What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jai Field

mickeylane

Bench
I noticed that in the Newcastle side there were about three players in the side that were between 20 and 21.
Their coach was not afraid to go with those players, I doubt whether Mary has the guts to do that.
Glad to see Brownie giving these guys a chance. As one commentator said that with these players Newcastle will be a strong side in 2018.
If Newcastle land Bird they will have a spine of
Pongya
Bird
Hodgkinson
Kostyasan
They will be top 8 material next year!

BringTheNoise

Juniors
WHERE WILL FIELD PLAY?

Don’t expect to see Jai Field playing fullback for St George Illawarra next season.

The crafty half has been tipped as the man to take over from Cronulla bound Josh Dugan next season but the 19-year-old has burst that thought bubble.

While Field’s body is maturing against men playing in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW, the livewire is still only 79 kilos.

Field revealed he will make the move from the halves into the No.1 at some stage but it’s unlikely that will come in 2018.

“Playing five-eighth at the moment, for my body is probably where I need to play,” Field told Private Ryan.
“You’re getting knocked around at fullback. Down the track I’d definitely like to play fullback.

“I’m a runner. I have some good feet and pretty fast so I’d like to mix it up there.

“Growing up I played a lot of fullback coming out of SG Ball and club footy with Shellharbour Sharks first grade, I played fullback in the grand final.”

Since making his NRL debut in round one this season, Field has gone on to play a handful of games in the top grade.

Still eligible for the NYC, Field led the NSW 20s Origin side to victory against Queensland last fortnight.

He’s also spent time with the Cutters but adding size to his 180cm frame has proved difficult after suffering from shin splints halfway through pre-season.

Sitting at 79 kilos, he wants to get up to the 86 kilo mark by next season with his focus for the remainder of the year, working on his body.

“My physicality,” he said when asked what he’s working on.

“I’m still a bit small to play against men. I can get knocked around a bit because I am a small frame.

“I’ll hopefully put a few more kilos on in the next pre-season and hopefully I’m ready to go.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...n/news-story/d5847335742ee6363685aba66f963589

JDHD

Juniors
I want that whole group of 20s who have been elevated to Cup this year to spend the whole year in cup and build their bodies. They're playing well but none of them have been outstanding at Cup level bar Host and Leilua (and he's inconsistent, too) which is what you look for when considering whether you elevate a player into first grade. I want them in Cup building their bodies and abilities and then bring them into grade next year where injuries allow.

Thats the reason why Herbert, Lawrie and Field haven't dropped back they want to get them exsposed to a higher level of play.

The thing with Illawarra this year is the inconsistant coaching of Head and the massive amount of injuries to key players ie Nona, Havili and Hutchison.

Now we are seeing Garrick and Robson also moved up to NSW Cup which imo is a good thing, yes it may sting the under 20's a little but allows Purcell and Morris more exsposure to that system which they need.

Next year with the change in the lower grade formats you will see a rather youngish Dragons second grade team.

JDHD

Juniors
Yeah, I meant more that I don't want Field coming up every few weeks and getting five minutes or so.

I think the important thing to remember about our 20s side this year is that the majority of them are straight out of Harold Matthews and yet they're a top 4 side. They'll be a great source of quality players for a long time.

denis preston

First Grade
Yeah, I meant more that I don't want Field coming up every few weeks and getting five minutes or so.

I think the important thing to remember about our 20s side this year is that the majority of them are straight out of Harold Matthews and yet they're a top 4 side. They'll be a great source of quality players for a long time.

Yes the nursery is really producing at the moment so our pathways & recruitment policies are geared towards this it would seem.

Its not just the Illawarra its also the HPU finding players in other areas ie Steve Marsters and Patrick Herbert.

I saw where Illawarra was heading with giving younger players an oppurtunity in the NSW cup but that has turned into a bit of a joke when they gave Willie Manu a run.

Several of their contracted players have told Head they are not interested anymore and have decided to just stick with the local scene.

Latest posts