replay it, so only those people living in Brisbane got to see it. Newcastle vs Souths by NBN was another one I think (the game where Andrew Johns and Lee Jackson had a very heated verbal exchange before a line drop-out). So, some games that were on Ch9 Adelaide, Ch9 Brisbane etc were only for those people living in those particular geographic areas. With that said though, I'm sure Ch9 Adelaide haven't thrown away the Rams games they covered at the time and have it in their archives, including the Tony Iro incident.

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
I remember the 1995 game at Marathon, Jonathan Davies scored a 50m try from a scrum feed, it was pretty much the only highlight of his 14 game career with us.
The Welsh Wizard, I remember that try.

Latest posts