What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Fifita compared to Arthur Beetson

davi

Juniors
Andrew Fifita compared to Arthur Beetson is a big call considering Beetson is an immortal. Fifita has suggested that Beetson was before his time so he never got to saw him play. I didn't either, 1980 state of origin doesn't really count Beetson was in his twilight years then.

It should be noted though that 'comparing' someone to their other players talent and 'reminding' commentators from similar playing styles are two separate issues.

"Andrew Fifita never laid eyes on Arthur Beetson, although he is flattered by the comparisons.

"To have those calls, it's a privilege," he said, before adding with his trademark guffaw: "I never got to see Artie play, but if he played like me he's a legend."

Fifita also has the chance to become a Great of Origin. Not since Big Artie has a front rower so imposed himself on the contest. Upon returning to the Kangaroos, Fifita saw his name on an Australian honour board. Next to it was that of Arthur Beetson, as a member of the team of the century.

"It was an honour just to be part of the team but to see that, I was just stoked," Fifita said.

After Wednesday's heroics, there are fresh comparisons. The physique, the footwork and, most notably, that uncanny ability to bend the line and still promote the football.

"He's got the same motto as me, I risk things. You got to risk it for the biscuit," Fifita said of his knack for offloading the Steeden.

"I just play what's in front of me, that's just me as a player. I guess you could say I'm versatile for a front rower, I'm a bit different.

"I feel like I'm a half but at the end of the day I'm a frontrower. I just look up and see what's in front of me and go for glory."

Debate will rage about whether Australian selectors made the right call in overlooking Fifita for the Clive Churchill medal. There could be no denying him this time. The 27 year old earned man of the match honours after scattering would-be Maroons defenders on Wednesday night in one of the great Origin front-row performances.

"This is what you live for, big games like these," he said.

"Big games like the Aussies, that's the pinnacle, the jersey you want to get,

"They say this is pretty much a trial match to be part of the World Cup squad. I felt I did my job, I got the starting gig I always wanted. It's a credit, a goal, to get one of the starting gigs.

"At the end of the day I thought I did the jersey proud and the state proud."

Fifita's assault briefly halted when he was taken from the field to undergo a concussion test. He passed, returned to the field with renewed vigour and scored the try that ultimately sealed the result.

"I've got a job to do and that job is easy," Fifita said.

"I'm a front rower - just grab the ball, run hard and tackle harder."

Fifita's Blues teammates were full of praise after the barnstorming performance.

"He was outstanding, really hard to handle," said fellow forward and Blues debutant Jake Trbojevic.

"He made great runs, offloaded the ball and just did a great job to get us on the front foot."

Blues skipper Boyd Cordner added: "He's shown in the past, especially in the grand final, he's really playing well in the big games.

"He's always a relaxed character and the boys feed off that. He's a great player and he showed that with a couple of his plays that got us on the front foot, how damaging he can be."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...ons-great-arthur-beetson-20170601-gwhx0o.html

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Shouldn’t this be tenuously linked to an Arthur Beetson thread from 1978?

Think of the data!

There’s no doubt that Fifita is a special player though. I’ve never seen a front rower with the size, skill and mobility that he possesses. Has a massive tank too.

I’m not in a position to compare him to Beetson though. Only footage I’ve seen of Beetson is picking fights in Origin 1.

Last edited:

Clifferd

Coach
Play at this level for the next 5-6 years and there's no doubt he can be an immortal

He's definitely the best forward of this era at the minute

ba0ca98715c0c239d61604744028342b.jpg

One of the all-time greatest Blues.

Canard

Immortal
He is certainly the closest to that era of all the modern props. Has a combination of mongrel, cunning, leg drive and offload like all the greats did.

He looks somewhat ungainly in his running style, but Jesus its effective.

If he controls some of that mongrel, and gets that milking from his game he could end up being one of the very best.

I do feel that he may implode sooner rather than later though. But like Neil Young said its better to burn out than fade away.

POPEYE

Coach
Anyone who watched Beetson play his entire career will tell it wasn't any easier for him than it was for Fifita, he had concentration problems when he started. If you watch Fifita come to the line, waltz through it and get the ball away that's pure Beetson

Beetson liked to punch on if the game called for it but he read the game like Johns/Thurston, not sure Fifita's got anywhere near the same smarts. Artie did what he did with one shot at it, we'll never know how much better he would've been if given the luxury of resting in the same way Andrew is

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Fifita is in the form of his life, best forward in the game currently. At a prime age and fit as a fiddle.

But they compared Greg Bird to Wally Lewis after one good Origin game also.

Ring Gids

Juniors
Gal will be disappointed no that no one has raised his game 2 performance from 2011. Thedrug cheat must hate being out of the limelight at origin time

OldPanther

Coach
If he keeps the form from the last year or so consistent for his career he will be on that level.

davi

Juniors
Fifita is in the form of his life, best forward in the game currently. At a prime age and fit as a fiddle.

But they compared Greg Bird to Wally Lewis after one good Origin game also.

I'm pretty sure that was a comment made by Bob Fulton in the papers. It was hardly a consensus of commentators that agreed with that.

Greg Bird at that stage of his career was considered a part time five-eighth, and a natural secound row enforcer which is what he remained. No one seriously agreed with Fulton's analysis that Bird had a similar style to Wally Lewis.

Since I really started not giving two-shits about off-field stuff (Cody Walker is an exception at the moment), watching players play and ply their trade...it's far more entertaining. Turn the commentators down or off, and just watch.

Fafita was destructive in that first 25 in SOO1. He murdered the GF in 2016. Purely on those alone, I think he's a ripper dipper dandy player. If he keeps it up, Qld will be sore and sorry for a few years.

typicalfan

Coach
Fifita has glaring weaknesses. There is no doubt about that. Daley and Sterlo both acknowledged that. But thats what he is capable of when his head is right

carcharias

Immortal
Arthur didn't have the extra burden of having his every off field move scrutinised
either.

It's a miracle Fifita did what he did last year and I think he is about to finally deliver big time.
The tigers are f**king idiots btw.
Deadset
What was the original deal again?
Sharks will take Bryce Gibbs or heino if they chuck in Fifita??