What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qld changes for game 2

OldPanther

Coach
After thinking about it for a while, i fear Valentine Holmes more then i fear Slater. May sound crazy but hear me out. Queensland have a lot of older or out of form forwards. They also miss Matt scott immensly. They really struggled to get any go forward. This started from the kick. Blues were kicking straight to oates, pinning him down in his corner. What this did was eliminate oates from tabling a power hit up early in the set. Without oates it was up to the other members of the back 5 to get the go forward. O'neill was shithouse at this Boyd isn't good at this, while chambers and gagai are ok at it. This gave new south wales the forward advantage before the forwards were even involved. By comparison the blues back 5 done a great job of betting a roll on going. With this battle won it severely limited queenslands creative players, Boyd being one of them. Would Slater being able to succeed where Boyd failed? Boyd is no slouch. He has been great for Queensland and australia over the last 18 months. He has combined well with smith cronk and Thurston. I don't believe slater would have been anymore effective if he was in boyd's place on Wednesday. Qld will lose O'Neill, a huge bonus. But how he is replaced will be of interest. If slater comes in you can kick to oates and have slater, Boyd, gagai and chambers to start the roll on. If Holmes comes in you'd stick to kicking to oates but now Holmes, gagai, chambers and boyd will help start the roll on. If queensland get rolling Boyd will be back to his damaging best.

The perfect example is the Penrith game yesterday. Remove Moylan/Hiku from the back and replace with Mansour/Edwards we got massive starts to our sets. Slater/Holmes would be great at it for QLD and as a NSW supporter that combo worries me more.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
The perfect example is the Penrith game yesterday. Remove Moylan/Hiku from the back and replace with Mansour/Edwards we got massive starts to our sets. Slater/Holmes would be great at it for QLD and as a NSW supporter that combo worries me more.

I had Dylan in my SC yesterday didn't do that much, it was all Mansour. Slater isn't renowned for those type of carries anyway last time he was selected on the wing to do that he was smashed out of the series. Holmes is nowhere near mansours calibre for hard yardage and workload

OldPanther

Coach
I had Dylan in my SC yesterday didn't do that much, it was all Mansour. Slater isn't renowned for those type of carries anyway last time he was selected on the wing to do that he was smashed out of the series. Holmes is nowhere near mansours calibre for hard yardage and workload

One of our tries yesterday came from Dylan making a good run to about the 40 - 50 metre line which Mansour backed up off the quick ptb (something Dill was getting regularly) and down we rolled.

I don't think they are are 1 for 1 comparison in style but they will make a massive difference though to how QLD start their sets.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
One of our tries yesterday came from Dylan making a good run to about the 40 - 50 metre line which Mansour backed up off the quick ptb (something Dill was getting regularly) and down we rolled.

I don't think they are are 1 for 1 comparison in style but they will make a massive difference though to how QLD start their sets.

i actually think they've got the right wingers to do that already. boyd's problem is he doesn't get involved enough instead positioning his wingers for better field position to start a set, it probably more accentuates how badly qld's forwards where beaten in the middle that the yardage of their wingers was actually more middle field stuff. slater and holmes won't make any difference if their forwards get bashed like that again

OldPanther

Coach
i actually think they've got the right wingers to do that already. boyd's problem is he doesn't get involved enough instead positioning his wingers for better field position to start a set, it probably more accentuates how badly qld's forwards where beaten in the middle that the yardage of their wingers was actually more middle field stuff. slater and holmes won't make any difference if their forwards get bashed like that again

Just watching the Sterlo show and Mick Ennis agrees with me.

Hutty1986

Immortal
The problem with Darius is that despite showing he can be a strong returner of the footy, he seems to hate physical contact these days. Most of the time on the wing for qld the only time you'd see him was his usual flop over the line from 5 or 10m out.

davi

Juniors
Former Queensland greats go BOLD, call for Billy Slater and Valentine Holmes to play and have only two forwards on the bench. Despite Cory Oates form they have also moved him to the bench as a utility. It's a risky selection there is more in the link.

1 Billy Slater

2 Darius Boyd

3 Will Chambers

4 Dane Gagai

5 Valentine Holmes

6 Johnathan Thurston

7 Cooper Cronk

8 Jarrod Wallace

9 Cameron Smith

10 Dylan Napa

11 Matt Gillett

12 Josh Papalii

13 Josh McGuire

14 Michael Morgan

15 Corey Oates

16 Sam Thaiday

17 Coen Hess

18th Korbin Sims

19th Ash Taylor

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sta...t/news-story/5f1040ccab114aa9cb998e78de0bd387

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Barely. Neither deserved to be picked in Origin I.

Sam Stone has better stats than Myles (that is fact, not a sarcastic comment)

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Holmes is a better player than Oates who I think is in the side to supplement the pretty ordinary forward pack we've rolled out. Very much like the broncos at the moment I just don't see where the metres are coming from.
a top 4 side with an ordinary forward pack? righto...

big hit!

Bench
The problem with Darius is that despite showing he can be a strong returner of the footy, he seems to hate physical contact these days. Most of the time on the wing for qld the only time you'd see him was his usual flop over the line from 5 or 10m out.

he must have read this comment during the week, because on one particular return last night he didn't shirk the contact when he ploughed into the souths defensive line on a return. there were 3 Souths players in that tackle and they didn't put him down on the ground. he basically set up the set with a quick play the ball and ensuing yards from the broncos getting them down into their attacking red zone.

i don't get the boyd hate. in any other era without Slater, he'd be a great himself.

Latest posts